Go Kart / ATV / Stuff built in your garage Thread

Soldato
Hello there people of motors.

It would appear that I do not do well locked in a house with my garage around me. I've started fitting NOS to the Citroen C1, about to remap the Evoque and bought a go kart frame and new engine off eBay.

I haven't seen a thread on go karts, but here it is now. I've never built one, so you know. I have binge watched a **** ton of youtube lately, so naturally I'm a pro.

This is the beast...

apfZrwR.jpg

100quid for the frame. Bit ratty, but this is literally meant to **** around our area (we are out at the edge of an industrial area, and have a large drive and they just put fresh tarmac outside our house :D) so not for any actual racing.

Bought a 100quid engine from eBay too. 200cc 7.5hp beauty.

When it all arrives I'll need to look at the engine mounting, rear axle/ bearings and clutch and see what happens. Oh, and wheels. They might help.

Will be doing a build series on it with the kids. Should be fun to play about with! I know I'll want more than one though... I fancy a full sus one as well :D haha my wife is literally going to lose her mind.

Anyone built one? Show us your karts!!

Soldato
OP
Funny you should post something like this as Colin Furze put this video up yesterday, which should be right up your street:
Mate I watched that as well! Haha The kids sent it to me and were like... next project?

Frame arrives tomorrow apparently. I had ordered a 200cc engine but current climate etc they're saying it's out of stock, even though I bought it and said it was in stock. I've asked if they have anything in stock. I want to see if I can find a good deal on a set of wheels and tyres and I'll pick up some rear hubs and then order an axle/ bearings and carriers when the frame arrives. Then at least it rolls!

Total list of parts thus far needed:

• engine (I think 200cc 7.5hp should do for now)
  • clutch or torque converter
  • rear axle
  • rear hubs
  • rear bearings/ carriers
  • sprocket
  • seat
I think that's about all on the list at the moment! Most things aren't too much. I think the wheels and tyres are the most on that lot! Second hand they're about 150 which is a bit steep but hey!

Would be great to see if I can get a few things, so we can all have a blast around. I've just about got this passed by the mrs, so we'll see if I can get her in on the idea so I can have a fleet!

Soldato
OP
Me and the kids had a bit of a take apart today. Washed the frame and took all the pieces off it we could. Decided what we needed and got cracking with cleaning some surface rust off it. Primed up the metal, keyed down the rest. Ordered a bunch of things and now playing the "what will arrive first in lockdown" game.
4ahDctB.jpg
These will arrive on Wednesday according to DPD.

Engine ordered...well actually I ordered 2, but the first said it would be 40 days and **** that so I've now got a lovely 270cc 9hp one coming. It's apparently been shipping.

Will keep you posted with pics when it all comes!

Soldato
OP
Cool. Have a couple of Gillards in the garage. Let me know if you need help putting it together. Well versed in them now

That's amazing to hear! Not sure it'll have the same engine as a standard one haha I've got a LIFAN rebrand engine on order, so will see how that goes. Comes with a wet clutch/ 22m shaft. I've been trying to work out the best ratios on that, and people are saying a 3:1 with wet clutch vs. a 4.5:1 normally...? I got the wet clutch as it was not much more expensive and saved me getting another thing delivered tbh but ordered a 15 tooth on the engine side and 65 for the rear. Trying to get a clear idea is all a bit hard really.

Much appreciate any advice though. Do yours have front brakes and rears? Mine only has rears and I feel like I'm missing out :D

Associate
That's amazing to hear! Not sure it'll have the same engine as a standard one haha I've got a LIFAN rebrand engine on order, so will see how that goes. Comes with a wet clutch/ 22m shaft. I've been trying to work out the best ratios on that, and people are saying a 3:1 with wet clutch vs. a 4.5:1 normally...? I got the wet clutch as it was not much more expensive and saved me getting another thing delivered tbh but ordered a 15 tooth on the engine side and 65 for the rear. Trying to get a clear idea is all a bit hard really.

Much appreciate any advice though. Do yours have front brakes and rears? Mine only has rears and I feel like I'm missing out :D

Have a play with this: https://www.bmikarts.com/Go-Kart-Gear-Ratio-Speed-Calculator.
Not sure on low powered 4 strokes as we run 2 stoke rotax's. Given where you want to use it I'd focus on acceleration. Rear sprockets are cheap anyway so if its really struggling try going bigger again.
Just a rear brake as per the rules. Front brakes would be better but everyone's in the same boat! I don't struggle to slow down though and that's from a higher speed kart.

Soldato
OP
Yea, i'd had a play with that but with a wet clutch in there I read you needed a smaller ratio between them. Not sure, but like you said, cheap and easy to change. I might chuck in an order for a 28 on the back as it'll no doubt take 2 weeks to arrive anyway.

Won this on eBay last night...

s-l1600.jpg

If nothing else, it's going to look pimp in my black/matt black/ gold and carbon colour theme! :D Funnily enough not many people are on the look out for an XL kart seat at the moment so some good bargains.

Soldato
OP
My god parcel2go are doing my head in. 2 failed collections with DPD on the wheels, so have now tried to rebook using UPS and see if they actually collect. The engine arrived as did the brake rotor, rotor carrier and rear axle. Need a load more to arrive before I can start to put things together though, but I do think I'll need to rethink this wet clutch system as it's just too deep. The engine will sit far too far out, so looking at a simple clutch system for it.

Soldato
OP
Things are starting to come back together a bit now but still trying to get the right / compatible parts all together!

Looking sweet though...
BQR3X6Q.jpg

Still getting things ordered so we can really start to put it back together but it's going...

Latest episode is a bit behind live, which is what is looks like above now!

Soldato
I'm guessing the OP is using the obligatory Honda GX (or compatible) series of engine. I'd just like to add that when he's felling the need for more power, the GX390 is an excellent choice. Iirc it's almost a 50% hike in hp and torque over the GX270, but it might need some fettling to fit.
Nice to see people tinkering away at this time.

Soldato
OP
Yes! The LIFAN 190 is the 390 equiv. and it's a nice jump indeed! I spoke to the manufacturer of these engines and might be working something out, so hoping I can get a 390 sent through to me :p some wicked stage 3 parts for it as well! Seen one running about 40hp at 10k RPM!

Still waiting on engine mount and chain at the moment. Annoyingly.

Back
Top Bottom