1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good 2.0 Speakers?

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by AStaley, Aug 3, 2018.

1. AStaley

Wise Guy

I have an aging pair of Creative Labs 2.1 speakers which although they still work perfectly I'm considering if it's time to replace them. I mainly game on my PC, what would be a good set of speakers to get? I don't have a budget set, but don't want to hundreds of £s either.

2. David Flett

Hitman

I bought the Logitech z333 which I think were £50 as a cheap set to get me going. I think there so good I’m not even going to bother changing them.

Without knowing a budget it could be any set, these might come in low budget as it were

3. hornetstinger

Soldato

Wharfedale diamond 9.0 with a t-amp

4. AStaley

Wise Guy

To be honest it's just a bit of a whim at the moment, hence no budget. Probably be prepared to spend up to £150 maybe a little more, thought about some sort of virtual surround system but not sure how effective they are.

5. hornetstinger

Soldato

Nah stick with stereo. Should be able to get good speakers and one hand for £100 with £50 left for amp...I managed to snag £1000 speakers for £150

6. AStaley

Wise Guy

What about the Razor Nommo Chroma speakers, just got a Chroma mouse/keyboard so would go nice with those. Also frees up a little space and gets rid of my sub.

7. hornetstinger

Soldato

No. Just no.

8. AStaley

Wise Guy

Various reviews for them seem to be good, any particular reason for no?

9. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Yamaha NX-50 are decent if you can find them...

10. AStaley

Wise Guy

Saw the T40’s on another site and have to admit I’m very tempted, the do look a good option. And the more I think about it the more I like the idea of getting rid of the extra subwoofer.

11. nicknack35

Wise Guy

You did say you wanted good Speakers? Why on earth you going for rubbish PC speakers? you will never beat a proper set up with Amp or even go for Active if you don't have the room. I have a pair of Ruark MR1 MK2 with a Rel T zero Sub and id never go back to pc speakers if you want decent sound

12. hornetstinger

Soldato

Don't waste your money on pc speakers they're not very good.

13. AStaley

Wise Guy

I'm limited for space at the moment and although the Ruarks and Whalfedales look good I don't really have the space for them, I think I'll pickup a pair of the T40's for now and look at some better speakers down the line when I have room for them.

14. neil_g

Sgarrista

Creative t40ii aren't bad speakers. Had a pair a while back before upgrading.

Mine had a very slight buzz during quiet patches but may just have been the big dent on the corner..

15. IvanDobskey

Soldato

Q acoustics 2020i

16. Marsman

Capodecina

Some time ago another member wanted these, but after getting them he found that they were not that good. I forget who it was, but I remember thinking that I wasn't surprised. Just another gimmcky product in my opinion, particularly the chroma version which adds RGB nonsense. Razer should stick to what they do best.

Much better speakers available for £150, such as; bookshelf speakers + SMSL SA36/SA50 amp, or if you'd prefer to have powered; Edifier R1600T III or Presonus Eris 4.5.

Shame you don't have more space. Creative T40 are OK, but needing speakers with a small footprint is the only reason to get them really. Edifier R1600T III are £10 more and offer a definite increase in quality.

17. hornetstinger

Soldato

Yup..with budget avr or something

18. Ninco!

Gangster

Another vote for the Q Acoustics, paired with a budget/second hand amp. :)

19. billysielu

Sgarrista

T40

20. ramdrive

Gangster

These used to be over £600 when released, very good for gaming and listing to music:-

https://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/kef-x300a-active-bookshelf-speakers

21. AStaley

Wise Guy

Got the T40’s this morning and am returning them. The sound isn’t as good as what I’m currently using, voices in games sounded like they have to much bass. And sounds in general are off, almost as if to much reverb.

If I was looking to splash the cash a bit more and went with active speakers such as the Ruarks do they have to go through a sub or are they good without? And how about connecting them to the PC, would an optical cable be best?