Golf V5: thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
I think if you said why you're asking on that engine people might be more partial to answer questions properly.

OP may have been offered one or cheap etc.

The other engines do not matter so I have no interest in being told that I should get something else.
Any reason I would give should have no bearing on someone giving information. If people don't want to offer info purely because they want to know more about irrelevant stuff then that's cool by me.

Associate
The other engines do not matter so I have no interest in being told that I should get something else.
Any reason I would give should have no bearing on someone giving information. If people don't want to offer info purely because they want to know more about irrelevant stuff then that's cool by me.

Jees calm down a bit.

You asked about an engine and people have answered: "it's not as good as xxxx."

What do you even want to know about it?

Problems? What it's like to drive? Ways to maintain it? What it's better/worse than? Other options? What it rhymes with?

Be as vague as you have and you are going to get people answering not what you intended.

Soldato
seriously. its the worst engine. up there with 2.0, 1.6, 1.4, 1.8.

diesels are nice but worth a MASSIVE premium over a petrol. id have to pay double what i paid for mine to get a same spec diesel and mine is quicker than any of the diesels with a remap

Soldato
Jees calm down a bit.

You asked about an engine and people have answered: "it's not as good as xxxx."

What do you even want to know about it?

Problems? What it's like to drive? Ways to maintain it? What it's better/worse than? Other options? What it rhymes with?

Be as vague as you have and you are going to get people answering not what you intended.

it is important to know what it rhymes with

Caporegime
OP
Thepeganator - I'm perfectly calm thanks. What it rhymes with would be cool though.

If you are incapable of reading the op then here it is again (kinda):
Anyone have any knowledge on the golf v5?

Now, 'buy x instead' is not knowledge on the car I asked about, but hey, you feel free to offer something else pointless :)

Man of Honour
Foxtrot, what's chain slap?

The V5 (and V6 and VR6) have timing chains. When they wear, or when the chain tensioners wear, then the chains get quite noisy. This is usually quite a rattly sound. Eventually they can fail and this can cause significant engine damage. So it's important to get them replaced when they show signs of wear. This can be expensive.

However, the chains/tensioners can last anything from 100k to 200k depending on how well the engine has been treated and maintained.

Man of Honour
Can't think of a single reason to buy a Golf V5. They are not particularly cheap, they are not particularly fast, they are not particularly economical, why bother?

You rubbished the most sensible suggestion - Toledo V5's are absolutely worthless because everyone goes OMG ITS UGLY etc and you get a high spec car (It was the top model) for virtually nothing.

The Golf though? Waste of time. Another car that is destined to fade into oblivion as they cost too much for the cheapskates to run, and those who are not bothered about the cost have sights set a tad higher than a 10 year old Golf with a crud engine.

Buy a V6 4Mo or a 1.8T.

Better still, buy something else.

Soldato
I had one as a run around for a few years. I did not drive it my self much but it was not a bad car however I would not get one again.

The auto box died in around 07, cost 3.5k to fix. It drinks petrol compared to the 335i I had at the time.

To be honest I would not bother, as others have said the 4 motion is better.

Soldato
Maybe if you explained why you were only asking for info in that specific car it would stop everyone trying to offer alternative......

Associate
I've had a Bora V5 (150 bhp version) for about nine years now, and I've been quite happy with it. It's not a sporty car, but it does make a really nice cruiser and it's pretty refined.

It is a bit thirsty, but I don't do much mileage so that doesn't bother me, and so far it's been thoroughly reliable with no mechanical problems whatsoever.

I'm not looking forward to the day I have to change it - there are plenty of more exciting or more luxurious cars about, but for the price I paid and for the lack of hassle it's given me it's been a damn good car.

Permabanned
I had a 2001 model, it was the 170bhp one which IIRC has a silver V and a red 5 in the V5 logo.

It was great, more of a 'cruiser with a bit of power' than a 'sports hatch'. I used mine contracting and did about 40k miles per year (I bought it just before changing jobs and liked it so didn't bother selling it for a while), I could average 40mpg+ on long runs most of the time if I was reasonably gentle on the throttle.

Mine was bombproof, aside from the drivers electric window which kept failing and falling out until I bought a new mechanism, but that was a generic Golf issue. I had a wheel bearing wear out at about 100k miles, but that was it. Parts are very cheap, as they are common with lots of other VW/Audi/Skoda/Seats. If you use independant garages servicing costs are pretty low too.

It was quite relaxing to drive, it had plenty of torqe so overtaking in top gear was easy/normal.

I kept mine for 3 years, which for me is a long time for a car as I'm usually super picky, so it can't have been too bad. It even survived being t-boned by a chav, in a crash that wrote off his Saxo but only put the Golf in the body shop for a fortnight. :D

As others have said, if you prefer sporty, a 1.8T GTi is probably going to be more fun/tunable etc.

Soldato
More thirsty than a 335i?! Crazy

Yah I know, In general the car got around 18 MPG (13l/100km) the 335i give me around 23 MPG.

We did put moon miles on the car and other then the gearbox it seems to be fine.

The car was just sold 2k in Norway because the girl (close friend) I sold it to drove it there and did not want to drive it back to Czech :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom