Going to upgrade, probably just monitor, advice sought

Man of Honour
The only thing I do that requires anything like modern computer power is gaming. I play a variety of games, but mainly from a couple of years or more ago because I tend to buy dozens (OK, I'm lying, it's actually hundreds) of games from a couple of years ago or more at very low prices. Steam, GOG, you know the drill. Buy 20 games, play 4 of them, forget you've bought the others and go to buy them again 6 months later, repeat :) FO76 is probably the heaviest load I place on my PC and that's mainly because it's inefficient.

Other than that, it's just web browsing, video at 1080p at most (almost entirely Youtube), the usual stuff. Nothing that requires much power in the hardware.

My current graphics card is a very well cooled 1070Ti that boosts a lot and is on a par with a 1080 according to the benchmarks I've run. I don't even bother overclocking it, although it happily overclocks completely stably all the way to the power draw throttle at 130% power without even having to run the fan anywhere near max.

Current CPU is an i7-4790K that I've never bothered overclocking but which would probably overclock pretty well for that CPU as I have a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power on it. Overkill for air cooling, but I wanted to ensure my cooling was as quiet as possible.

Other stuff inside the case: 16GB of DDR3-2400, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, 250GB EVO 750 SSD, a 1TB HDD for stuff that doesn't need anything faster, Enthoo Pro M case, Fractal Design Newton 600W PSU.

So I'm thinking that my most "bang for the buck" upgrade is probably my monitor, which is a Samsung Syncmaster B2430. 24 inch, 1920x1080, TN, 60Hz, no adaptive sync. Works perfectly, nice quality, not at all bad. But there's room for improvement.

I've been looking at monitors, but I'm chasing the elusive moving upgrade. I look at a £200 AOC monitor that does well in reviews, is 32 inches, 2560x1440 and 75Hz...but then I think it's probably too big and I'd need to rearrange my room because there'd be light shining on the screen and I'd need a longer desk or some other way to have the monitor a bit further from me and I'd like a higher refresh rate and G-sync looks like a good idea...and I work my way up to looking at £600 monitors and then I think that's silly for a toy and I look at the AOC monitor again...and then I see that some 4K monitors that don't look at all bad can be had for a little under £400 and I think about that and then I think that my PC isn't really up to 4K gaming and then I look at the AOC monitor again and then I wonder if a curved screen would be better or worse for me than a flat screen and then...

At this rate I'll buy nothing until this monitor breaks and then I'll have to temporarily use something from my spare room of who knows what old bits are in there. Horror! It might be an old CRT at 1024x768!

Budget is whatever I can tell myself is worth spending on a toy I don't really need. That £200 AOC monitor would be quite a bit better than what I have, so while I could spend lots on a monitor I'm not going to. The only reason I have any spare money is because I don't spend very much of it. Maybe £400, but it would have to be at least twice as good as the £200 AOC monitor. Preferably 2 shillings and sixpence, of course :)

Man of Honour
Budget is whatever I can tell myself is worth spending on a toy I don't really need. That £200 AOC monitor would be quite a bit better than what I have, so while I could spend lots on a monitor I'm not going to. The only reason I have any spare money is because I don't spend very much of it. Maybe £400, but it would have to be at least twice as good as the £200 AOC monitor. Preferably 2 shillings and
As an owner of said monitor, I can attest it's the best bang/buck you are going to find :)
No point umming-ahhhing and just get it ;)

Man of Honour
OP
I just picked up a samsung 28" 4k monitor for £200 yesterday. Might not be the best but like you I didnt want to spend £600 on it,

That was a good price! But everything I look at tells me that a 1070 Ti isn't really up to 4K gaming. Maybe it would be OK if the monitor had g-sync, but a 4K monitor with g-sync is not going to be anything like £200.

As an owner of said monitor, I can attest it's the best bang/buck you are going to find :)
No point umming-ahhhing and just get it ;)

But...but...it's not 144Hz and g-sync :)

I've been thinking how to best rearrange my gaming room to accomodate a 32" monitor, so I'm definitely leaning towards the AOC one. It is a fair bit better than what I have now and it's really good for £200. Oddly, if it was 28" I would probably have bought it already at the same price, but it might be good to have an extra few inches. I wonder if OcUK have any in stock...

Man of Honour
But...but...it's not 144Hz and g-sync
my monitor is being powered by a 1080ti :p
But everything I look at tells me that a 1070 Ti isn't really up to 4K gaming. Maybe it would be OK if the monitor had g-sync, but a 4K monitor with g-sync is not going to be anything like £200.
correct-ish. probably for older games, 1070ti may be sufficient for 4k gaming at slightly reduced settings.
for the latest and greatest, however, not even the 1080ti/2080 is a "true 4k" card. i think that title belongs to the 2080ti.
unfortunately nvidia seems to think that most gamers will lube up and spend silly money for it... :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
OP
I ended up buying the AOC monitor. Not from OcUK, unfortunately, because they still didn't have any in stock. I'm not surprised at how well they're selling. It's a great monitor for £200. Mine arrived with no dead pixels and no backlight bleed, so win all round. Of course, I will "need" to spend hours fiddling with a monitor stand and room lighting and monitor settings to get it set up as well as possible :)

After a few hours, I'm quite used to the far bigger screen size and starting to wonder how I managed with a 24" monitor. The higher resolution is very nice too. It makes more of a difference in games than I was expecting. £200 very well spent. I'd have considered it good value for money if I had spent £300 on it.

Soldato
This chap says Freesync on that monitor works with an Nvidia (Pascal or newer) card - https://www.overclock.net/forum/27807794-post4.html

I wonder if it overclocks a bit more than 75Hz through Nvidia Control Panel and if the Freesync min-max range can then be increased with CRU - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5iux1q/updated_tutorial_on_increasing_and_decreasing/

Like the other chap in the second link says, better to use Nvidia or Radeon panel for the actual overclocking, than CRU itself, in case anyone reading gives it a try. I ran into a bit of trouble with CRU overclocking once but never had issues through Nvidia Control Panel.

Back
Top Bottom