Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P Boot Issue?

Associate
I built a new X99 system (specs in signature) in August 2015 based around a Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P and it had been running great until about 10 days ago. When I tried to switch the PC on after a normal shutdown the night before it just wouldn't boot or power on at all. After trying all the usual things I'm leaning towards having to replace the motherboard but thought I'd check here first.

The components all ran at stock settings and temps were always good -- I'm also using an APC 1400 AVR UPS for power line conditioning. There is no visible sign of catastrophic hardware failure on any of the components. I've stripped everything down using an ES wrist pad and reseated all the components and tried isolating the RAM modules, etc. Also ran a paperclip test on the PSU, which showed it to be working. I then thought it could be the case I/O module (power switch) - I tried swapping the reset and power switch and jumping the switches but no luck.

Corsair sent me a replacement I/O unit for the Carbide 540 this week which I've installed over the weekend and it's made no effect so I can rule that out. I'm pretty sure the motherboard has the latest f22 bios (I flashed it last about a year ago) but at the moment with it not booting or powering on at all I can't even reflash it. I've cleared the CMOS using a jumper, removed and reinserted the battery but no dice. Is there a way to safely jumpstart this motherboard?

I've got spare components but not a spare X99 mobo or DDR4 RAM to test. I've been building my own PCs since the mid 90s and this has me stumped!

Anyway, any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Soldato
I've had 2 fail on me early after the 8pack 5820K + 5P bundle was released. They just stop working without warning. You can only try what you have and ultimately swap out the CPU + RAM to be sure. I was lucky to have a spare Xeon, RAM, PSU etc. and could then confidently RMA them (at the time). I still have two now which have worked for the last year or so after a BIOS release on the forum fixed the cold boot issues.

I'm fairly sure you already have a later BIOS though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Bimble.

Yeah, as you say it could be the CPU and/or RAM - I'm not able to check that at the moment. When I assembled the whole rig back in 2015 I did have an issue with the initial Ballistix 32GB kit I used (one of the sticks was faulty) but at least it would boot. If I recall the early X99 boards and bioses seemed to have quite sensitive RAM tolerances although my system had been really stable since that RAM issue.

I'm thinking about ordering one of the revised Asus X99 boards from 2016. Am loathe to do it with Threadripper around the corner however needs must! I like the TUF Sabertooth as well but I don't think they refreshed it?

Associate
I built a new X99 system (specs in signature) in August 2015 based around a Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P and it had been running great until about 10 days ago. When I tried to switch the PC on after a normal shutdown the night before it just wouldn't boot or power on at all. After trying all the usual things I'm leaning towards having to replace the motherboard but thought I'd check here first.

The components all ran at stock settings and temps were always good -- I'm also using an APC 1400 AVR UPS for power line conditioning. There is no visible sign of catastrophic hardware failure on any of the components. I've stripped everything down using an ES wrist pad and reseated all the components and tried isolating the RAM modules, etc. Also ran a paperclip test on the PSU, which showed it to be working. I then thought it could be the case I/O module (power switch) - I tried swapping the reset and power switch and jumping the switches but no luck.

Corsair sent me a replacement I/O unit for the Carbide 540 this week which I've installed over the weekend and it's made no effect so I can rule that out. I'm pretty sure the motherboard has the latest f22 bios (I flashed it last about a year ago) but at the moment with it not booting or powering on at all I can't even reflash it. I've cleared the CMOS using a jumper, removed and reinserted the battery but no dice. Is there a way to safely jumpstart this motherboard?

I've got spare components but not a spare X99 mobo or DDR4 RAM to test. I've been building my own PCs since the mid 90s and this has me stumped!

Anyway, any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Hello BrynS,

If the issue is related to the motherboard, let us know and we will get it looked at for you ASAP.

Associate
OP
Having now had the chance to swap in a different X99 motherboard the system is booting and working as normal so it would appear that the Gaming 5P is the issue.

Hello BrynS,

If the issue is related to the motherboard, let us know and we will get it looked at for you ASAP.
Thanks GIGA-Man. The motherboard was purchased from OcUK on 09/08/15. Shall I initiate an RMA with OcUK or can I send it directly to yourselves for processing?

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quick update. I sent the Gaming 5P back to Gigabyte UK at the end of last month after a couple of e-mails and a pretty straightforward RMA process. Staff replied very quickly throughout. It was shipped back about a week later - the repaired notice didn't go into detail but the board has been flashed with the latest f23 bios and all appears stable now after a clean Windows 10 installation and data backup.

I'd swapped in two other X99 motherboards (Asrock X99 Taichi and Asus X99 Strix Gaming) in the interim and both had niggles so I'm glad to have a stable rig back...hopefully it will last longer than the initial 21 month run!

Thanks again, GIGA-Man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom