Giving up your train seat...

Caporegime
Reminded me of this http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-up-my-seat-for-a-pregnant-woman-8545403.html

Esther Walker: I’d never give up my seat for a pregnant woman
In the jungle that is the Tube no one has the right to a seat, says a seven-months-pregnant Esther Walker

Personally I only give up a seat if someones looking particularly suffering, not just because they are old or pregnant. Just because you're old doesn't mean you have to sit down and it's almost disrespectful to keep asking older people if they do (most older people say no on the tube anyway) and on the other hand just because you're young doesn't mean you're fine to stand...

If you're hopping with a broken leg, old and frail bent over a walking stick or particularly heavily pregnant then that's different. Otherwise each to their own, especially if it's really early in the morning. The number of times I've almost puked on a packed train because I'm feeling bad from standing still for 20 minutes on a warm train early in the morning and no one gives me a seat...

Caporegime
Old people or pregnant women. Using London public transport; I have seen wild animals behave better. A real bug bear are morons with massive ruck sacks and no sense of spacial awareness!!

Associate
Pregnancy = lifestyle choice. If they are heavily pregnant and forced to take the train, it's their man who is responsible, not me, and it's their choice. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I wouldn't give up a seat for someone who was morbidly obese due to jamming a load of food into their face either.

*awaits backlash*

Associate
I recall taking the train whilst on crutches, as I had surgery on my hip some months prior. I had great difficulty holding on to the support beam, and yet no one was prepared to part with their seat, until an old gentleman got up and offered me his. A true exception to the rule.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Over 65 women
Over 65 men who look like they may have fought in a war
Pregnant or carrying an infant
Disabled

Disqualifiers: obesity, being a minority, looking gay.

Back
Top Bottom