God of War

Soldato
I'm struggling with performance on this game now but I don't know it it's my system that's the problem or the game. Currently running a 4690K + 1080Ti which is 8yo CPU with a 4yo GFX card. I'm guessing CPU is the limiting factor here?

I get great performance oddly in the fights (55 - 60fps, 60hz monitor) but utter garbage when exploring which is a shame.

Soldato
For people that have played this on PS4 and also on PC, in terms of the game mechanics, what controller method have you preferred?

I've essentially borrowed my mates PS4 with God of War, but i'm just about to finish Horizon Zero Dawn on PC and been impressed with the performance / m+k use.

Interested to know thoughts, I don't mind using a controller but my preference would generally always be mouse and keyboard, but not sure this type of game even suits a M+K over a controller? :)

Man of Honour
For people that have played this on PS4 and also on PC, in terms of the game mechanics, what controller method have you preferred?

I've essentially borrowed my mates PS4 with God of War, but i'm just about to finish Horizon Zero Dawn on PC and been impressed with the performance / m+k use.

Interested to know thoughts, I don't mind using a controller but my preference would generally always be mouse and keyboard, but not sure this type of game even suits a M+K over a controller? :)

I played through God of War with m+k. I also played Horizon with m+k and am currently playing Elden Ring with m+k. I do fine in all of them. I'm not a believer in this whole you must play with a controller lark. I think its far more important which control method you are familiar with. For over 40 years I have played games on keyboard or M&K , I have never played on any console and as a result I am utterly hopeless with a controller, I couldnt play any of the games above to any decent degree if I was forced to use a controller but I can play them all very well by using the familiar M+K setup

Soldato
I played through God of War with m+k. I also played Horizon with m+k and am currently playing Elden Ring with m+k. I do fine in all of them. I'm not a believer in this whole you must play with a controller lark. I think its far more important which control method you are familiar with. For over 40 years I have played games on keyboard or M&K , I have never played on any console and as a result I am utterly hopeless with a controller, I couldnt play any of the games above to any decent degree if I was forced to use a controller but I can play them all very well by using the familiar M+K setup
I am with you on the whole controller thing, I have weird thumbs which makes using them tricky but apart from that I am useless usng one to play a game.

V F

V F

Soldato

Are you using most of the combos to their full advantage or basic combat strikes with mouse/keyboard?

Soldato
Are you using most of the combos to their full advantage or basic combat strikes with mouse/keyboard?
Adding to this then, would you say a m+k is not as intuitive for the gameplay of God of War? I remember on God of War 1/2 on PS2, it worked very well with one for sure.
Fair enough and all valid points, I used to be a good player on the Xbox back in the day, but not so good anymore but I could adapt pretty quickly to a controller I feel.

I've thoroughly enjoyed Horizon that i'm not sure I can wait for Forbidden West to come to PC so that is a controller only option :D

Man of Honour
Adding to this then, would you say a m+k is not as intuitive for the gameplay of God of War? I remember on God of War 1/2 on PS2, it worked very well with one for sure.

M+K is a lot more intuitive for me because as I say, I am truly useless with a controller (I cant even walk in a straight line with one :) ) , now granted perhaps I am not doing super 4 move combos with the M&K but I still beat every enemy in GoW. So the 4 move combo compared to my moves puts me in mind of Indiana Jones when the swordsman swings his sword about all over the place and Indy wins by just using Basic Pistol Shot 1 :D

V F

V F

Soldato

Keyboard could be harder if not good at remembering the keys. With the pad your fingertips are all within reach for quick reactions. I had watched some good God of War players on twitch over the past few months that had decided to connect a controller because they kept forgetting which keys to press very quickly. The defence aspect. That was when they said it became a different game as there is a lot of fast movements.

As there are so many combos to the fighting in this. If relying on basic fighting it can take longer and end up doing less damage.

Where the mouse excels over the gamepad though and for your awareness. But quickly forgetting keyboard binds can get you killed or making it frustrating. As you'll be required to do a lot of parrying for the enchantment perks. Many combos to the shield stuns and battles as well.

It's also a build/stats base type of game. How you battle depends on the perks you've got.

Soldato
Keyboard could be harder if not good at remembering the keys. With the pad your fingertips are all within reach for quick reactions. I had watched some good God of War players on twitch over the past few months that had decided to connect a controller because they kept forgetting which keys to press very quickly. The defence aspect. That was when they said it became a different game as there is a lot of fast movements.

As there are so many combos to the fighting in this. If relying on basic fighting it can take longer and end up doing less damage.

Where the mouse excels over the gamepad though and for your awareness. But quickly forgetting keyboard binds can get you killed or making it frustrating. As you'll be required to do a lot of parrying for the enchantment perks. Many combos to the shield stuns and battles as well.
Think that's making me sway towards a controller then, if its multiple key combos etc I definitely think a controller would suit better for me. With it mainly being melee combat too, the main advantage of mouse and keyboard isn't really there. (Comparing it to Horizon, mainly using ranged weapons, weapon selection, selecting modifications/resources etc, all works superbly with a mouse)

Still might just buy it on steam and then plug in a controller as imagine it'll run better than ps4 :p

V F

V F

Soldato
Still might just buy it on steam and then plug in a controller as imagine it'll run better than ps4 :p

It certainly does. It's practically a whole new game parrying at 120fps versus the PS4. I'd get caught out with the fps lag on the PS4.

I wish the PS5 was pumping out 120fps locked with all Ultra details. It certainly makes controller so precise and a joy to work with.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's quite fun playing this again on PC, though New Game + has spoiled me not having all the godly gear and combos, yet.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've forgotten about this axe pommel that you get from Sigrun. It's practically cheating for Niflheim.

Retribution.

"Retribution (Level 6 – 12 Strength, 10 Luck, 15 Cooldown): Queen’s Wrath,
r1.png
axe throw and recall become incredibly powerful. Low Perk activation chance to strike with a massively damaging explosion on any successful hit.
"

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So first proper game session on the new monitor and managed to pass a bit I was struggling with on the old monitor. The improved latency and higher frames I think def helped as I think my reaction times on the old screen were causing me to get hit in the split moment during duck and slash. Now every movement I make with the MX Master 3 feels like it's a wired mouse. So quick and smooth. Gsync and 144Hz + QD-OLED is a gaming dream :cool:

Soldato
Finally got to Niflheim, I was kind of dreading it from what I'd heard about it but it's actually great fun! This great game keeps getting better and better.

V F

V F

Soldato
Finally got to Niflheim, I was kind of dreading it from what I'd heard about it but it's actually great fun! This great game keeps getting better and better.

It's really not that hard. It's a big giant square with two baseball type pitcher fields, one with a mini boss and the anchor of fog chest then one with the Valkyrie. The patterns change making your think the maze changes but it stays the same. I keep going left coming back out from the right.

Back
Top Bottom