1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gina Rinehart calls for Australian wage cut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elmarko, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

Perhaps she can lead the way and give a sizeable amount to the less fortunate. I somehow doubt she will.

2. Gooner Leroy

Mobster

That's my contingency plan. Just have to start saving

3. starfighter

Mobster

Stupid scag

4. Windle

Capodecina

Found it quite amusing Julia Gillard getting involved as she is hardly squeeky clean herself

5. RDM

Capodecina

Unlike some of the mega rich she seems somewhat adverse to philanthropy so you are probably right there.

6. elmarko

Capodecina

It's sad when you find a person who's only redeeming feature is the fact they won't be around much longer (looking at her weight/age).

7. dante6491

Soldato

She does kind of have a point, but completely misses it.

It is very difficult for companies in UK/AUS/America/"Western World" to remain competitive when there are people in the less developed who are able to be employed for a tenth of what it costs to employ someone domestically.

This is wrong kind of. Wages should be proportional to cost of living, but being so horrendously low in elsewhere is terrible.

8. marmalade

Wise Guy

not an appetizing family - trough wallowers
    Oz a country aspiring to fair goes!

9. Evangelion

Capodecina

Rinehart is a joke. The average Australia doesn't give a toss about what she thinks, and we can afford to take this attitude because she has no political clout.

You got screwed bad. I'm on $70 per month with no cap at all. Totally unlimited.

10. ThomasTheTankEngine

Wise Guy

She looks like a deep-fried Kathy Bates.

11. Mr_T

Hitman

My experience of mining in Australia

1. It's unbelievably safe, the mining companies take health and safety very seriously and it influences all their decisions

2. The wages aren't as high as first perceived, when you work on a site you'll be doing 12 hour days for your shift pattern typically it works out that you work the equivalent of 60hour weeks. So hourly rate isn't that different from a 40hr/week city job.

3. The iron ore mining industry is under some stress at the moment due to the drop in ore prices. The big mining companies are making efficiencies to keep costs down, Rio Tinto for example have driverless trucks, all remotely controlled by someone sat a 1000 miles away.

4. Cost of living is generally ok, but WA is the most expensive state on most accounts.

12. marmalade

Wise Guy

Don't insult Kathy Bates - great actress and reasonable poysonage!

13. Evangelion

Capodecina

But without the winning personality.

:D

14. Meridian

Man of Honour

So why, when they suggest a wage cut, do they never suggest cutting their own wages, or those of the senior staff, only the junior ones? Why do the wages of the people who actually do the work have to "compete" with Third World wages to be as low as possible, but the wages of senior managers and execs need to "compete" with the huge wages of their US equivalents to be as high as possible? If she was to halve her own salary, she would still be vastly better off than all or almost all of her employees, but the company would be more competitive because of reduced overheads. But anyone want to suggest the odds of that happening?

15. DAIR

Sgarrista

Looks more like a Euro Millions Lotto winner....

16. elmarko

Capodecina

Exactly this.

17. dante6491

Soldato

Indeed I do agree. However a lot of the time the super wealthy don't draw that much of a salary. Buffet takes home $150k from Berkshire Hathaway. The extra $bn he earns are from shares and other financial products. I can't comment on Rinehart's salary as I have no idea what it is.

18. Kamwah

PermaBanned

It's always fine to say "Let's work for less" when you make more than nearly anyone else in your country.

19. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

I would sleep with her for her money.

20. Evangelion

Capodecina

I don't know about salary, but she earned $18.87 billion in 2011. That's a pretty good wicket.