Gina Rinehart calls for Australian wage cut

Soldato
Its unfortunate that these are the type of people that never get cancer or die in a car crash...

Typical rich scum at its finest, not only is she trying to hog all the wealth/resources but looks like she's having a go at owning all the food.

We can only hope that there is such a thing as karma and it strikes hard and fast.

Caporegime
There are more people on the world capable of shovelling coal than can grow an international business though, for example.

Some jobs are more commoditised than others.

Rinehart was born into that, I highly doubt she actually does a damn thing.

Kinda feels like the Oil rush of the US, somewhat. (with all the mob-like families etc) ;)

Soldato
Rinehart was born into that, I highly doubt she actually does a damn thing.

Kinda feels like the Oil rush of the US, somewhat. (with all the mob-like families etc) ;)

I'm not suggesting she does, but I'm trying to offer an explanation of why execs always call for pay cuts whilst taking more themselves.

Permabanned
By all means. My point being simply that outside of tax liabilities if you're enriched by a certain amount over a given period of time then you've got that much more money, how it comes to you isn't all that important except for the purposes of tax liabilities or evasion/avoidance if you want to put it in those terms. You can divide it up into 34 different payment streams and types if you want but if it's all adding to net wealth then it's a bit of a semantic distinction to draw except for the purpose outlined above.

I'm not so sure, when it's avenues or 'streams' that are unavailable at lower economic levels then it is certainly more exlusive. It is practically impossible to engage in evasion being a PAYE employee for example. You may recieve benefits but to the extent these add to your net wealth is situational and perhaps subjective. At the other end, the world is your oyster so to speak especially towards the top.

Does that impact on net wealth for the type of high worth individuals described? To them personally and some economic thinking no, yet I am never inclined to let a point about individualism and taxation slide without a gentle nudge towards the majority of tax payers who do not engage like for like, the morallity and responsibility to society.

Afterall wealth that is harder to tax is less useful to society, especially considering some of the vacuous schemes invented by financial institutions, and all the mediocre efforts from the smaller cottage industry.

Soldato
I'm not suggesting she does, but I'm trying to offer an explanation of why execs always call for pay cuts whilst taking more themselves.

because the executive role attracts a sort of person, it rhymes with punt.
I haven't met a an executive that wasn't so far up his own rectum but I suppose the job requires a high level of confidence.

Its is funny that executives that give away fast sums of money to charity are ignored yet those that horde away there wealth are held up as idols, kinda a sad reflection upon the current direction and nature of humanity

Caporegime
This is the woman who won't give her kids much in the way of cash... while, on the face of it, it seems greedy to demand cash from your parents if you're one of the potential heirs to a muti-billion dollar fortune and subject to some media interest then there would seem to be a potential kidnap threat.

edit: I was also told that Australian women have on average the largest bust size in the world...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Australia

£77k+ in Aus is not really that much - especially for a job that is as dangerous as the mining industry - and probably has shift/anti-social hours.
People seem to forget the cost of living is probably one of the highest in the world over there

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/london/sydney

about 1% difference compared with London according to that website....

Caporegime
Its unfortunate that these are the type of people that never get cancer or die in a car crash...

Typical rich scum at its finest, not only is she trying to hog all the wealth/resources but looks like she's having a go at owning all the food.

We can only hope that there is such a thing as karma and it strikes hard and fast.

Ethiopian_Scene.jpg

Soldato
Australia is ****ing expensive, I'm sat in a hostel in Sydney now. Have spent $7000 or so dollars since I arrived 2 months ago!!! (But that includes partying hard, and doing most tours in sight down the entire east coast)

The wages out here, people on fruit picking mon-fri who I've spoken to are on the equivalent of 30k GBP per annum (although they only do it for 3 months for their 2nd year VISA eligibility)

Soldato
Not really.

Money as a abstract construct isn't a permanently integrated feature of humanity.

It's a reality of our current society, but not of life as a whole.

Besides, redistribution to reduce the total differences could still keep the "rich/poor system" - but with small total differences between the two groups (which would yield better social cohesion).

Moot point seeing as we don't live in 700bc.

And seeing as what we have is what we've got, it's a harsh reality.

Soldato
Hmmm what very rich people really think, the world over! Well, there will always be a need for peasants and serfs to do the dirty work.
Its unfortunate that is what the majority of us will be soon.

Soldato
Had to laugh at a Facebook comment I saw regarding this, saying "I would love to wake that woman up by punching her in the face, every day, for the rest of her life."

Soldato
because the executive role attracts a sort of person, it rhymes with punt.
I haven't met a an executive that wasn't so far up his own rectum but I suppose the job requires a high level of confidence.

Its is funny that executives that give away fast sums of money to charity are ignored yet those that horde away there wealth are held up as idols, kinda a sad reflection upon the current direction and nature of humanity

I giggled. sorry :o

Soldato
http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/london/sydney

about 1% difference compared with London according to that website....

From that website :

1.) Food in Sydney (Australia) is 24% more expensive than in London (United Kingdom)
2.) Housing in Sydney (Australia) is 2% cheaper than in London (United Kingdom)
3.) Clothes in Sydney (Australia) is 33% more expensive than in London (United Kingdom)
4.) Transportation in Sydney (Australia) is 21% cheaper than in London (United Kingdom)
5.) Personal Care in Sydney (Australia) is 62% more expensive than in London (United Kingdom)
6.) Entertainment in Sydney (Australia) is 15% more expensive than in London (United Kingdom)

Doesn't really compute to me - but I suppose they are basing the difference on the amount some people would spend on transportation. For most in Sydney - this would be virtually nothing.

As well as that - the website doesn't take into account the real things people need to spend money on. Childrens schooling, medical bills, Insurance bills and most importantly Beer (in a bar) - which is extortionate prices. The other point to note is that Sydney is also considerably cheaper than most cities for almost everything apart from the housing - but for 90% of people including myslef who have been to Australia & lived/worked in Australia - the cost of living is miles higher than the UK - and that's even when earning $100,000 a year.

As an example....
http://www.coles.com.au/portals/0/content/images/catalogue/current/c-nsw-met/Coles-c-nsw-met.pdf

Try getting a beer in Perth and your eyes would water.
Edit : Just checked and average price in Perth is $10 (£6.49) a pint, London is £3.50 ($5.39) - Funnily enough Sydney is also $5.39.

Last edited:
Associate
It's the second idiotic thing she's said in a couple of weeks. Not many people had heard of her before that, I think there's merit in the idea that she's trying to build a larger widespread image. It's easy to build a large negative following and turn it around than build a positive one from scratch.

I think she has a 'wide' enough spread image already :p

Back
Top Bottom