Gonna buy a macbook me thinks!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They're meant to be introducing an update to boost the iPod to 120GB.

If they are offering this then I may buy early :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

All you have to do it connect the Macs together with firewire, then boot up using T (held down) to boot in to target-disk mode.

From here just move across data and settings and bingo.. you're done :)

Edit.. if Samsung and co. can shove a 120GB in their MP3 players then I can't see why they can't shove it in to existing iPod designs! I'd love a bigger iPod to double as a backup drive (because i'm greedy)

Soldato
EVH said:
All you have to do it connect the Macs together with firewire, then boot up using T (held down) to boot in to target-disk mode.

From here just move across data and settings and bingo.. you're done :)

Yeah, I was going to do it using a network cable but that sounds fairly similar, if potentially faster. My problem is more knowing what to copy and from / to where, really. I know the Windows file structure like the back of my hand and know just where all the local settings and program files tend to be stored on a PC, but I don't have that sort of experience on OS X yet so I'm concerned that it's going to take me a long time. Oh well, gotta learn anyway :)

arty

Soldato
These prediction websites seem to be quite accurate. They got the release of the upgraded Macbooks right, so lets hope they do bring out Macbook Pros on Tuesday.

Permabanned
arty said:
Yeah, I was going to do it using a network cable but that sounds fairly similar, if potentially faster. My problem is more knowing what to copy and from / to where, really. I know the Windows file structure like the back of my hand and know just where all the local settings and program files tend to be stored on a PC, but I don't have that sort of experience on OS X yet so I'm concerned that it's going to take me a long time. Oh well, gotta learn anyway :)

arty

Its all fairly straightforward really. All user-specific settings are in /Users/<username>/Library and all machine-specific settings will be in /Library

As applications are generally bundled up in a .app you can drag and drop most applications straight in too, though there are exceptions (generally anything with a dedicated installer such as Office, anti-virus/ VPN clients etc).

The settings themselves are stored as plist files, which are really just XML files (which sometimes will have binary data contained within them).

Soldato
M0KUJ1N said:
Its all fairly straightforward really. All user-specific settings are in /Users/<username>/Library and all machine-specific settings will be in /Library

As applications are generally bundled up in a .app you can drag and drop most applications straight in too, though there are exceptions (generally anything with a dedicated installer such as Office, anti-virus/ VPN clients etc).

The settings themselves are stored as plist files, which are really just XML files (which sometimes will have binary data contained within them).

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I'll have a poke around today and make sure I know what I'm going to be migrating.

arty

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

chex said:
macrumours has a 'new macbook this tuesday' thread every week
That's true.

However, this new rumor seems ledgible as they say it's this Tuesday because it would allow Apple to have these new MBPs ready for use with a back to school program (rather than release at WWDC and have to change models a week in to the B2S program).

Also, It would allow them to concentrate the keynote on Leopard / iPhone :)

Soldato
EVH said:
That's true.

However, this new rumor seems ledgible as they say it's this Tuesday because it would allow Apple to have these new MBPs ready for use with a back to school program (rather than release at WWDC and have to change models a week in to the B2S program).

Also, It would allow them to concentrate the keynote on Leopard / iPhone :)

Yeah, I would see this rumour being more true than the others. Also they had a translation of a French company or something saying they have ordered the new MBP for Tuesdays launch.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

RandomTom said:
I concur! & I'm all for the speculation of a 13" cheaper model too ;) :p
Pfff 13" :p

I hope they don't just update the 15" and leave those who want a 17" to wait a few weeks.. that'd suck.

Suspended
Another quick question on my new macbook adventure...

I want the Samsung SE-S184M External DVDRW - I assume this will work on Mac, despite the pdf manual stating it needs windows?

Also, generally, what do I need to bear in mind in the broadest possible sense with compatibility, etc?

Back
Top Bottom