1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM- Same thread new OP

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by ExoMale, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ExoMale

Mobster

okay so its established the Game Max is not a good unit, so now im back to cheap options for a unit to power my athlon build onces i manage to to get ryzen working.

i have seen what looks like a brand new Akasa Venom Power 850w gold unit on FB for £25, im waiting to hear back if its still going, a quick read up on techpowerup suggests its not the best gold rated unit, but still a pretty good one, would it actually be worth a punt??

next when i look on the zon i see the evga 500w 80 plus(white labels) for £30-45ish, i know evga are usually good and these units are considered the low end, but would one be reliable enough for my system??

i need a decent psu to power my athlon build(2 drives not 3) with the 660 once i put it in my aerocool cs-102 case ready to sell and with such i dont want to pay over the odds for my likely returns.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. ChugNorris

OcUK Staff

It's garbage. Knowing where they come from, I wouldn't risk it.

3. Acme

Caporegime

No.

Also its called a 500W but it provides the same wattage as a decent 400W according to its specs. I'd maybe use it in a system that pulls 200W or less so its never stressed, like a web browsing PC, but I wouldn't want to strain one.

4. Monkeynut

Soldato

Fake 80 Plus certification and made by an unknown manufacturer.

5. ExoMale

Mobster

ha okay then thanks for replies.

it was just included in the price, so could make a few quid off it, as it stands my athlon system at a rough guess pulls under 300w, but above 260w which is why i thought it be okay, i know my cx450 pulls just under its 450 rating and this game max pulls 408w, but i figured it be decent. good job i havent swapped anything over and that GM just in the case alone then ha.

i did think of fitting it in my AM1 build as my corsair is just wasted on that system, but i dont want get rid of the corsair.