1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Warming - The New Fear?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by mauron, 10 Apr 2007.

1. cosmogenesis

Mobster

La nina is an important climate phenomenon and I am sure that the IPCC and others have considered it. You make it sound like it is new and has caught climate scientists unawares which it has not.

As for the Suns output, the climate scientists must have missed all those correlations you have mentioned. In fact look at the any w/m2 chart and tge Sun is there, it is just that CO2 is 10x (1.6 w/m2) the effect the Sun is at the present time.

So say on and on and on all you like guys but no evidence coming to lite in 2007 was whomever undermines the IPCCs data and reports.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/07/the-lure-of-solar-forcing/

many time have real climate commented on the Suns output and sunspots. No clear link exists.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2007
  2. v0n

Sgarrista

3. cosmogenesis

Mobster

err no not indoctrinated, I read many articles from many climate sayers but real climate are not vested interest types are acknowledge scientific shortcomings, however they do have excellent climate knowledge as they are climate scientists and do work and have access to a lot of climate science and data that a lot of the blaggers do not. Ignore them and that makes you a little foolish in my mind.

GISS is climate science in many ways.

4. willhub

Capodecina

It's july now, why's it raining all the time? Is this due to Global Warming? Is there kink or something in the gulf stream? Someone was saying, this years Winter could be this years summer, so what's that mean? Its going to be hot in december?

I know it soudns stupid but it is unusual to have this much rain and floods in the UK, especially in june and july.

5. cosmogenesis

Mobster

As climate change models attamept to show us. In the UK weather episodes can be more intense, more frequent and of greater duration. 100 year weather events may come every 5 years depending on how much additional temperature rises we allow to happen.

6. RDM

Capodecina

Unusual, but not unheard of. Building homes on flood plains also doesn't help...

7. cosmogenesis

Mobster

or chopping down all of the trees to graze sheep either. Land use is a big part of GW issues to.

8. marin

Hitman

Also down to farmers improving drainage on high moor lands in this country, which caused the major floods on the North York Moors in 2005 when there was heavy rainfall.

At the time people were going on about how it was down to AGW until it was pointed out that all the new drainage systems drained the high moors very rapidly and caused the flooding in the valleys.

Like you say down to land use for grazing sheep, but nothing to do with AGW in this case.

9. cosmogenesis

Mobster

Like I say, AGW means more frequent weather events, couple it with land use and hey presto some frequent flooding.

10. mauron

Gangster

In 1952/53 winter, half of East Anglia was under water, in Southwold harbour it was up to the 1st floor windows. Was this global warming or just bad weather, the same as this summer.

11. cosmogenesis

Mobster

Like the climate scientists and even AL Gore statesm no single weather event can be attributed to climate change but the trends in weather are there. Expect more 100 years weather events more frequently whether flood or drought. Intenisty, duration and frequency are all likely to increase.

12. RaohNS

Sgarrista

Well thats pretty much it.. global warming isn't so much about cool summers but more about warm(er) winters.

The way i always see it is that you can't win with Global Warming... if you get massive heat waves (like last summer) its "Global Warming" when you get all these floods "its global warming" if we get heavy snow this winter "global warming"... there's no winning imo.

They way i think climate change should be tackled is to issue all homes with energy saving bulbs and offer or give small fines (dependant on income) to people who refuse to use them.

Create a greater investment on windfarms, higher tax on short airline flights (~750miles). For cars make more environmentally friendly fuels through very small Green Taxes and these green taxes will be calculated on the car you use so if you have a 1.0-1.4ltr engine you pay the least £25per year but if you drive these monster trucks and SUV's £1000.00

13. willhub

Capodecina

I see there is going to be one of the worlds largest wind farms built off of the english coast.

If we had heavy snow this winter I would think thats normal, since my dad told me how when he was younger they had heavy snow then, so hardly global warming.

I think the Green Taxes would be a very good thing.

14. RDM

Capodecina

Alternatively if the government was actually serious about climate change rather than using it as a method to tax us more then they could just ban the sale of incandescant light bulbs.

Why not just increase the duty on petrol? The easiest and most effecient way to tax how much a vehicle pollutes. That way someone that drives 20,000 mile in your "eco friendly" 1ltr actually pays for their pollution costs against someone that drives 3000 miles in an SUV.

15. dirtydog

PermaBanned

You do realise that the UK is not the whole world right? And that what WE do in the UK is a drop in the ocean? Yet you still want punitive taxation on cars.

This was posted in GD recently which I found interesting:-

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9663817&postcount=23

16. willhub

Capodecina

Something must be done to stop China building 600 coal fired power stations. :eek:

17. dirtydog

PermaBanned

So do people actually see the UTTER POINTLESSNESS of the UK making painful and expensive changes to our lifestyles when China and other countries are doing what they are doing.

18. cosmogenesis

Mobster

The west already has the technology is make chinas coal fired power stations a lot of more efficient than they are but they are not offering the technology to them or helping them get the most from the coal they are burning.

19. clv101

Capodecina

No - just because something isn't the whole solution doesn't prevent it being good. Anyway, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels is not "painful and expensive" it's valuable and necessary. Unless you haven't noticed within a decade or so the UK won't be producing very much oil, gas or coal. We'll have to turn to the world market - just as everyone else does the same, global exports are falling and fight for the insufficient resources available, at least doubling our trade deficit in the process. Forget climate change if you want - we have to reduce our fossil fuel consumption for reasons of economic competitiveness.

20. cosmogenesis

Mobster

And that dependence Clv101 is going to be everyones undoing unless something comes along damm quick and/or large scale efficiency programs are undertaken.

I await the bloodshed and war with bated breath.