Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 - Beware

Associate
Hi. So me and my brother both have the same computers. i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz, GTX460, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 and OCZ 650W PSU

My brothers motherboard packed up two weeks ago. It would turn on, fans and led lights would power up for a second then turn off. This would loop forever. We made sure it wasnt the power supply by plugging in my beast PC Power & Cooling 850W PSU and same thing occured.We also made sure it wasnt the GFX by using a 4870X2 which draws loads more power and it still happened.
We then sent it back to OCUK and we got a new one. (Quickly too, thanks OCUK, best service!)

Then today my PC had the exact same problem. I'm pretty sure as we both run identical builds and the problem is exactly the same that the motherboard is again faulty.

Just to warn people out there that the Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 will probably have problems after two months or we are just extremly unlucky ):

Thanks Joe

Last edited:
Caporegime
We must be unlucky then, Hopefully this RMA will go fine and I'll have a nice working mobo.
For now back to using a P4 and 6600GT ):

There are LOTS of people that had issues with the Z68 Ud3p board and it affects this one too, POS gigabyte bios support workers :p

Though since updating to F7 I've had one cold boot loop in well over a month, a number of others have had none at all. Use some of my overclock settings to get those boards up and running :)

Soldato
I cant update the mobo to F7 as it turns itself off before the screen has recognised it has an input... Just gonna send it back and see what happens

Boot loop of death!

Often caused by a bad overclock. The F7 BIOS is supposed to improve stability and resolve the power on issue. Must say mine has been a lot better since I used it.

Also have read that BLOD can also be caused by using reset button if your PC freezes and its O/C.

What I believe happens is the motherboard detects something wrong with the main BIOS so tries to use the secondary BIOS to boot from but before it can do so the main BIOS has already decided to trigger the reset.

Back
Top Bottom