Going wireles:got my laptop, router..were do I start? (newbie alert!)

Associate
Hello :)

I just purchased a laptop (Toshiba A100 120), and it says "Wireless Enabled" in the spec.

I also brought a Router (Belkin 802.11g+) and I hadn't a clue about wireless pc's to *start* with to be honest...

Anyway, what I want to do simply, is have a wireless laptop round the house while using my desktop as "fixed". What connections do I do need to go wireless then??? Do I need something extra? (card or something) - as I tried all the set up functions on the screen (modem into router, and to the laptop, then a "blue cable that goes in the back, then turn the router on etc etc).

My laptop says a wireless connection is now enabled (or something like that) - But I think the switch on my laptop (on/off for wireless enabled) makes this happen - without the Router connected at all

There is some sort of connection - "wireless enabled" at 54 mps, but when I try to connect to the internet it (click on internet Explorer) it won't connect, simple as that. I'm clueless TBH

EDIT: do I need any more attachments for my laptop (NetWare adapters or something??? - if so, I wasn't to assume that a wireless enabled laptop, and a Belkin Router wouldn't be enough) I was assuming that the "wireless enabled" would do the job, along with my router but really am stuck/

TIA

Last edited:
Caporegime
You've got everything you need.

There should be some software supplied, or Windows should do it, to manage the connection. It should see the router (its default SSID should be in the manual) and connect and get an IP from it. Getting out to the internet's probably a different story.
You should also enable some kind of security on the wireless connection. The manual should be able to help there.

Associate
OP
Cheers Tolien

I turned my laptop on an hour ago (or not long after my post), and just turned the "wireless enabled" button on, clicked on MSN/Explorer etc, and it was working (logged into MSN Messenger to confirm this). As soon as I did that though, my main computer (this one:) also displayed MSN messener logged in. (i did put some IP's in last night that tiscali sent to me)

I have turned the laptop off now though, as I want to read a little more about it rather than just get into some msess/security issue :eek: Thus: http://www.forum-faqs.co.uk/guides/security.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
tolien said:
You've got everything you need.

Do I need TWO pc's with network adaptor cards? (IE: this desktop - along with my wireless laptop)

A recap

---I have a BELKIN G+ Router

---I have a modem with RJ11 and it has USB connection (speedtouch 300 modem) etc

---RJ45 that came with Router),

---I have a laptop with Wireless enabled.

So when I set up, should my cable (RJ11) go into the phone socket? - or just the modem? - as I don't get any "internet presence/detection" when setting up from the BELKIN Wizard

I've tried the Wizard install (BELKIN) but when Checking internet connection - it tries up to 10 times but doesn't detect.

My settings ATM are as thus:

1) Router with blue Cable (RJ45) connected to laptop
2) Modem Cable connected to router and MODEM (Speedtouch - which is conected to laptop via usb)
3)Main PSU in on the router

Is this the way to set up? - or do I need to connect the RJ11 to the main phone socket?. It says on Belkin Website (and manual) somewhere that you need a PC network/wireles etc on it, and other devices work from it.

I was hoping I could get my laptop connected WIRELESSLY to the internet without having to connect the router to the main computer - not sure really.

Anthony

Last edited:
Associate
Antx777 said:
Do I need TWO pc's with network adaptor cards? (IE: this desktop - along with my wireless laptop)

A recap

---I have a BELKIN G+ Router

---I have a modem with RJ11 and it has USB connection (speedtouch 300 modem) etc

---RJ45 that came with Router),

---I have a laptop with Wireless enabled.

So when I set up, should my cable (RJ11) go into the phone socket? - or just the modem? - as I don't get any "internet presence/detection" when setting up from the BELKIN Wizard

I've tried the Wizard install (BELKIN) but when Checking internet connection - it tries up to 10 times but doesn't detect.

My settings ATM are as thus:

1) Router with blue Cable (RJ45) connected to laptop
2) Modem Cable connected to router and MODEM (Speedtouch - which is conected to laptop via usb)
3)Main PSU in on the router

Is this the way to set up? - or do I need to connect the RJ11 to the main phone socket?. It says on Belkin Website (and manual) somewhere that you need a PC network/wireles etc on it, and other devices work from it.

I was hoping I could get my laptop connected WIRELESSLY to the internet without having to connect the router to the main computer - not sure really.

Anthony

RJ11 goes into the phone socket and modem. RJ45 or USB goes from modem to router. Once you've got that, you can start getting the connection setup. It's like one big daisy chain, but the last link from the router to the PC is an imaginary daisy that you can't see (it's late I know ;))

Once you can connect to the router, you should consider setting up security. Connect your laptop to your router directly via RJ45, and login to it. To work out how to login, go into Control Panel, Network Connections and get the default gateway IP. Put this into FF/IE and it'll give you the login page for the router. Username and password should be in the box.

In terms of security, it's been about 18 months since I setup wireless, when I did you were best off with WPA, but WEP works with everything. It may have changed, but the general idea is to set a passkey or password at the router, and when Windows prompts you to connect wirelessly you should enter this code on the PC. Like I said, I'm quite rusty, but if you're still having problems let me know.

Al

Associate
OP
It's the modem bit thats confusing me: for example, you said: """"RJ11 goes into the phone socket and modem. RJ45 or USB goes from modem to router" """

Theres no USB Connector on the router. Since my RJ11 is in phone socket and modem, How can a RJ45 go from Modem to Router? - if there is no more outputs from Modem mine's here
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/prod330.htm USB cable and Phone cable (two connectors)

So if my Modem is connected to my Router...how do I connect my router to the phone socket???

LOST!!! :( :rolleyes:

Associate
Antx777 said:
It's the modem bit thats confusing me: for example, you said: """"RJ11 goes into the phone socket and modem. RJ45 or USB goes from modem to router" """

Theres no USB Connector on the router. Since my RJ11 is in phone socket and modem, How can a RJ45 go from Modem to Router? - if there is no more outputs from Modem mine's here
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/prod330.htm USB cable and Phone cable (two connectors)

So if my Modem is connected to my Router...how do I connect my router to the phone socket???

LOST!!! :( :rolleyes:

Either your modem needs an RJ45 connection, or your router needs a USB port. The Speedtouch modems are USB only, so if your router doesn't have USB you're screwed.

You'll either need an ADSL router (i.e. with modem built-in) or an Ethernet/RJ45 modem from the ISP.

RJ11 needs to go from your phone socket to your modem (or router if dual purpose router and modem)

Associate
OP
Well, I got as far as setting the modem up (unconventional way) - in which my phone connecter had two RJ11's so one went to modem, one to router, and I was set up on broadband while going through the process - and the wizard (belkin) took me through etc.

I restarted my pc after all this, and my wireless switch was turned on. "a connection is enabled here" etc, and I selected my name from the "choose a wireless network". Well my name is there, I click to connect, sometimes it "connects" other times I get Acquiring network address, and if that connects, it will sometimes say: limited or no connection (or something like that).

It WAS connected then, but when I click on IE (or any other internet connection) it will not work (although I have was connected yesterday when I turned my laptop on - then no more for rest of day). The one that connects easiest is the BELKIN54G - and that's the name it displays - and always has a strong signal (as opposed to my user names weak signal.

My Router has only the psu connected to it, and there are two solid lights - with the right one flashing. is this the norm?.

EDIT: Do I need the Router connected to something else? - as it is just sittng near the laptop connected to nothing (with no lan/modem wired in etc)

TIA

Anthony :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Problem solved: had a CABLE router, when it should have been an ADSL. 10 mins to set up even with silly instrucions (they tell you to plug your rj11 into the pc when it should be in the phone etc. It's faster than my BB too (600+kps Versus 400ish (belkin router/modem combi).. See I'm an expert really you know, I was just given the wrong tools ;) :D :cool:

Anthony

Back
Top Bottom