Going realistically vegan

Associate
I eat rice most days, what is the reasoning to actually cut it out? I know white is refined and that’s what I have but is it really that bad for you?

Soldato
I hae an issue with all this labelling people do, you are vegan, your are not, etc.
Lysander was being cynical too .. is vegan an official census/google-account pronoun.
I sympathise with parents of vegan teenagers these days, a new form of rebellion - pre the age of socialmedia/netflix enightenment, you ate what you are given or go hungry; the longer term fertlity impact on frequent under-nutritioned teenage vegan girls is an incoming problem.
The profits that companies (like Oatley) make from exploiting folks is an ugly side too.

Associate
I eat rice most days, what is the reasoning to actually cut it out? I know white is refined and that’s what I have but is it really that bad for you?

Its got a pretty high glycemic index, is low in fiber, low in nutrients. Its not *that* bad for you, but brown rice / other less processed rices are far healthier.

Soldato
Going vegan full time means a lifestyle change.

Aim for new, different recipes rather than trying to make meals you already know but with substitutes.

Make sure you continue to get a good source of protein and other macros, and make an effort to learn new recipes.

Perhaps one of the box meal plans, to help you get a feel for the types of ingredients you can expect to buy, otherwise it’ll be hard going into a supermarket and thinking “what should I buy” - you’d usually be able to go in and think I’ll just get a chicken, or mince, or a pizza.

Associate
Its got a pretty high glycemic index, is low in fiber, low in nutrients. Its not *that* bad for you, but brown rice / other less processed rices are far healthier.

Yeah that makes sense, I have tried switching to brown rice but I just can't get on with it. I've just got into a bad habit of using that as my simple carb source for dinners.

Soldato
So much food contains milk and egg which is often the struggle.
Also is anyone really fully vegan, the amount of insects in fresh fruit/veg and those caught up in food productions :D

Caporegime
Also is anyone really fully vegan, the amount of insects in fresh fruit/veg and those caught up in food productions :D
I buy frozen sweetcorn and peas, never seen an insect in them, with sweetcorn being yellow they would be hard to miss.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP

I think you have to take a view on some of it. Depends how hardcore you want to be.

For instance, I had some gnocchi for dinner last night. Now, nowhere on the packet and in the ingredients did it say milk or eggs, even milk in powered form, but it still didn't say "vegan" on the packet, just "vegetarian". I still ate it. I think gnocchi are vegan in a lot of cases, but not all.

Since Tue this has been a breeze. Tomorrow is my second and final non-vegan day till next week, so I'm looking forward to some Scotch eggs and pizza :D The 5:2 rule works rather well.

Associate
Come on, give me a break, this was my first day! I still have a lot to learn. Tomorrow will be a bit different.

The Alpro yoghurt to start the day was a terrible idea. Porridge [with water] is surely a way better start. And then soup with bread for lunch, that's the work plan.

Yup, as recommended by Showgirls.

Sorry if I came over a bit harsh, I agree the Alpro yoghurt was a bad idea. Fails to fill you up and in general while they say things like no added sugar they have quite a lot of it in them.
Looks like you doing better, not going to be easy but I'm sure you van do it :)

Associate
For instance, I had some gnocchi for dinner last night. Now, nowhere on the packet and in the ingredients did it say milk or eggs, even milk in powered form, but it still didn't say "vegan" on the packet, just "vegetarian". I still ate it. I think gnocchi are vegan in a lot of cases, but not all.

Products can't be called "Vegan" on the packet if there is risk of cross contamination of none vegan products during production,even though they are vegan.Usually under ingredients it will say "May contain;Milk,Egg etc"

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
@Lysander how are you getting on with this?

Erm, breakfast and lunch are fine but I've slipped up a few times at dinner. I had ravioli with pesto last night and tagiatele the night before. In fact the last four nights have been non-vegan, I would say. The daytime has been fine, but in the evenings it's hard for me to avoid things which are egg and dairy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Erm, breakfast and lunch are fine but I've slipped up a few times at dinner. I had ravioli with pesto last night and tagiatele the night before. In fact the last four nights have been non-vegan, I would say. The daytime has been fine, but in the evenings it's hard for me to avoid things which are egg and dairy.

You are already making a change and eating less meat. You don't have to prove anything by going all out.

I've been more or less vegan today, I had milk in my tea and breakfast though.

For dinner slow roasted vegetables in a bit of olive oil, paprika, salt pepper and a tiny bit of curry powder, on brown rice. Was nice.

I think that's vegan.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good job on making an effort to reduce your meat. Just one minor point though. Veganism is a philosophical belief and not a diet. What I see here in this thread is people going plant-based, not vegan.

Associate
Good job on making an effort to reduce your meat. Just one minor point though. Veganism is a philosophical belief and not a diet. What I see here in this thread is people going plant-based, not vegan.
Do tell us more, you mean like a religion?

Back
Top Bottom