Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK possibly faulty from blown PSU

Soldato
Last night my Super Flower HX 700W PSU blew (loud pop and spark). I took it out and put in my Corsair HX 620W PSU, but now the PC powers up for a few seconds then restarts itself. All the fans inside spin and my GTX 970 LED lights turn on so there is power going through the motherboard.

However if the Super Flower PSU caused damage to my motherboard where do I stand with Super Flower and Gigabyte? Both are still under warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Last night my Super Flower HX 700W PSU blew (loud pop and spark). I took it out and put in my Corsair HX 620W PSU, but now the PC powers up for a few seconds then restarts itself. All the fans inside spin and my GTX 970 LED lights turn on so there is power going through the motherboard.

However if the Super Flower PSU caused damage to my motherboard where do I stand with Super Flower and Gigabyte? Both are still under warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully a Gigabyte Rep will be able to have a quick look at this thread :)

wouldn't want to comment on what you should do, but I would normally contact reseller and state boards not working and is under warranty. Tried Two PSUs and board doesn't work. :D
But some do want specific details and I believe OCUK test parts that come in

Soldato
OP
Yep I sent OCUK Customer Services a web note this morning, I bought everything from them but not sure of the motherboard is still under warranty as I bought it in October 2014. But I remember it having some sort of "upgrade scheme" that allowed me to upgrade to the next gen motherboard within the first 5 years I think, don't know how that affects standings.

You'd think a PSU would have sort of built in protection to the rest of the computer when things like this happen.

Soldato
OP
Done an RMA on the PSU, very easy to use service :)

Sent OCUK Customer Service a message about the PSU possibly damaging my Motherboard. Shall I start the RMA process on Gigabytes website?

Soldato
OP
Ok tried booting with each part in and still the same. Took it out the case and all I have connected is cpu, ram and psu. When I power it up I do hear a feint click then the cpu fan spins but then it restarts etc....

I'm going to RMA the board with Gigabyte. It's meant to have all these features like surge protection and ultra durability but the haven't helped. Is there anyway to check its not the cpu?

Soldato
Yep I sent OCUK Customer Services a web note this morning, I bought everything from them but not sure of the motherboard is still under warranty as I bought it in October 2014. But I remember it having some sort of "upgrade scheme" that allowed me to upgrade to the next gen motherboard within the first 5 years I think, don't know how that affects standings.

You'd think a PSU would have sort of built in protection to the rest of the computer when things like this happen.

Drop Gigabyte UK a message on Facebook -DM. There the mono team, should give you help with the upgrade option . was talking about this not long ago, should still be valid

Soldato
OP
I was thinking, would I hear bleeps if I turned it on with no CPU in? At the moment I hear no beeps at all, it doesn't even get that far

Soldato
OP
Gigabyte RMAs in the UK go through the location you bought the hardware from, so for me that's OCUK. Got a response from customer services saying they don't cover damage caused by faulty hardware.

I bought both PSU and Motherboard from OCUK and both are under warranty, can someone help me out here please? The motherboard is registered for the Black Edition Upgrade Program if that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks GIGA-Man! The RMA is going to cost me £15 if I do it direct to yourselves. I've posted in the Customer Services thread asking if I can organise the RMA through OCUK like I did for the faulty PSU last Friday as that won't cost me anything.

Soldato
OP
Got an email from the testing team, they couldn't find a fault :confused: They tested it and it posted to Windows.

When it arrives I'll reassemble the computer and fingers crossed it will work. Here's a video of what was happening

Maybe it's the Brocken 2 CPU cooler causing the motherboard to short? When I reseated it I didn't actually take the backplate off so it could have been that all along.

Soldato
OP
Got the motherboard back from RMA.

Unfortunately the problem is still there. Please look at this video I took:

It's behaving the same way as it did before I sent it away. I've even bought a new case and cpu cooler just in case it was them.

Please help.

Thanks

Soldato
Got the motherboard back from RMA.

Unfortunately the problem is still there. Please look at this video I took:

It's behaving the same way as it did before I sent it away. I've even bought a new case and cpu cooler just in case it was them.

Please help.

Thanks

the only man changing factor between OCUK testing and your testing would be the CPU....

dont suppose you have a spare one, a friend with one or able to land a very basic and cheap one off the bay/MM to test faulty CPU?

Soldato
OP
Okay this is strange, did you test the board out side the system? We can always look at the board again but it may well be the CPU.

Yep I already tried that. Got an i5 and plugged it in and all worked. Im positive from all the testing I've done its the motherboard.

Soldato
Yep I already tried that. Got an i5 and plugged it in and all worked. Im positive from all the testing I've done its the motherboard.

Okay this is strange, did you test the board out side the system? We can always look at the board again but it may well be the CPU.

was OCUK that testes the Board right in-house as you did the RMA through them?

might be worth as suggested to go through their RMA.

If you do have the Upgrade scheme, and im sure its valid... PERFECT time to whack in a X370 or Z270 :~D. Thats me personally, get an up to date board and flog CPU on the bay/MM :D

Soldato
OP
Yes OCUK did the testing. I don't want to spend money on an upgrade I don't really need, yes I could sell my CPU and RAM but then I'll need to add at least an extra £200 to get an i7 7700k and DDR4 RAM to go with the Z270 upgrade board.

Soldato
Yes OCUK did the testing. I don't want to spend money on an upgrade I don't really need, yes I could sell my CPU and RAM but then I'll need to add at least an extra £200 to get an i7 7700k and DDR4 RAM to go with the Z270 upgrade board.
only thing I can think of is if OCUK did the testing and was fine, back to yourself and its still playing up is to send directly to Gigabyte for RMA with them.
Another round of testing from a different party may kick up the same faults as your getting .

Monies still on CPU if tested fine with OCUK but you've stated youve tried another CPU so just have to hope Gigabyte pulls up the problem. Sure they will be happy to help :) Think it might get tested personally :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom