Glasses : Eyesight worse

Soldato
Hi All,

Anybody else noticed there eyesight getting significantly worse in lockdown, I've been sat at a desk staring at a monitor working from home since March 2020 and while I need to go to the opticians to verify I can tell my near vision has deteriorated (I'm long sighted).

OK I guess it could have just got worse anyway as I'm no spring chicken (50) but I definitely think I'm now going to have to go varifocals or for two pairs of glasses.

Anybody else noticed the same?

Cheers

HEADRAT

Soldato
Yes. I went for an eye test pre lockdown as I could tell that pre lockdown they had deteriorated very slightly. The opticians said I was borderline glasses so I bought some cheap ones just to reduce eye strain.

Since March 2020 I have now noticed those same glasses make a massive difference over longer distances as well. So I can only assume that either age or sitting looking at 4 monitors all that time has had quite a negative impact.

Once the situation is a little better I will go for another eye test and see what they say. If it’s feasible I might even consider laser eye surgery but I’ve no idea if there is a ‘best’ time to get it.

Soldato
OP
Without the pandemic would you have been sat at a desk in the office staring at a monitor?

But in normal times I would also be driving to work etc, walking around the office, travelling to/attending customer meetings etc. The amount of time I now spend staring at a screen has massively increased e.g. all-day-every-day.

Soldato
I hope neither of you mean that literally.
Unfortunately it is an under statement for me.

Dodgy internet is making things a whole lot worse in addition to the increase in pressure in an already high pressure role. Have to catch up in the evenings. Haven't been outside since Sunday!

Bin day tomorrow though, woop.

Associate
Hi All,

Anybody else noticed there eyesight getting significantly worse in lockdown, I've been sat at a desk staring at a monitor working from home since March 2020 and while I need to go to the opticians to verify I can tell my near vision has deteriorated (I'm long sighted).

OK I guess it could have just got worse anyway as I'm no spring chicken (50) but I definitely think I'm now going to have to go varifocals or for two pairs of glasses.

Cheers

HEADRAT
I had varifocals for many years and that was fine. Until cataracts got me. Then that sorted me right out. Sometimes I need reading glasses for small print but, other than that vision, is excellent.
I hope you get a similar transformation.

Soldato
An eye health charity is recommending people learn the "20-20-20" rule to protect their sight, as lockdown has increased people's time using screens.

Fight for Sight advises looking at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds, every 20 minutes you look at a screen.

Out of 2,000 people, half used screens more since Covid struck and a third (38%) of those believed their eyesight had worsened, a survey suggested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55620100

Try to focus on things in the distance every now and then as being inside and looking at screens more means we tend to be always looking at stuff fairly close. I also find that dry air in a house with the heating on makes my eyes tired but if you think your eyes are getting worse then speak to an optician.

Soldato
My eyes are nackered -Had eye Doc appointment yesterday and there is no curing my right eye with Wet Macular degeneration - I also thought my left eye was going same way but it turns out to be just general wear and tear.
If you have vertical blinds in your house or something similar close one eye and look at blind -if the vertical edge is wavy go to optician - check both eyes.
Another way is in a low light room and look at ceiling if it's white - if you can see anything like shadow etc go to opticians.

I have two monitors and I have found its easier to look at them when push chair back a bit - I went to opticians and asked them for a pair of glasses that were for a distance of 1.2m - I took a tape measure with me.
This helps a great deal. Sitting close is a eye killer.
To everyone - Look after your eyes - you never think it will happen to you - I would sooner have lost a leg.

Soldato
To everyone - Look after your eyes
Sorry to hear about the right eye. I've had an almost useless left all my life, and so I've had a lifelong paranoia about anything happening to the other one. Hope things deteriorate as slowly as possible for you.

As for the OP, I swear I was fine until I hit 50 and then someone flicked a switch and I've been sliding up the reading glasses scale ever since. I am typing this with +1.25's on, but I try to work at arm's length to relax my eyes as much as possible. If I pull the laptop closer and more comfortably, the 1.50's are required. And for staring at phones at 'reading a book' distance, I would probably be better off with a microscope.

Getting old... narrowly beats the alternative (at least until we start considering haemorrhoids; then the jury's out).

Soldato
My eyes are nackered -
If you have vertical blinds in your house or something similar close one eye and look at blind -if the vertical edge is wavy go to optician - check both eyes.
Another way is in a low light room and look at ceiling if it's white - if you can see anything like shadow etc go to opticians.

No thanks id rather have a professional diagnosis rather than someone on a forum try and scaremonger.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi All,

Cheers

HEADRAT
Yes but mine has been deteriorating for a while. Early 50's. I've been short sighted for a while but now I am getting older I am struggling to read things up close. It's natural as we get older. I really need good light to read now.

Soldato
OP
Yes but mine has been deteriorating for a while. Early 50's. I've been short sighted for a while but now I am getting older I am struggling to read things up close. It's natural as we get older. I really need good light to read now.

I accept it could be coincidence, need to get booked in to have my eyes tested again.

Soldato
No thanks id rather have a professional diagnosis rather than someone on a forum try and scaremonger.

You missunderstand - Those I suggested are things you can do even if your eyes are good - But if by any chance you see the blind or side of a picture on the wall showing a slight wave then you can go straight out and get pros in - Under normal circumstances you won't notice anything and then it becomes too late.
If scaremongering gets one person to go to the opticians then that's good - The opticians get you booked in to the eye hospital.

The optician gave me a squared graph chart to put on back of a cupboard door and I didn't bother to look at it - when I did it was too late and under normal living you can't see the change. Believe me.

Ps I have/had eye tests every year for years as my hobby was shooting and I was right master eye. One hobby gone in blink of an eye.:rolleyes:

Soldato
You missunderstand - Those I suggested are things you can do even if your eyes are good - But if by any chance you see the blind or side of a picture on the wall showing a slight wave then you can go straight out and get pros in - Under normal circumstances you won't notice anything and then it becomes too late.
If scaremongering gets one person to go to the opticians then that's good - The opticians get you booked in to the eye hospital.

The optician gave me a squared graph chart to put on back of a cupboard door and I didn't bother to look at it - when I did it was too late and under normal living you can't see the change. Believe me.

Ps I have/had eye tests every year for years as my hobby was shooting and I was right master eye. One hobby gone in blink of an eye.:rolleyes:

thats awful, sorry to read that. Do you see a black curtain in the affected eye?

Back
Top Bottom