Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Soldato
How good are these.

There music pretty inspiring to say the least. some of the sounds make you feel like your somewhere else.. like out of this world... sounds silly :p

nothing inspired me more on the guitar than these

Soldato
They are alrite. I've never really gotten into them properly though, too little going on in their songs. There's better post-rock out there though :p

Edit: Actually, I think I might whack on my GY!BE now, because I haven't heard it in a while and I'm a lot more into post-rock nowadays. I'll give it another chance :)

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
hehe...dont like them, myself. apparently they have another band, comprising the same members who are "minimalist". i cant quite comprehend a "minimalist" version of G!YBE

*thinks ! is in the right place*

Soldato
I really love their older stuff, but the latest album is a bit of a disappointment.

F#A#(infinity) and Slow Riot for Zero New Kanada are both excellent, especially East Hastings as featured in 28 Days Later. I've seen them live and they're excellent in the flesh too.

There's been plenty of spin-off projects from GY!BE and the best is definitely A Silver Mt. Zion. In fact, I'd go so far to say that A Silver Mt. Zion are better than GY!BE themselves. Certainly worth checking out if you liked what you heard of GY!BE.

Both bands are in my post-rock top three (along with 65daysofstatic).

Associate
Godspeed are probably my favourite post-rock band, closely followed by A Silver Mt. Zion. A lot...calmer than say Explosions In The Sky, but still with some great climaxes. I take Carzy's point about there being "too little going on in their songs", but for me that's part of the beauty of it I guess. Would loved to have seen their tour with Sigur Rós, what a show that must have been.
Certainly seem a weird bunch too, looking at their website/interviews they've done. I heard that when they first formed, you couldn't buy their lps with a credit card. So good politics to beat?

Rob.

Soldato
I need to listen to their stuff a few more times, but I've not been inspired by it really so far.

Problem is, when songs go on for 25 minutes you tend to lose interest, especially when much of that there isn't an awful lot going on music-wise to hold your attention.

I'd like to check out Silver Mt Zion though, heard good things about them.

Soldato
If you're interested in checking out A Silver Mt. Zion, I would rate their releases from best to worst as:

This Is Our Punk Rock
He Has Left Us Alone
Born Into Trouble
Horses In The Sky
Pretty Little Lightning Paw

Definitely check out the top two albums.

Associate
they are easily the best post-rock band ever. Infact they blow away the competition by miles, nobody comes close.
They sound like nothing else, I'm not sure how anyone can say they minimal, they have huge lush orchestration. I remember not being so impressed when i first heard them, but i was only young... give them time they will reward you!

Lift Your Skinny Fists... is probably one of the most perfect albums of all time, and the first 20minutes or so on the second disc is my favourite piece of music of all time.

Fair enough they might not be the most 'immediate' post-rock band, but when was post-rock ever supposed to be immediate.

asmz are very good, but some people can't stand efrims voice...
the first album is very different to the rest of their stuff, i recommend born into trouble (most accessible)

my order:

born into trouble
he has left us alone
punk rock
horses in the sky
lightning paw ep

if you want more minimal godspeed check out set fire to flames, they share a lot of members.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom