Golf V5: thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I think people are a bit unsure and confused of the nature surounding the thread thats all.

I still want to know why you want to know, ya know?

Because it’s certainly got a strange but precise feeling to it. If it is curiosity, its particularly narrow pin pointed curiosity at that.

:p

Caporegime
OP
I think people are a bit unsure and confused of the nature surounding the thread thats all.

I still want to know why you want to know, ya know?

:p

jesus :( i have not asked for more info! no idea why you lot thing i am still asking for info, im not!

Because it’s certainly got a strange but precise feeling to it. If it is curiosity, its particularly narrow pin pointed curiosity at that.

is that any different to the monaro thread where someone is just asking for some information? So its a bigger engined car, does that really make a difference?

Soldato
were not talking the 150 version. also is that 225 remapped?

I owned the 225TT and the 170 BHP golf at the same time, the golf was nicer for long motorway runs but it used so much petrol I just ended up taking the TT. speed wise you can really feel the difference between the 1.8T and the V5.

I never really got the point of the V5, its slower then the 1.8, uses more petrol and a buyer wanted a N/A big engine why would they not just get the V6. Golfs are generally town cars and not motorway cruisers.

Soldato
if the comparrison is between a 1.8 225bhp 20vt and an old 150bhp v5 then it's not particulary fair now is it?

mine shouldnt be near 225bhp. its a 150bhp 1.8t with a handful of tweaks. if it gets similar (better in this case) economy then its definately comparable in my book if youre paying X amount for fuel id rather have the most performance i can get... hence why it smarts so much to fuel the golf when in reality it isnt that much more economical than the S4 which wtfpwnz any mk4 platform golf so hard the golf wouldnt see which way its head went

Soldato
If you wanted info just find the relevant forum for V5 golfs and read the damn stickies or ask them or just use google to search forums for peoples opinions.

Christ on a bike what were you expecting from motors here, an encyclopedia of knowledge on some random generic golf then shutup and let you buy it? I don't know if you realise it but a lot of the responses to start with were there to try and help you steer you away from this car with some better suggestions based on what people know and have experienced.

If you wanted to waste peoples time with just finding out about some generic info on the golf then go re-read my first paragraph.

Caporegime
OP
Ad, given the amount of times I've posted why I posted this thread you look stupid.
Also, this is a discussion forum, not only a spec me' forum. I hope you have posted the same post in the monaro thread, where that is purely for info!

+1 internetz for your eAnger though :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I must say I have read this thread and still remain baffled. Where is the context ??

What are we supposed to be contributing? All I can see is the OP being too lazy to read about the car.

Caporegime
OP
I was just asking for information here rather than on a cannot forum that would have left out any negative points. Purely for info, not to decide wether to buy or for someone else to. There are plenty of people here with experience of them and others who have just read about them.
There was a better chance of getting a rounded opinion of them here than on a golf forum.
No different to the vxr8 thread, purely asking for info.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ad, given the amount of times I've posted why I posted this thread you look stupid.
Also, this is a discussion forum, not only a spec me' forum. I hope you have posted the same post in the monaro thread, where that is purely for info!

Well to be more accurate we are all confused and you are looking a bit foolish tbh.

Not posting info on that thread as the car is actually awesome even if it has plenty of niggles.

Plus your thread title is 'Golf V5:thoughts?'. You asked a question and people gave you their thoughts, yet you are saying that you don't want thoughts.

Confusing thread is very confusing and so is the OP.

Caporegime
OP
No, learn to read. I said I don't want alternative suggestions for cars to buy. It's not a hard concept to understand.

So ts because of the car that it is that the vxr8 thread has not been trashed like this? Motors snobbery at ts best :)

Soldato
i was just telling you the v5 was crap and then compared it to other cars. telling someone that somethign is crap without saying why is a bit pointless

youve bought a v5 havent you??!! lol

Soldato
I drive a V5 (150bhp) Toledo and love it. The car has 168k miles on it now and it's been great. Yes the engine is thirsty which was a bit of an issue for me when petrol was sky high but there you go. The lowest mpg it's done was 26, the highest 32.

It's got a fair bit of poke, not a massive amount but then as someone else said it's not a sports car. I've now owned it for 3 years in which time I've put 58k miles on it and the only engine work I've had done aside from servicing was replacing a belt.

Caporegime
OP
i was just telling you the v5 was crap and then compared it to other cars. telling someone that somethign is crap without saying why is a bit pointless

youve bought a v5 havent you??!! lol

Comparing to other cars wit a bit of info is good. Comparing and saying 'get an x instead because the v5 is crap' is pointless, as you said :)
Not all posts in here have been pointless, there's been good info (both for and against the car) :)

And no, I haven't bought one. The only car that has caught my eye lately is a scooby wrx auto!

Soldato
I dont know if the auto box failing is a common problem or ours was just bad luck but it was not cheap to fix. I cant quite remember but I think it was over 3k (done by VW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom