Glasgow Uni to pay £20 million in slave reparations

Soldato
Soldato
Why do people in 2019 owe debts for things people did 200+ years ago lol. How much does Germany owe Britain for making us lose our Empire post WW2? I'll just take a new BMW M5 please

Soldato
£20m over 20 years split across two sites - Glasgow and the Caribbean to "sponsor research work and raise awareness of the history of slavery and its impact around the world"

Right. That means funding an education department in two locations.

Reparations my ass, everyone in the historic slave trade is generations dead and this is a university doing university things then deciding they can cram a PC label on it.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
£20m over 20 years split across two sites - Glasgow and the Caribbean to "sponsor research work and raise awareness of the history of slavery and its impact around the world"

Right. That means funding an education department in two locations.

Reparations my ass, everyone in the historic slave trade is generations dead and this is a university doing university things then deciding they can cram a PC label on it.

I agree

Permabanned
So if a white person who never faced discrimination is descended from a black slave from Jamaica 200 years ago, does s/he get reparations? They wouldn't exist at all if not for that black slave, so they are a product of slavery.

Soldato
Yes I don't think the UK having some POWs help with farming for a year quite covers the loss of the British Empire funnily enough

Hyperbole.

It was more than that.

The Empire started to fall apart, quite rightly, as a consequence of the war, but to make Germany pay for that doesn't make any sense. That we forced countries under our control to fight and pay for our war, righteous as it was, is what broke up the Empire if we're being simplistic about it.

Permabanned
Germany paid reparations in both wars since it lost. nothing more to it than that.
I'd argue the fall of Empire, and all the European colonial systems such as France, Belgium, Spain, was more than WWII. if WWII didn't happen, then there would have been far more harsh and oppressive anti-colonial wars than Vietnam or the Mau-Mau Rebellion. Gandhi had his major successes before the war started.

Soldato
Why do people in 2019 owe debts for things people did 200+ years ago lol. How much does Germany owe Britain for making us lose our Empire post WW2? I'll just take a new BMW M5 please

Ironically we’re still paying for the a Napoleonic Wars. The sovereign debt is still being paid and even the current interest rates aren’t low enough to make it worth buying them out. Although I think we did just buy out the last of the World War One debt.

Back
Top Bottom