Gonna buy a macbook me thinks!

Soldato
I've lost count of the number of times that people on this forum wrongly insist that you must pay the extra £58 to get the 3yr warranty on HE purchases.

To all future buyers:

Read the terms and conditions. 3yr warranty comes as standard with HE purchases.

Don't waste £58 on phone support that you'll never use :p

Last edited:
Suspended
wush said:
I've lost count of the number of times that people on this forum wrongly insist that you must pay the extra £58 to get the 3yr warranty on HE purchases.

To all future buyers: just read the terms and conditions and save yourself from wasting money on phone support that you'll never use :p

Is that true, though? WHat about the fact that it will help resale value?

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
Is that true, though? WHat about the fact that it will help resale value?
It is true that 3yrs warranty comes as standard with HE purchases.

The phone support thing is a separate issue. Whether or not having phone support attached to the laptop for 3 years would increase resale value enough to offset the cost of the phone support in the first place (should you even decide to sell it in that time period) is really not worth concerning yourself over..

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Always had good deliveries personally.

Worst story I have is when TNT couldn't find my house.. in which case I cancelled the order, waited a day and reordered.. got it 24hrs later than usual :)

Soldato
EVH said:
Always had good deliveries personally.

Worst story I have is when TNT couldn't find my house.. in which case I cancelled the order, waited a day and reordered.. got it 24hrs later than usual :)

That's good, plus when I order mine, I'll know they will have it in stock because it would have been released that day or day before (hopefully)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

wush said:
HE is the one for university students and AFAIK is the best discount.
All the discount prices are in the sticky :)

I'm betting Apple bumps the MBPs and says "order today" but will have a lead time of 3-5 meaning they'd come straight from Shanghai + shipping would equal 5-7 days reality

Suspended
Ordered Tuesday 4pm, came at 11am today (Thursday). Along with a lovely green Nano.

And to top this wonderful day off I just watched Departed on it...what a film and what a laptop.... :D :D :D

Re discounts:

HE applies not university students only, and only at universities that signed the contract with Apple, which does include a very large number of them...this discount is between 12-14 percent dependant on product.

FE is the further education discount available to all others in education (not sure if this has to be over 16 or not, although I assume it would, hence the "further@). This is beteen 8-10 percent dependant on product.

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
And to top this wonderful day off I just watched Departed on it...what a film and what a laptop.... :D :D :D

Hope you used Front Row. :p

Was this your first Mac btw? How are you finding it? :)

Edit: What a film indeed, well deserved the Oscar('s) it got.

Suspended
Whats front row?

Yes, my first Mac -- its all quite exciting!!! :)

Although I am being a retard and feel like my parents trying to use this computer. For several reasons:

How do I create a new folder, lets say, on the desktop? Earlier I did it just by going to file... but is there no second button menu on a Mac?

How do I copy and paste stuff? I can't work out the keyboard shortcut, and obviously have the second button menu..

The trackpad isn't quite fast enough for me, even on "fastest" setting - it has a "soft" feel. Any way to sharpen/speed up?

I am filling this comp with nothing except open source/non Microsoft stuff. not sure why, but it seems fun using Open Office, for example. :)

Now I can't decide whether I should use Safari or Fiefox

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
Whats front row?

Yes, my first Mac -- its all quite exciting!!! :)

Although I am being a retard and feel like my parents trying to use this computer. For several reasons:

How do I create a new folder, lets say, on the desktop? Earlier I did it just by going to file... but is there no second button menu on a Mac?

CTRL-click, or turn on two finger right clicking in system prefs under mouse.

How do I copy and paste stuff? I can't work out the keyboard shortcut, and obviously have the second button menu..
Command-c and command v.

The trackpad isn't quite fast enough for me, even on "fastest" setting - it has a "soft" feel. Any way to sharpen/speed up?
Seems fine for me coming from an MX518 which could move over a 19" monitor in a few CM

I am filling this comp with nothing except open source/non Microsoft stuff. not sure why, but it seems fun using Open Office, for example. :)

Now I can't decide whether I should use Safari or Fiefox

Firefox.

:)

You'll get used to it soon enough, then you'll feel out of place using a Windows PC. I did.

Also, whack the menu button on your Apple remote, that's Front Row.

Edit: Shift-Command-N on the desktop does a new folder too.

Start a Mac help thread and I'll help you some more. :p

Might also be a good idea to lurk on the Apple discussion boards, you can find out some handy stuff. http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Last edited:
Soldato
Shostakovich said:
Thanks for this... :)

But which button is command?

Also, what is the keyboard shortcut for "go to desktop'?

Whack F11 to go the desktop.

Command is the one with the Apple on it; , if that shows.

Another cool trick is holding shift whilst clicking the minimise button. ;)

Soldato
Justin said:

Dammit, I missed it. :(

One of my best Mac moments was giving it to my mum whilst I went to cook something, only to go and check back 5 minutes later and seeing her still on the desktop frantically moving the mouse over things trying to launch something. :p

Back
Top Bottom