Going to "experience" Hi-Fi Sound this weekend...

Soldato
Will said:
The problem is, whilst you can run a pre out into most stereo amps, you're still left using the pre-amp section of the AV amp, which are almost always rubbish compared to a dedicated stereo pre-amp. So its never going to sound as good, pound for pound, as a dedicated stereo setup.

You connect up the stereo sources directly to the stereo amp, such as a CD player. Connect the surround sources up to the amp. You can then let each do what they're both good at. The only downside is having to select the source on the stereo amp and possibly having to adjust the volume.

Soldato
that's it. Its as simple as that really. if you want the best of both worlds, get a decent stereo amp then add an av and connect them up as Tom described. You could do it the other way, getting the av amp first depending on what your main focus is - stereo music quality or surround sound:)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
james.miller said:
if you want the best of both worlds, get a decent stereo amp then add an av and connect them up as Tom described.

Sorry, but that's not the best of both worlds, that's just another compromise as you're splitting the total funds available between both AV and stereo. The more boxes you add, the less you get to spend on each, fairly obvious when you think about it.
So if you compare the following:
- Front end into AV amp, via stereo amp to 5.1 speakers, you have at least 8 components.
- Front end into stereo amp, then speakers, you have 3 components.
That's pretty easy maths to see that you'll spend considerably more on each component if you're going with just stereo. I can assure you that diminishing returns really don't set in for a LONG time in the stereo world.

Soldato
i dont see how? you buy something you like for 2 channel, buy the rest later. you buy something you like for 5.1, buy a 2 channel amp later. how is it a compromise?
The more boxes you add, the less you get to spend on each, fairly obvious when you think about it.
No, i'm sorry it isnt. Unless you plan on buying everthing there and then, i dont see the problem. Everybody can save money, its not hard.
That's pretty easy maths to see that you'll spend considerably more on each component if you're going with just stereo. I can assure you that diminishing returns really don't set in for a LONG time in the stereo world.
I can assure you most people here know that. I can also assure you that he isnt looking solely at 2 channel stereo setup's, especially concidering he's changed the cambridge amp picture to the 540r av amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hehe sorry guys, looks like I've caused a disagreement. I've been reading all the replies and I'm more confused than ever about what to buy. :p Hah, I'll have a busy weekend deciding by the looks of it! Basically I don't have a clue about how anything sounds at the moment, which is the key really. I think I'll have a better understanding when I'm actually there listening to different setups. :)

Back
Top Bottom