Go on then... post your midweek veggie dinner recipes?

Soldato
As much as the girlfriend and I are very stoic believers of "everything in moderation" and we generally don't partake in bandwagons regarding veganism, dry January and any form of "dieting" etc. (diet is what you eat, not something you do!)... we would like to cut down on the amount of meat we eat.

We're good home cooks, generally cook from scratch every evening etc. and have a decent repertoire of fast, easy midweek dinners. What we're struggling with is recipe ideas that are meat-free. If they're quick, they seem to revolve around pasta, or curries. Neither of which we want too much of. Even Jamie's new "veg" book has a ton of recipes that take hours due to roasting veg etc. Is this the biggest downfall of a veggie diet?

So, good chaps of OcUK. What are your go-to quick recipes that are meat-free and ideal for midweek? Links please! :)

Soldato
My girlfriend is vegan and I'm "doing" veganuary (though a couple of cheat days have been booked!)

We frequently make stuff from Meera Sodha for dinner. Lots of recipes on The Guardian website. Most of it is pretty quick to make and you can get most of the ingredients from Lidl/Tesco. Some vegan/vegetarian recipes have all sorts of weird and wonderful ingredients. Very rarely do we feel we need to prep something hours before. Almost everything has been fantastic.

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/meera-sodha

I don't like tofu, my girlfriend does. I just go without or replace with whatever beans I have in the cupboards but the above doesn't use it too much. That was my biggest worry about this episode.

Soldato
Ottolenghi has some really great recipes for veg. Just his ways of cooking veg are worth learning.

Courgette and aubergine are staples for us, once you've nailed cooking them right to get the sweetness out. Aubergine - diced into large chunks with plenty of salt and a very hot oven to char the edges and caramelize the sugars, comes out all smoky and sweet, perfect to throw in with pasta and a few roasted cherry tomatoes. Ditto aubergine, slice ~8mm thick, salt and pepper, char on a hot frying pan on both sides until soft.

Roasted sweet potato = win. Baked potatoes obviously are a great easy meal.

Vegetable chilli is easy, replace the meat with finely chopped carrot and onions, and a few tins of different kinds of bean.

Caporegime
Too many to list.

A quick grilled vegetable tomato sauce for pasta. Roasting vegetables doesn;t take hours, 15 minutes under grill and prep takes minutes.

3 bean chili
bean burgers
eggplant parmigiana
Cauliflower buffalo wings
Any vegetarian curry
Stir-fry with Aubergine steaks
Lentil curry (can cook lentils night before)
Dry-fried Aubergine with Sechuan spices.

Soldato
I generally just swap meat for a load of veg and fry or steam it up, serve as you would the meat with rice, pasta, or whatever. Use lots of mushrooms. Get creative with eggs, if you're just veggie, or grass if you're full-on vegan.

Associate
This is similar to what I do when I'm feeling lazy: https://healthynibblesandbits.com/easiest-egg-fried-rice/

Frozen stir fry veg and frozen sliced peppers save time (if I'm really pushed for time i will microwave them from frozen before chucking them in the wok) and you can chuck in pretty much anything else you fancy. Obviously leave out the eggs if you are looking for a vegan recipe. The sesame oil, in my opinion is essential, just be careful it can be overpowering if you use too much, so start with a little and add to taste. it really is surprisingly good for being so quick and easy, while not using a load of herbs or spices.

Soldato
Felafels in pitta: drain and rinse a tin of chick peas, let them drain well and pat dry in kitchen roll. Dump them in the food processor when dry. Chop lots of coriander and parsley and dump that in. Add a shallot or half an onion (don't add too much onion or they'll be too wet, especially the big juicy white onions - hence shallots are best). Add finely chopped garlic. Add a small egg. For spices and seasoning I use salt, black pepper, turmeric, ground cumin, and ground coriander. I use a heaped teaspoon of each except turmeric (dead strong, particularly if not old) which I use half a teaspoon. Don't put these in yet. You can use more, but only if you need it AFTER TASTING. So, blitzz a bit so they are no longer layers and have started mixing up then add half the spices and blitz some more. Get a spoon in and get the stuff from the edges away from the blade that doesn't get blitzed and stir it up. Add the rest of the spices and blitz until finely ground but not a puree. A few visible bits of chickpea doesn't hurt. Get a frying pan on for the tasting. Take a little bit out and fry it in sunflower oil. Adjust seasoning and check moisture. It should press into balls and not stick to your hands. If it is too wet, add semolina or gram flour, pulse it in, then put in the fridge. Make some yoghurt, mint, and cucumber raita. Roll your pitta dough or get the pre-made pittas ready. Get the frying pan heating with enough oil for a shallow fry. Make spheres and press into patties. Don't crowd the pan, do batches and leave on a tray in a medium oven while you d the rest. Heat/cook your pittas. Serve with hummus and salad. 35-40 mins.

Frittata: slice some potatoes into 5-6mm slices. Leave the skin on and put the slices in a pan with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil then turn the heat right down. We want them to cook but not start falling apart. Let them steam dry in a colander or empty pan. Meantime, slice onions, garlic, sweet peppers, chilli (if you like it) and soften gently in a bit of olive oil. Make a scrambled egg/omelette mix (two eggs per person plus an extra one, milk, s&p, whisk). When the onions and peppers are soft, turn up the heat to medium high and pour just enough egg in to cover the onions and peppers. As this starts to cook, lay the potato slices down in a layer on top of the onions etc. Break potatoes so they fit well and are the same thickness and flat all the way across. Press down a bit. S&P on the potatoes (the spanish always put too much salt on for me), add plenty of chopped parsley, and pour the rest of the eggs in to cover the potatoes and parsley. Turn the grill on high. When you feel the bottom is cooked get the frittata under the grill until the top is all puffed up and browning in patches. You can use the oven instead of the grill, particularly if you don't want it soft in the middle, but I like it soft. If you are hungry, or greedy, serve with goats cheese crumbled on (less salt on the potatoes in this case). 30 mins max.

Soldato
Vegetable chilly done in a slow cooker. Use different kinds of tinned beans, not just kidney. Really cheap and very tasty. Use smoked paprika instead of regular.

Pedron chillies make a great snack or side dish. Tiny drop of oil and just fry them until they start to blister, then serve with a little sea salt.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. Some good ideas. We've done a great vegetable chilli in the past, must hunt out that recipe. I liked it as much as a meat chilli if I'm honest.

We did a sweet potato and red lentil curry the other night which was nice. Again, curries are very easy and I'm down with that. But we don't want to necessarily be eating spicy food every night!

Soldato
OP
Regarding lentils, we used some of these in a sweet potato and lentil curry and followed the packet instructions to simmer them for 15mins before adding to the curry. Figured they release starchiness or something that you wouldn't want in your sauce? Is that the case? However, once simmered they were complete mush, very disappointing. Do you guys simmer them first or are they ok to chuck straight into sauces/curries etc? My girlfriend's colleague seems to think so.

Secondly, on Ocado again.. any suggestions for extra-firm tofu? Or am I better off going to Chinatown?

Lastly, anyone tried tempeh? Sounds interesting...

Soldato
Red lentils break down and turn to mush. I'm guessing the instruction was so that whatever else was in the curry was not cooked for 15 mins and also turn to mush.

Red lentils are what you'd use for making dhals.

Soldato
I made Shakshuka yesterday, vege and very tasty.

IMG-20200112-174950.png

Rough ingredients for 4 portions, I eyeballed it so adjust as needed:

2 Bell peppers
4 Cloves Garlic
4 eggs
1 Large Yellow/White onion
250g Tomato (diced)
200ml Passata
10g fresh mint
10g fresh parsley
Coriander 1tsp
Smoked Paprika 1 tsp
Dried chilli flakes 1/2 tsp
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Sugar 2 tsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Olive oil 2 tbsp

Dice the onion, garlic and pepper, saute for 5 mins in the olive oil. Add salt, sugar, pepper, spices, and tomato, saute for another 5 mins then add the tomato passata. Make four wells for the eggs, crack them in then bake for 8-10 mins @ 190c. Top with the mint and parsley then serve.

Should take 20-25 mins all in.

Back
Top Bottom