Gloomhaven or World of Warcraft: the board game???

Soldato
**PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS ABOUT GLOOMHAVEN**

BIG BIG decision to make soon. I have managed to source a once played, slight damaged box from moving house WoW the board game for £45. All components accounted for and in mint condition. Also, my LFGS has one single copy of the latest reprint of Gloomhaven in stock for £120.

Now I have to weigh up the pros and cons for each game and this is tearing me apart.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: The board game
Cost over the first year @ 3 plays £15 per play
Pros:
  • Cheap, VERY cheap going by current ebay prices.
  • All bits there and mint condition (apart from the box) I can view before purchase anyway to decide.
  • High resale value
  • Big fan of WoW
  • Wanted the game since I knew about it a few years after it went OOP.
  • Will enjoy it as I like epic long games.

Cons:
  • Apart from my wife, who is a interested in it but not as much as me, I may only have one other person to play it with but work patterns always pass each other. Rarely get same days off.
  • Prefer to have painted figures but will take ages to get them all painted.
  • Long playing time which is a slight negative for my wife (if she gets into it she may not mind long play time) but she does like Terraforming Mars and our games go on for a good 2-3 hours. We like engine building in that game.
  • Probably a 2-3 times a year game if a group can't be gathered frequently.
  • Expansions very hard to get. A premium price on those and I have read and heard they add a great deal not just physically but game play wise. Making the original game much better.
  • If I get this I can't get Gloomhaven any time soon and there is a chance GH will sell within the next few weeks.
  • Table space.

GLOOMHAVEN
Cost over the first year @ 52 plays £2.30 per play
pros:
  • £120 is cheapest I have ever seen it in retail.
  • Story driven and has longevity.
  • According to what I have read (no spoilers please) has over 100 scenarios which could take 2 years to play at 1 game a week.
  • Things to open over the course of the campaign.
  • Players can join or drop out with out effecting the game at any given time.
Cons:
  • Expensive.
  • Long play times - see Cons on WoWtbg.
  • I know it's not Legacy game as such but replayability is low once you finish it. I know you have choices to make during the game so I can imagine if you were to play it again you can just choose the other option next time.
  • Table space.

So as you can see I am stuck as to what I want to do. What would you do and why?

Associate
I can only talk for Gloomhaven, but it'd work for your mixed amount of people playing at diffeent times. People can drop in and out as you play (solo if you like) with their own characters.

It's genuinely a work of art in mechanics as well as style. I don't play it as much as I'd like, and the set-up time can be massivle reduced if you invest in a few hobby trays, CD / card holders.

Soldato
Easy shout for Gloomhaven. WOW I'm told is OK, but to really make it work you need the Burning Crusade expansion that is now very hard to find.

Also you can play a Gloomhaven scenario in an hour if you're short on time. WOW is a multi-hour commitment.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for not getting back sooner.

If you don't get Gloomhaven can you Trust me details of where to get it from? :D

I actually went to the LFGS to buy it the day I posted this thread. Sorry :)

Easy shout for Gloomhaven. WOW I'm told is OK, but to really make it work you need the Burning Crusade expansion that is now very hard to find.

Also you can play a Gloomhaven scenario in an hour if you're short on time. WOW is a multi-hour commitment.

I will still be getting WoW. The person who I will buy it off thinks his friend, who they played the game with years ago, may still have his BC expansion. Apparently there were 4 of them who played it that time and they all purchased addons/expansions. Not sure if all 4 did but they did have all of them at some point. Fingers crossed BC can be bought too.

Soldato
What's this cost per play? Can you only play it 3 times? Like Pandemic where you tear stuff up?

Gloomhaven? It has dozens of scenarios, you can go back and complete ones not in the campaign you had later on, you can get removable stickers for the map and there are no destructible components. It's ridiculously good value for 10 kilos of solid game.

Soldato
OP
I'm just super confused by why the OP has a Cost Per Play line for each game. Why can you only play WoW 3 times but Gloomhaven 52 times.

I was just summing up how much it would cost me over the first year to justify spending money. I don't have a great deal surplus each pay day. It's just something I do do before spending a large amount of money. It's more for my benefit really and put in my post when I was working out pros/cons etc. Nothing really to look to deep into for you guys. :)

Any how. Gloomhaven, only played the first scenario so far and loving it. Took three tries obviously there were many rules played wrong and what not but I think try three I got the rules right.

Edit: The WoW cost per play is based on playing it a max of three times in the first year, players dependant. Could play it more than 3 but 3 seems a realistic number currently with work load and the wifes college/work.

Soldato
OP
So far I have played the first scenario 3 times and finally completing it. Thoughts so far, pretty good. It's one of those games where you want to break out another scenario right after finishing one. A bit like your favourite TV show, binge watching or in the case of Gloomhaven, binge playing.

Soldato
So far I have played the first scenario 3 times and finally completing it. Thoughts so far, pretty good. It's one of those games where you want to break out another scenario right after finishing one. A bit like your favourite TV show, binge watching or in the case of Gloomhaven, binge playing.

I want it so much but £180 (or thereabouts) is daft money.

Associate
We have all the WoW expansions, good game but takes forever to play. The expansions are okay - but add even more play time.

Pre ordered Gloomhaven for the 4th? printing in November.

Back
Top Bottom