1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

Global Warming - The New Fear?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by mauron, 10 Apr 2007.

1. mauron

Gangster

Since man developed a bit of a brain the clever ones have dominated the rest of us by fear. Look back at history and you go through religion, the French, Germans, and the cold war to name but a few. As there's no big issues between any of the major powers, have the government concocted global warming as the latest scare to keep us in our place and control what we do? You can't do this or that because you will make the ice caps melt, and to prove it they fly off to Greenland to measure the ice! Scientist will back them as they will get loverly grants to prove them right. I know the wold's warming up, but it's gone through lots of changes, couldn't this just be another one? Or am I just cynical of the ruling classes.

2. LazyManc

Wise Guy

3. cosmogenesis

Mobster

Since when are Scientists the ruling classes ?

4. mauron

Gangster

Didn't say scientist are the ruling class just that they back up the ruling class for the grant money

5. cosmogenesis

Mobster

And that means what exactly? The IPCC for instance has now produced three reports on the alleged threat of climate change and it causes but sadly little if not action has been taken by the worlds ruling bodies as yet. CO2 emissions continue to increase for whatever reason. So what exactly is your criteria about you being skeptical about the professional classes shall we call them because they do not govern nations agendas?

6. jas72

Capodecina

we have already seen increase on air duty directly linked by politicians they are talking about natioanal road tolls as well.

The whitehall bods are jumping on all this as a way to make us believe the forecasts as gospel so that we approve tax hikes.

I had to laugh the other day when the guy doing the weather said he could even predict the weekends weather.

So much for 40 years time.

7. Visage

PermaBanned

meteorology != climatology.

8. magick

Mobster

I do partly agree. Fear is a great tool to control the masses and it is used to great effect by the state. If I was to put my conspiracy hat on I'd say global warming is just one part of an overall diet of fear that is pumped into the population.

Watch the news and if it's not global warming it's AIDS, terroism, financial insecurity, nuclear proliferation, asylum, immigration, crime, poverty or political insecuirty. It's the same story, the same script, being told over and over again day-in and day-out. The only thing really changes is the cast. The bad man changes his name from communism to islam, or Gadaffi to Admumakmudinnajab (or whatever his name is).

Now all of the above threats are very real and viable but when collectively pumped into our awareness day-in and day-out it has a very subtle effect on our overall being. It lowers our state of being, it stops the higher aspects of our consciousness coming into play and keeps us in a state of reliance on the 'good guy' namely the government.

If you don't believe me then try not watching the TV, News, reading newspapers, soap operas or movies or any other form of mental junk-food for a few months and see how you awareness changes.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2007
  9. a1ex2001

Capodecina

I think the big problem is it's being overplayed by the government and media, it seems we can't have a news story now unless it includeds and environment twist, take the recent bank holiday traffic problems for example. Also we can't have any new legislation unless it includes and environment section, look at the new home information packs and it's pointless energy efficency house rating.

The powers that be need to be carefull that they don't just bombard people with information and new taxes / regulations based on climate change or the fact that our climate is actually changing for what ever reason will be forgotten about in a backlash from tax payers / consumers.

10. cosmogenesis

Mobster

Jas72, surely you must have heard that weather and climate are not thesame thing, not by a long shot. I thought everyone knew that by now and yet people like yourself still peddle the same old ignorant nonsense regarding this.

11. singularity

Perma Banned

sorry I dont buy the whole carbon emmissions thing, nothing wrong with co2

12. Visage

PermaBanned

To put your remarks in context, perhaps you'd like to tell us what level of qualifications do you have in the field of climatology?

13. teaboy5

Soldato

We should be worrying about peak oil more to be honest. Because when no one can afford to fuel their homes or cars, global warming will be the least of our problems.

14. mauron

Gangster

How come the earth warmed up after the last great ice age? Not many cars around then

15. clv101

Capodecina

Haven't we been over this several times in recent threads?

See explanation here: How the paleoclimate differs from modern climate

16. jas72

Capodecina

I can peddle whatever I want.

I have read what I need to read and they are all still theories, probability etc.

Personally there is nothing I can do to change what is happening with the climate and if the UK government thinks stunting its economic growth with a heavy tax burden will make .0000001% of difference it is deluded.

The government are putting fear via the BBC into the minds of the people so they accept taxes. This isn't make believe there is rarely a night on the TV when "experts" fear that we will have tidal waves, the ice caps are melting so rapidly that we will all drown etc.

The list of "worst case scenarios is endless". As a member of the public I want fact not theory.

17. cosmogenesis

Mobster

Jas72, Unfortunately you cannot peddle your views unless they have merit and your assumption about weather and climate does not hold scientific water I am afraid.

When Scientits says "theory" he means a model that explains all of the available evidence and maybe makes some additional testable predictions. It does not mean some vague hand waving gesture towards telling you something that may one day end up true.

I suggest that whatever you have read is not science otherwise you would understand these matters better. Me thinks it maybe influencing your political views badly.

Climate change must be tackled strategically at the national, international and global levels. Who knows what methods will tackle it. Governments want quick wins and to get the greens off of their back hence the short sighted taxes. Politicians are opportunists that see a means of making some money. Personally I doubt global warming can be stopped before we get the 2 degree warming that will take it all out of our possible control.

The world wants to consume more and that means fossil fuels for now.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2007
  18. atpbx

Capodecina

Mutually assured destruction.
    The IRA.
    Terrorism.
    Global warming.

And countless more over the years, as they realise no one is taking any notice any more they trot something else out.
    We couldnt have sex with anyone 20 years ago because everybody had AIDS and we were all going to die.
    30 years ago we were going to be living in a global ice age by 1999.

19. cosmogenesis

Mobster

Atbpx, this Ice Age story comes up time and time again to somehow dispel global warming as being true but I am afraid it is again a story that has little merit reported and distorted by the media of the day.

Here is an example of modern day press stupidity, trees were shown to give off methane in 2005 I believe and when the press were invited to come along and hear the explanations for this and the consequences for climate they all duly listened and explanations were given. The next dat in the papers the headlines read, climate changes caused by trees !!

You see the media pamper to the most stupid in society, not the brightest. Science panders to the brightest but the brightest only make up some 10% of the population. It is a matter of economics and telling people what they want to hear. end of.

20. Nixeh

Hitman

try 1% :p