Goalkeepers - broken finger recovery

Soldato
Hi all,

I managed to get myself a spiral fracture in my ring finger just below the first bend at the beginning of July - ironic as I was wearing Adidas Fingersaves, never mind !

I ended up having surgery and now have two screws holding it together.

Consultant said after 3 months - from surgery - I could look to start playing in goal again, but then followed this with 'it won't be as strong as before until 12 months'

Accepting that I quite like the idea of not pulling my glove off finding my finger is looking rather limp again, I'm wondering if anyone on here has done similar, and what your recovery was like.

Appreciate this may look like 'asked consultant but internetz knows best' and that each injury is different, but my head is saying jumping back in goal after 3 months straight back in a competitive game is borderline mental, but waiting 12 months seems excessive ....

Thoughts appreciated ... Happy to drag the X-ray pics on here if anyone wants a giggle

Dons - appreciate this screams medical thread, but I'm just curious what others would do regards returning to the game. I'd request people don't start telling me what to do regards recovery to avoid blurring the lines. I'm very much only listening to my doctors on that one !

Soldato
Do what Manuel Neuer did;
no hotlinking images

Tape three fingers together and get on with it!

In all seriousness, why not just wait until you feel your finger is strong enough (Using a stress ball to keep the muscles moving in your fingers?) and just practice handling the ball by throwing it against a wall.

See how it feels. As you say it depends entirely on how you feel as every injury is different.

Soldato
OP
So I should be clear.

I'm currently seeing a physio and doing all sorts of odd exercises to regain my range of movement and reduce swelling and scar tissue.

I think the question is answered. Wait it out. We are due our first child in December, so rebreaking the finger just before would be delightful.

Caporegime
Take finger to another finger for finger related... injuries?

I wouldn't have thought that trying to rush back in to goal would be a wise move, you could see how it went out field? just make sure your finger is well strapped. Unfortunately you don't play for a football club, let alone a club with the resources of Bayern so these things take 'us' mortals longer to recover from.

I'm still recovering from tearing ankle ligaments :(.

Associate
When i shattered the knuckle on my little finger in training it took me a good 6-8 months before i was playing again.

They pinned it and i had physio to make sure i didn't loose the nerves and feeling at the tip of my finger. Didn't really work as although i have feeling the tip is a little dead.

When i started playing again i strapped it to the one next to it till i felt confident to unstrap it.

I think only you will know at what stage you are and how it feels and when to start playing again. I would only say don't rush into it as you might end up damaging it again and then have to wait longer.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the further feedback guys. I think I'll look to slope on at the back for a while :)

It was a bit of a freak injury with it catching the end of my finger head on. I thought wearing decent gloves would help, and maybe the damage could have been worse without them.

Any recommendations on gloves?!

Soldato
Take finger to another finger for finger related... injuries?

I wouldn't have thought that trying to rush back in to goal would be a wise move, you could see how it went out field? just make sure your finger is well strapped. Unfortunately you don't play for a football club, let alone a club with the resources of Bayern so these things take 'us' mortals longer to recover from.

I'm still recovering from tearing ankle ligaments :(.

When I broke a finger, I just taped 2 fingers together. Always did the trick. Obviously it was painful when using it to save shots with any real force, but most of the time it was fine, if a little awkward.

I don't think it ever really affected my performance. Which is why I stayed crap. :p Though obviously with the pins in holding it together, it really needs to be left to fully recover, and see how it feels after the pins have been removed.

Thanks for the further feedback guys. I think I'll look to slope on at the back for a while :)

It was a bit of a freak injury with it catching the end of my finger head on. I thought wearing decent gloves would help, and maybe the damage could have been worse without them.

Any budget?

I used several pairs of: http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Prod...-Goalie-Gloves-Goalkeeping-Default-59630.aspx

I wouldn't use anything else now (If I still played, had to quit due to extremely dodgy knees. :()

Last edited:
Associate

I broke mine the same way. The ball came over from a corner and i went to catch it and misjudged the flight of it and it landed on the top of my fingers instead of the palm of my hand.

To be honest it was only when it started to go black that i realised i had broke it. I played on for 5 minutes thinking i had just pushed my finger back and it was a little sore and bruised.

At the time i was wearing Adidas finger save gloves also.

Associate

My mate, who is a Football League goalkeeping coach, swears by Kenny Arthur gloves. Think he does some fingersave styles.

Associate
Hi Conanius,

I have a carbon copy injury. Spiral fracture to finger, getting some screws put in tomorrow. Wondering how long it was until you were able to play in goal again?

Regards,
Tom

Soldato
OP
Hi Tom,

Sorry for late reply on this !

I never made it back in goal sadly. I moved jobs in June this year and the new home town doesn't seem to have a team in the office. I might try and start one in the summer.

My finger.... I got full range of movement back, but can't wear my wedding ring anymore. Bending it is ok, but I get pains in cold weather and if it's squeezed. Doctors said its 'man up' time or surgery that might result in loss of movement.

Hope your surgery went well !!

Back
Top Bottom