Going Car-less

Soldato
I’m barely using a car at the moment, but we do need one for the child and odd errands. I can’t get a parking permit at work and there would be no point in driving anyway as the car wouldn’t even be warmed up by the time I got there. Cruising past the queuing traffic on my bike is very satisfying too!

The 911 is hardly getting used and would perhaps be better to sell up and buy another in a few years. Although a few years will probably turn into when I’m retired... at least it’s costing me less than £300 a month!

Associate
been car less for nearly three months my 12 year old motor was wrote off in a crash not my fault, been paid out think I've done 8k in 3.5 years the cash i received is parked in my isa for now and come October I'll be £500+ up no insurance too buy, breakdown cover not to mention mot. i certainly don't miss the parking hassles that can happen around here either.

sometimes i miss not being able too just shoot off in the car but with my usage at present don't think i can justify the cost.

plus you can be car less for up to 2 years and still keep your no claims. i went 14 months with no car once and still kept my 5 years bonus.

Soldato
I would love to be car less and my day to day life supports this. I walk to work, walk to the supermarket often, going out often involves a drink. Unfortunately I occasionally need a vehicle for work and family commitments but this could very easily be fulfilled by cost effective, easy access ad-hoc car rental (i.e. Zip car if available) or self driving taxis (preferable).

Associate
insurance, tax, fuel, MOT, service, repairs - averaged over a year costing about that.

Repairs are down to its age and condition, haven't even had the tractor sounding engine looked at yet, as mechanic reckons it could be an £800 timing chain.

Doesn't matter how cheap the car is except if it's not been paid for yet of course.

Still, it's something I've never even considered before but we hardly use it really.

I would cut your loses there and get a different cheap run around.
I paid £350 for a Mk1 Focus 1.6 13 months ago for leaving on train station car parks etc, .. all it's needed in the last year is a new battery (£75).

Back
Top Bottom