Going to see the Isle of Man TT

Soldato
Anyone ever done this?

Looking into it for this year and trying to gauge how much this would cost for 4 or 5 people ferrying from Liverpool and staying over night.

Don't mind camping.

Soldato
I did it last year mate, BUT didnt organise anything, people pulled out and got offered the places so just paid my share, but I know it was all booked up long in advance, specially the ferry, and even then the gits kept raising the price of the ferry.

We stayed at a camp site at Kirk Michael, walking distance to some decent views.
One thing I woud advise is wrap up warm and bring really warm stuff to sleep in, we were wholly unprepared for how cold it got!

This reminds me totally forgot to do a write up of my trip last year and to post some pictures :p

Associate
I'm going one year.. I've just not had the time or money yet. :(

I'm pretty sure all the ferry places will be booked up by now, most people book a year in advance. I think the ferry is something stupid like £500 I heard too.

This reminds me totally forgot to do a write up of my trip last year and to post some pictures :p

Please do!! :)

Soldato
OP
How much did that cost you Fireskull?

Money isn't an issue for me but it is for some of the people I'd like to go with

I was hoping we'd get away with a maximum of £150 pp for a ferry on foot and camping.

I only want to stay 1 night too but I think 2 nights is the minimum.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, they're still offering tickets for ferries from liverpool to the island for most of the race days.

Steam-packet is saying they are all sold out for bike's - although I just noticed you say a foot passenger above, in which case you might be lucky.

Last edited:
Soldato
5 months seems more than adequate to me?

For foot passengers who want to camp it probably is, but if you want to go over on a car or bike on your own choice of days, and you want to find a B&B then you'll be in for a shock. Most people start booking the next years event when they get back from the previous one.

I would think a foot passenger ticket and 2 nights camping during race week is doable for £200, though it probably won't leave you with much beer money. Practice week is usually quite a bit cheaper.

Associate
Steam-packet is saying they are all sold out for bike's - although I just noticed you say a foot passenger above, in which case you might be lucky.

If you want to take bike from Liverpool you need to book 12 months before - I have tried the last 2 years to get booked in Aug (10 months before) and no joy.

I flew over last time for the race week - was amazing. Didnt miss not having the bike as I was beered up every day :D

Soldato
Oh it is amazing... when you can actually get up there..... you will spend more time being turned away by the police because someone has killed themselves than actually riding over the damn mountain! Saying that you do find all the other awesome roads around the island when you get bored :D
A lot of them more suited to a supermoto than a sportsbike though, and some I was glad the brakes worked because they were so damn steep!

Soldato
Yes, it's frustrating when there's a massive load of bikes waiting for hours for the mountain to open, and when it finally opens it's closed again half an hour later because some McGuiness wannabe ran out of talent.

As you say though, the mountain isn't the only bit of decent road. No TT for me this year sadly, though tempted by the NW200 (if only we could guarantee it's not going to be a total washout!)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd like to go there on my bike at some point.

What's it like getting there on a regular day in the summer? I'd go this year but I'll be in the Falklands as of the 22nd June :(

Soldato
I'd like to go there on my bike at some point.

What's it like getting there on a regular day in the summer? I'd go this year but I'll be in the Falklands as of the 22nd June :(

I presume you mean the IOM? The ferry is significantly cheaper outside of the race weeks (TT and Manx GP), it was about £110 return when I looked at going last year in late June. I guess there will be lots more tourists bumbling around in cars though.

Back
Top Bottom