God of War 4

Soldato
It’s like the last of us with more combat. You have control but the game does like to take over quite a bit. The cut scenes are all done in game so it feels like the game takes over more as there is no obvious cut scene if that makes sense....

It’s good but I don’t think it’s as good as it’s been made out. For me it’s an 8/10 I would say that HZD is a better game. It’s nothing like the previous god of war games which I think is a shame in some ways.

Tbh I wish Kratos would stop saying “Boy” all the time too...... lol

I do wonder if another God of war in the style of the originals would have held up. For me it started getting stale so any change was needed imo. Ascension was one game too far in that style for me.

I don't think this can really be compared to HZD, that's more of a far cry game and that's probably why I couldn't get in to it. Whereas this as you say is aiming more for telling a story in the last of us style (to an extent).
I do think it's good that they have somehow made kratos an interesting character rather than the screaming mentalist he used to be :D

Associate
The combat is great imo, some of the most satisfying and flashy I've experienced in a game and plenty of variety. The only way it could seem dull/repetitive is if you were playing on the easiest difficulty and ignoring the skill tree and not using runes etc.
My only reservation is that the camera in combat can take some getting used to, Kratos generally attacks where the camera is facing and not the direction you are pushing the left stick, and the targeting system is not that reliable (you can easily lose a target lock).
After a little while though moving the camera and using the 180 spin became second nature and the rhythm of combat really clicked.

Camera aim assist is fine in some battles but its a death sentence for most of the GMGOW difficulty setting.
Worked that out the hard way :D

Soldato
Annoying me to hell - Come Boy, boy, anything with Boy spoken in it. Also a nitpick for me is find last end boss on side quests to difficult as in MUCH higher rating than you when you reach it after spending 20 mins getting to it. Also not to keen on the overall traveling between realms bit and the stupid boat system. Apart from that and learning that this GOW is more about defend and attack rather than straight out spam the buttons its possibly the best game on PS4

Soldato
Mines going on MM after about 6/8 hours play time, it's just boring me and I don't get enough gaming time these days to spend it being bored. Everytime I go to pick it up I have to try and remember the controls - it's not that their complicated but I always end up blocking instead of throwing the axe and vice versa, POV is killing it for me especially when the there's a red arrow pointing behind and some-one is going to attack - the spin round button just does not feel natural and I end up using the stick to turn. Game play repetitive AF, baddies all the same just reskinned if your lucky, I don't like the setting either the old world was more interesting. Moving blue crystals round in the dark shooting for light ledges for 2 hours topped it for me. It is a very nice looking hack and slash, but that's all I'm getting from it.

Soldato
Mines going on MM after about 6/8 hours play time, it's just boring me and I don't get enough gaming time these days to spend it being bored. Everytime I go to pick it up I have to try and remember the controls - it's not that their complicated but I always end up blocking instead of throwing the axe and vice versa, POV is killing it for me especially when the there's a red arrow pointing behind and some-one is going to attack - the spin round button just does not feel natural and I end up using the stick to turn. Game play repetitive AF, baddies all the same just reskinned if your lucky, I don't like the setting either the old world was more interesting. Moving blue crystals round in the dark shooting for light ledges for 2 hours topped it for me. It is a very nice looking hack and slash, but that's all I'm getting from it.

Sorry to hear, at least you gave it a shot to get an opinion on it. It's picking up for me now at about the 6-8 hour point but we all like different things etc. I'm finding the pace of the story really good but the combat was very basic until about hour 4-6.
I find the FOV a bit tight too!

Soldato

I’m just doing the light bridge bit and it is boring as hell. The FOV is awful but this seems the norm with these type of games now. Great looking but always feel like you are blinkered it’s one thing I do miss from PC gaming was an adjustable FOV...

Soldato
Good stuff it was far too small..
Really was. I was struggling with it last night especially as HDR makes it really bright. It's better but still not 100%

I saw an article earlier about using the immersive HUD over the standard. I'm trying it currently and it does make it feel more immersive as the name suggests. I have customised it now to still show prompts when I find a lore item or something so I can press the key to read it or else I'll just lose it in a menu somewhere.

Also added compass and health to show if I just brush the touch pad

Soldato
I'm finding hard to understand why this game got 95% on metacritic, it really isn't anything we haven't seen before nor groundbreaking. I'd give it a 7/10 at best fanboys probably would give it an 8, but 9.5.....seriously.
Can't really comment on that until I've finished it but far cry 5 received 9s and 10s and that is just another far cry game from what I can tell.

Soldato
Just been reading some reviews on this. I can't take 10 out of 10 etc too seriously but by the same token I'm also not interested in 0/10. Seems like SCE have upset a lot of GoW fans with this release though!

Drawbacks / criticisms so far as I have read are:
  • Dodgy POV angle and camera particularly against more than 1 enemy.
  • Dull, repetitive combat.
  • No ability to jump.
  • Smaller, easier bosses.
  • Dumbed down combat in general (quick time button bashing).
  • Poor FPS performance in 4k mode and not great in 1080p (ie looks awesome as long as you are standing still).
  • Approx half the game is cut scenes.
  • Game is basically a variation of UC4 / TLOU formula and not very original.
  • This is NOT a God of War game (read this sooo many times).

So what say OCUK? Any truth to the above? I'm interested to hear a balanced view before I drop £50 on this.

That's what makes me want to get a PS4 Pro, especially now that I have a 4K TV

Soldato
Im loving it so far, combat is brutal, enemies are varied.

Admittedly I have only played roughly 3hrs but its pretty awesome so far.

I also find all the lore and enemy codex information along the way interesting to read, I normally can't be bothered but I seem to read it more in this.

Also one of the first boss fights
Stranger
was epic

Soldato
Im loving it so far, combat is brutal, enemies are varied.

Admittedly I have only played roughly 3hrs but its pretty awesome so far.

I also find all the lore and enemy codex information along the way interesting to read, I normally can't be bothered but I seem to read it more in this.

Also one of the first boss fights
Stranger
was epic

Exactly the same as you , I keep reading about all the different enemies and stuff and I never normally do.

That first boss fight is something else that's when I thought wow , the effects in the snow are incredible too.

Only a few hours in too but loving it so far and I can see why it's getting the praise, it's a fair achievement technically in my eyes , it's all one shot no loading screens unless you die, it's also probably the 1st game in recent memory that's made improvements on the graphics when compared to the e3 demonstration.

Soldato
Just been reading some reviews on this. I can't take 10 out of 10 etc too seriously but by the same token I'm also not interested in 0/10. Seems like SCE have upset a lot of GoW fans with this release though!

Drawbacks / criticisms so far as I have read are:
  • Dodgy POV angle and camera particularly against more than 1 enemy. Never been an issue once you learn crowd control
  • Dull, repetitive combat. Nope try playing it
  • No ability to jump. True but its not uncharted or tomb raider, jumps are context related
  • Smaller, easier bosses. Play on harder levels, maybe not GOW2/3 size but impressive enough
  • Dumbed down combat in general (quick time button bashing). Again play on harder levels
  • Poor FPS performance in 4k mode and not great in 1080p (ie looks awesome as long as you are standing still). Not rarely noticed it on pro DF said it drops a frame or 2 at 30 thats all
  • Approx half the game is cut scenes. Not at all from my 10 hrs so far
  • Game is basically a variation of UC4 / TLOU formula and not very original. Its a 3rd person action RPG like many other games, not sure what else to say
  • This is NOT a God of War game (read this sooo many times). And its better for it IMO

So what say OCUK? Any truth to the above? I'm interested to hear a balanced view before I drop £50 on this.

Just a few of my thoughts so far.

Soldato
It’s deffinately missing the epic scale battles from the previous games. I just spent 2 hours carrying crystals around to light bridges it was so dull I almost quit. Out of that bit now so hoping it picks up a bit.

Kratos saying “Boy” all the time is really starting to annoy me now. He is such a miserable sod too.... lol

jpm

jpm

Associate
Finished this and going about the end game now :)

I found it enjoyable, good combat and a good story, playing it on performance mode and the frame rate is spotty, but it does say up to 60fps I say its in the low 50's to mid 40's half the time.

I wouldn't say its a 10 out of 10 games because some parts did bore me a little and Kratos saying "boy" got old fast lol but it is one of the better games I've played.

Soldato
The music is top notch, I love the game tbh even though I'm not too far into it , and even on the base ps4 it's the best looking console game I've ever played.

And throwing the axe and recalling it is one of the most satisfying things ever, especially when it finishes off someone as it comes back to you :D

Back
Top Bottom