Golf V5: thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
they drink a lot : yes

is this a bad thing (in view of the lack of performance) : yes

so it is therefore, what is known as, a FAIL

Soldato
my mate has one and and his mpg is truly awful. If you are getting one make sure the coilpacks have been done as over the past 2 years its been in 4 times for them going, once one goes the others follow

Caporegime
Maybe if you explained why you were only asking for info in that specific car it would stop everyone trying to offer alternative......

Why do you think he's avoiding that? It'd just open up a large and pointless discussion, resulting in even fewer relevant replies.

MrLOL said:
well given that you are ignoring half the advice given in this thread

Maybe he's ignoring it as it's not answering the actual question? It's better than people such as yourself entirely ignoring the title of the thread.

'Please can I have some info about a V5 engine?'

'No, buy a V6!!'

:rolleyes:

Soldato
Speak to the people who havent had one they'll tell you its crap, speak to the people that have had one and they'll tell you its fine.

02+ are 170 BHP, drive one see what you think, dont bother with the 4Motion, my mate had one, its great if you live in the sticks and have any other reason to use a smooth 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive motor but its terribly slow for what it is, my little Civic VTEC used to leave it behind up to motorway speeds, the V5 is only running two wheels so its not that much difference in performance to the 4Motion, its the grip that makes the difference. I looked into them as I quite fancied one in a Bora, its the fan problem that put me off

Associate
I have a v5* .. its been completly flawless, 141K Miles and I havn't had to spend a penny other than regular servicing things. It eats front tyres, sounds nice, engine is smooth, pulls well especially after 4.5K when VVT kicks in it really pulls off you can feel the kick, its not blisteringly quick off the line (8s -60) but once your moving she will pull really well. Infact I'm glad I went for the V5 not just because of the spec I got but reliability and the engine is known for its reliability.

* Oh its a toledo ;)

DSC00386.jpg

Soldato
Speak to the people who havent had one they'll tell you its crap, speak to the people that have had one and they'll tell you its fine.

02+ are 170 BHP, drive one see what you think, dont bother with the 4Motion, my mate had one, its great if you live in the sticks and have any other reason to use a smooth 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive motor but its terribly slow for what it is, my little Civic VTEC used to leave it behind up to motorway speeds, the V5 is only running two wheels so its not that much difference in performance to the 4Motion, its the grip that makes the difference. I looked into them as I quite fancied one in a Bora, its the fan problem that put me off

The V6 4 motion is not terrible slow. It is a reasonably fast, comfortable Golf.

It does 0-60 in around 7 seconds, how can this be considered terribly slow?

I highly doubt you left one behind up to motorway speeds, even a Civic Type R would only pull gently ahead.

Soldato
The Civic at the time was a 1.6 VTI 3 door hatch 2000 shape and up to motorway speeds it was quicker unless it was wet obviously. I also driven it so i'm perfectly entitled to my opinion it was my best mates car at the time. My other mates remapped Leon used to absolutely destroy it, in fact we used to take the mick out of it regulary as he paid serious money from a main dealer for it to the point where he sold it and bought an Astra GSI, which blew up

Associate
The Civic at the time was a 1.6 VTI 3 door hatch 2000 shape and up to motorway speeds it was quicker unless it was wet obviously. I also driven it so i'm perfectly entitled to my opinion it was my best mates car at the time. My other mates remapped Leon used to absolutely destroy it, in fact we used to take the mick out of it regulary as he paid serious money from a main dealer for it to the point where he sold it and bought an Astra GSI, which blew up

There was something up with that VR6 then. :D

Soldato
V6 4 mo is not a slow car 60 in 6.9 seconds and a top speed of 145mph plent torque and quick in gear too it's not that heavy either 1400kg had a play with plenty ep3 type rs in my old one standard there was nothing in it

Soldato
Fair enough i'm not arguing over it I was there we used to go out in our cars all the time and this was 5 years ago when the cars were almost new apart from mine which was 4 years old. We did used to slate him for being a crap driver but I driven it and didnt like its performance at all, I liked the noise and the interior especially the Recaros and the build quality but that was it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom