God of War 4

Soldato
This is an excellent game, the change in style has really given GOW a new life IMO.

I've really enjoyed it so far, but I had no idea there would be so much RPG in the menu, its quite tricky to know what to use resources on. However side missions and quests really are loot bonuses. Earned most of my resources with side quests.

Im also enjoying the lore, the game is a mix of uncharted, TLOU and Bloodborne - ramp up the difficulty and its like a souls game lol

Man of Honour
Man...I'm fighting the urge to get the PS4 Pro with God of War bundle from Currys right now. £349 and I have a £50 voucher with them. I sold all my consoles last year when I got my gaming PC, but now I have my new TV and AV kit, I'm really enjoying stuff that makes the most of it. And this game looks like it would look stunning in 4K with HDR etc

Is it any more impressive than Horizon: Zero Dawn in terms of visuals or about on par?

Soldato
Man...I'm fighting the urge to get the PS4 Pro with God of War bundle from Currys right now. £349 and I have a £50 voucher with them. I sold all my consoles last year when I got my gaming PC, but now I have my new TV and AV kit, I'm really enjoying stuff that makes the most of it. And this game looks like it would look stunning in 4K with HDR etc

Is it any more impressive than Horizon: Zero Dawn in terms of visuals or about on par?

For graphics I would say on par, HZD has a different colour palette as well which makes it look vibrant, where as this is dull compared, details, I would say in areas GOW is better just. I do think people have overhyped the graphics a little, still looks stunning mind and one of the best to date.

Associate
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think God of War is hugely overrated! It's hardly cutting edge, and certainly doesn't reinvent the genre. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the Metacritic reviews that claim it's the best game ever made!

I think Mack says it best:

https://youtu.be/x7xYUpsam90?t=667

Soldato
I think anyone is entitled to compare and critic the game, its got some flaws, its a single player mostly linear gaming experience. The game does take over a lot but thats due to the cut-scenes being so well blended into the game, so you don't always know when its cutscene or gameplay. Graphically its pretty good, and certainly one of the better looking titles this gen, gameplay wise its got a few flaws, but the light and heavy attacks once worked out work really well.

The boss fights at the end do seem a little taken over by the game, but I still enjoyed the ones I've had so far. Overall its a stunning game to me, but everyone who plays it and feels like its overhyped, I think that happens with all big releases. TLOU has had its fair share of criticism.

Its just proving though, that Single Player gaming is not as dead as most say, I personally do not go for these battle royal or MMO , online FPS type of games, as I find little to no enjoyment out of them. But each to their own.

Soldato
That's the problem with reviews and high scores is they do give you a certain mindset going in to a game. If I hear something is very good I go in expecting to be blown away and more often than not, I'm not.

So with this I went in more open minded, skimmed some review scores but tried not to get it in my head that it's said to be one of the best. So far I'm really enjoying it. It takes longer than expected to start shining but not so long that I got bored or anything.

Really enjoying the characters and the story is making me want to play more and more to see what's going on.

I'll add my issues so far, minor though they are. I play for an hour or 2 at a time at most. When returning I often forget what moves I can do and what I have unlocked etc as changing runes etc on the fly really does change how you fight.

Not really sure what the benefit of it being displayed in a single cut really was. I've barely noticed it and it's probably more work than it was worth. All it does do is amplify when the game is loading etc in the back ground. An impressive technical feat but not needed imo, I don't think it's adding much.

And I guess the frame rate (resolution mode) does drop a fair bit though mostly in cutscenes.

All that aside it's a great game, PS4s best exclusive since bloodborne

Last edited:
Soldato
From someone who's about 20 hours in now, I'd just like to give my 2 cents on this list of negatives from earlier...

• Dodgy POV angle and camera particularly against more than 1 enemy.
    Seems fine. Keep moving and don't get surrounded if possible. Keep all the baddies in front of you.

• Dull, repetitive combat.
    LOL. No. You want dull repetitive combat, play Hellblade.
  • No ability to jump.
    So? It's not a platformer.

• Smaller, easier bosses.
    Ok. Personal opinion on whether this is good or bad.

• Dumbed down combat in general (quick time button bashing).
    I suspect if you try to button mash on the harder difficulties (I'm playing on 3 of 4) you will get your ass handed to you. Learn all Kratos' awesome skills and fight like a God :D

• Poor FPS performance in 4k mode and not great in 1080p (ie looks awesome as long as you are standing still).
    Seems perfectly fine in 1080p. Not noticed any problems that have taken away from my enjoyment.

• Approx half the game is cut scenes.
    Well, like I say, I'm only about 20 hours in, and I can say that if you added up all the cut-scenes so far, it would be on the 10 to 15 minute range. Can't speak for what happens towards the endgame.

• Game is basically a variation of UC4 / TLOU formula and not very original.
    So?

• This is NOT a God of War game (read this sooo many times).
    Yes it is. It's right there in the title and in the main character.

Anyway, this is just my take. And even after all that defending, I will sign off by saying I also don't think it's a 10/10 game.
8 to 8.5 probably.

Soldato

I think both HZD and even Far Cry 5 are more visually appealing than God of War on PS4 tbh. It’s a good looking game but by no means the best out there. Far Cry 5 at 4k on one X is stunning.

Soldato
I think both HZD and even Far Cry 5 are more visually appealing than God of War on PS4 tbh. It’s a good looking game but by no means the best out there. Far Cry 5 at 4k on one X is stunning.

I agree, some are really raving about the graphics, yeah it's great, lots of detail in close but look at the surroundings further out and it looks average to me.

Soldato
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think God of War is hugely overrated! It's hardly cutting edge, and certainly doesn't reinvent the genre. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the Metacritic reviews that claim it's the best game ever made!

I think Mack says it best:

https://youtu.be/x7xYUpsam90?t=667

%100 agree with this review. Nice honest review and not rammed up Sony arse like a lot of the others....

Soldato
I agree, some are really raving about the graphics, yeah it's great, lots of detail in close but look at the surroundings further out and it looks average to me.

HZD was certainly very good looking, I think GOW is a great looking game as well, some nice set pieces and locations, I guess its subjective.

Soldato
HZD was certainly very good looking, I think GOW is a great looking game as well, some nice set pieces and locations, I guess its subjective.

For sure, the detail and set pieces and close in combat is brilliant graphically, at times I look at the views further and things look a little rubbish graphically but I guess most games are like that.

What everyone choice on this favour resolution or performance, I have tried both, performance feels a lot more fluid to me.

Also has anyone adjusted motion blur or film grain?

Soldato
First GoW for me. Finished it last night and sold on MM.

I loved it, rating wise I'd probably go 85% or so. I had it on the second hardest difficulty all save for the final boss, where I was getting frustrated and moved it across to the easiest setting.

For me it's the Norse Mythology and story telling which sold it. The gameplay is epic and when you do land the awesome combos you feel like - you know what's coming - a God. I've always preferred Norse to Greek.

But there were a few dull moments, truth be told, and I felt the game wasn't/isn't long enough to deserve that complex an upgrade system, either. The upgrade system was pretty good, however, but would've fitted a forty/fifty hour storyline. The puzzles weren't that complex and sometimes just needlessly annoying (just keep looking up and you'll be okay for most of it).

The storyline and ending was beautifully done though, potentially my favourite out of the usual lot (Uncharted, Last Of Us etc.)

Can't see me playing it again mind. I'll continue to play Fortnite and Rocket League until Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 come around.

I love how it's an easy plot. For a simpleton like me, it's easier to follow and feels much more refreshing. We've got to get the ashes to the highest peak, that's it. Sure, there's loads inbetween, but games that start off like some LoTR epic make me scared to even start.

Soldato
For sure, the detail and set pieces and close in combat is brilliant graphically, at times I look at the views further and things look a little rubbish graphically but I guess most games are like that.

What everyone choice on this favour resolution or performance, I have tried both, performance feels a lot more fluid to me.

Also has anyone adjusted motion blur or film grain?

I turned both right down. Not a fan of motion blur personally

Back
Top Bottom