Giving up smoking

Caporegime
Ive been considering jacking the ciggarettes in, i normally smoke about 20 a day from monday to friday, once the weekend kicks in, when im having a drink or two i smoke about 60 a day, anyone that has given up lately, do you have any tips/advice, did you go cold turkey or did you use certain aids such as patches, gum, inhilator etc.

Caporegime
OP
the amount you smoke is just disgusting

good luck quitting, good choice :)
Yep your right, its a bad habit and ive got stuck in a rut with it, i remember when my dad stopped, he was a 40 a day man, he jacked it in overnight, finished the last ciggarette in the packet and never smoked another, that was seven years ago, unfortunately i didnt inherit his will power.

Last edited:
Soldato
Read Alan Carrs book. His written two about giving up smoking. The first one should do it.

Its not anything other than 'flooding' so dont get worried that it will hypnotise you. It will however change your state of mind.

Give it ago, i know of several 'none gulliable or sheep like' people its worked on, including myself.

Oh, and its not about willpower what so ever, that would be your first and greatest mistake if you try to give up that way.

Last edited:
Associate
I tried a month ago, went 5 days and was itchin, stressed out! I bought one of them e-cigarettes, went 2 days on it and although it kind of helped, it tasted like I was inhaling playdoh. The taste is terrible, but that said if you can get used to it I'm sure it would do that desired job.

I'm back on 20 a day myself.

Caporegime
OP
I did try about 3 years ago, my relapse was in the pub, id managed to go 3 days cold turkey, first night in the pub i begged one from a mate, 5 mins later i was at the ciggarette machine getting a pack.

Soldato
Dont use nicotine supplements, thats also a sure way to fail.
Whats the point of trying to give something up and still take it in another form?
If your going to give up you need to give up!

Get...the...book...

Last edited:
Associate
i was smoking about 20 rollups a day, and have been a 'non-smoker' fro 6 months..

i downloaded an app for my iPhone, from Max Karsten using hypno-therapy, cost 6 quid and well worth..

i used some low strength nocotine gum (boots own) for my pangs the first couple of days, then moved to normal chewing gum, i can't even stand the smell of smoke anymore.

Associate
Read Alan Carrs book. His written two about giving up smoking. The first one should do it.

Its not anything other than 'flooding' so dont get worried that it will hypnotise you. It will however change your state of mind.

Give it ago, i know of several 'none gulliable or sheep like' people its worked on, including myself.

Oh, and its not about willpower what so ever, that would be your first and greatest mistake if you try to give up that way.

Can agree with this. I never though it'd work for me, but I guess it has. 5 years no ciggies now :) Also just worked (hopefully) for the missus.

I guess you never actually know if the book worked or not, as you may have given up anyway, but it's not gonna hurt. I read mine in 1 sitting in an evening.

Soldato
I used to smoke as heavily as you bud :)

20/30 a day and 50/60 at the weekend. Two years ago in November I decided I'd had enough, chucked a fresh deck in the bin and never looked back.

Now I'm a Personal Trainer :p

Ant :cool:

Soldato

I'd disagree with this. willpower is extremely important, but it's not a fixed trait. I lack the willpower to do a great many things, which is partly why I ended up doing close to no work at uni and dropping out. However, I'm in a career now that demands I work abominable hours, my commute's about 90 minutes if the bus runs properly (which it never does) and I'm working harder than I ever have before. After a year it's still a struggle to pull my lazy arse out of bed, but I do it because I know it's something I want to do - and I enjoy my work because of it. I'm getting to the point now where I should really quit smoking, and it's ****ing daunting, but I'm confident that I'll be able to do it, because I've reached the stage where I acknowledge to myself how much better off I'll be. You can't quit if you don't want to.

Soldato
I used to smoke as heavily as you bud :)

20/30 a day and 50/60 at the weekend. Two years ago in November I decided I'd had enough, chucked a fresh deck in the bin and never looked back.

Ant :cool:

Same here,after 20 years of smoking too.I had been out the night before & was feeling rough, i was going to work the next morning & lit up & i thought to myself.....this tastes rank,threw away half a pack & never touched another. That was 8 years ago.

Cold turkey & a bit of willpower worked for me in the end. I had tried to stop a few times before that,but failed..........So as deadbeat says in the post above. You can't quit if you don't want to

Rob

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
If you give up, you'll feel so much healthier for it. Honestly, you'll be wondering why you waited so long. You know it's bad for you, you obviously are enjoying it less and less. It's just a case of mind over matter, it really is. Prove how strong you can be and jack them in, now.

Most importantly, when you do jack them in; don't you dare start again. Avoid going drinking for a while as that will likely kick-start your habit again if you get drunk and fancy a puff.

Associate
I have smoked 20/day since 1990 and have just given up. Over 4 weeks without a ciggy atm and I'm not stressed at all.

A couple of tips that I think helped me...

1. Don't set a specific date to give up... You'll only get stressed about the prospect of giving up as the day in question draws closer. Result = greater probability of failure.

Instead, just wait for a day when you are in a good mood, relaxed, and preferrably busy, then just chuck your pack of cigs away and start from there.

2. There are two parts to giving up smoking imo; the nicotine addiction itself and the habit of reaching for a ciggy at specific times.

I recommend nicotine gum when you first give up. This will help in the beginning with the nicotine withdrawal while you are trying to deal with kicking the habit of actually reaching for a ciggy without even thinking about it.

Everyone is different so what what works for one might not work for someone else.

Just keep trying :cool:

Associate
I quit about 2 months ago and really glad I did. I had only been smoking for about a year, so was probably less dependant on them than some of you guys. I was on about 10-15 a day. I decided that enough was enough and just went cold turkey. I had try to cut down to 3 or 4 a day, but that didn't work for me. Was just an excuse to pretend I was quitting and that didn't last long.
I found the second day the hardest. Was at the pub all evening and my cravings were terrible. But a soldiered on through the evening (with a little help from our good friend alcohol) and made it to the third day. Cravings were less then, mainly because i never liked smoking with a hangover. By the fourth day my cravings were less and the only times I wanted a smoke were just force of habit times, like after meals, before bed etc. So I say if you can make it 3-5 days, and then resist all the times you would usually smoke after that, you'll get through it. I feel much better for quitting now and glad I did :)

Back
Top Bottom