Good 2.0 Speakers?

Associate
OP
I think it’s the games I’ve been trying, playing Wolfenstein 2 the guns sound very flat, this seems to be a criticism of the game. The shotgun in Doom 2016 also sounds weak, remember it being way stronger. Played BF1 for a little while and the weapons and explosions do have much more depth to them. WoW also sounds better.

Overall I think I’m happy with the Ruarks, they are very good speakers for their size. Having had my previous set for so long I think it’s going to take me a little time to acclimatise to these. I’ll be adding a SoundBlaster AE-5 to the mix shortly, interesting to see if that makes a noticeable difference.

Soldato
Got my Ruarks MR1 MK2 connected to the SBZ with an optical cable. So far the sound is okay, still feels a little hollow in game so not sure if I need to change anything. I’m certainly more comfortable with these than the T40’s, music when the volume is turned up is awesome.
Try getting some studio monitor isolation pads from the bay...should be able to find some cheap reasonably price ones for not too much. Should at very least somewhat help with reducing the distortions by having it between the speakers and your desk.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion. If the speakers are sitting on the pads wouldn't that interfere with the bass, looks like it's a cone up the middle of the speaker?

**edit* What about something like, AudioSerenity ISO-9H Gel Isolation Pads?

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion. If the speakers are sitting on the pads wouldn't that interfere with the bass, looks like it's a cone up the middle of the speaker?

**edit* What about something like, AudioSerenity ISO-9H Gel Isolation Pads?
The pads you are suppose to get should have a large surface area than the speakers themselves.

The AudioSerenity ISO-9H Gel Isolation Pads I have not personally used it so I cannot comment, but I think they are more for the use being on a already good solid base/platform (speaker stand), and I'm not sure if it would be enough for reducing the feedback caused by the vibration of your desk.

Soldato
urrghh...no.

Not sure what you mean by urrgh no. Maybe the choice of word?

Hollowness is certainly the wrong choice of word. I used it as well in another tread, so I'm just as culpable. I knew what AStaley was getting at though; basically a lack of bass when playing games, movies too. Of course though, that comes down to expectation and individual preference. I'm sure there are people who use the Ruark's for games and movies and for them, the bass is enough.

Hollowness is really a more fitting description of sound from 2.1 speakers, where there is a disconnection between the output from subwoofer and the output from the satellites; as if there is a hole in the sound, if you like.

I've lost count the amount of times I've seen people ask where the bass is when moving from 2.1 to stereo speakers. I'm not talking about the OP here, just to clarify, but plenty of others. I suppose that's to be expected when so many know so little about the capability of speakers; with some wanting strong bass from small speakers. :p

Associate
The Ruarks don't lack Bass for there size. But that depends on placement the Bass comes from the bottom of the speaker. When i first had the MRK1 version i had mine on a wooden pc desk and never liked the sound that much. But when i placed them on Atacama stands and put them near the wall everything changed. The Ruarks need stands and wall placement will give them a big lift. I had them like that for couple years and the bass i was well happy with for there size. But after getting the REL its gone up another level

Soldato
Not sure what you mean by urrgh no. Maybe the choice of word?

Hollowness is certainly the wrong choice of word. I used it as well in another tread, so I'm just as culpable. I knew what AStaley was getting at though; basically a lack of bass when playing games, movies too. Of course though, that comes down to expectation and individual preference. I'm sure there are people who use the Ruark's for games and movies and for them, the bass is enough.

Hollowness is really a more fitting description of sound from 2.1 speakers, where there is a disconnection between the output from subwoofer and the output from the satellites; as if there is a hole in the sound, if you like.

I've lost count the amount of times I've seen people ask where the bass is when moving from 2.1 to stereo speakers. I'm not talking about the OP here, just to clarify, but plenty of others. I suppose that's to be expected when so many know so little about the capability of speakers; with some wanting strong bass from small speakers. :p
Yea I was referring to use of the wording of "hollowness" being used to describe what's caused by the absence of a sub. May be the feeling of "something's lacking" would be more appropriate.

As I myself have various speakers setup, I can certainly agree that for gaming and action movies in general, stereo/2.0 setup most definitely feel like "there's something missing", particularly in the aspect of immersion and environmental effect. This is the reason why for gaming I prefer to use my Sound Blaster Katana X, whereas for listening to music or watching general Youtube videos I would prefer to use my BX2 or 3010 :p

Associate
I have 2 pairs of studio monitors one is JBL LSR305 and the other one is Mackie MR824 both are great, but if you dont have much space i would choose the JBL or smaller mackies (524/624) since the 824 is pretty huge!

Last edited:
Associate
Yea I was referring to use of the wording of "hollowness" being used to describe what's caused by the absence of a sub. May be the feeling of "something's lacking" would be more appropriate.

Yea that was me, my bad :p

So if I understand it, going from my Z-5500 to Ruarks would sound "lacking" (rather than hollow) as have got used to having a huge sub with them?

Soldato
I wouldn't say the Ruark's are lacking bass for their size, but purely speaking about bass output compared to a subwoofer, then yes I could understand if someone who was used to a subwoofer had the impression the Ruark's or similar speakers lacked bass. Physics though; there's no way speakers with small woofers can hope to compete with a subwoofer when it comes to bass.

Speaking of lacking bass, I've got some 4" Gale satellite speakers. Now they lack bass, but being sealed satellite speakers, they are designed to work with a subwoofer. If they were intended to be stereo hifi speakers, then you'd think, holy ****, I'd get more bass from a smartphone speaker. :p

Going back to the Ruark's; compared to the Z5500's, for sound quality, they would definitely have the upper hand, which is why Marine uses his stereo speakers for music, but a soundbar + subwoofer when gaming.

Soldato
So if I understand it, going from my Z-5500 to Ruarks would sound "lacking" (rather than hollow) as have got used to having a huge sub with them?
To put it simply, the Z-5500 awesome for the price and exceed at what it does: being a great all-rounder entertainment audio system.

It is may be great for movies and gaming with powerful bass and "do well" for music as well, however it will not do music as good as decent bookshelf speakers because of the simple fact that the satellites speakers cannot deliver the same details, clarity and precision as bookshelf speakers for a well-recorded track.

Soldato
25k??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

An audio thread where hornetstinger doesn't recommend someone buy some ridiculously overpriced speakers they have no hope of affording save for a sizeable windfall of cash, wouldn't be worth it's salt. :p

That said, I'm sure he recommends ridiculously overpriced speakers in threads that have bugger all to do with audio as well. He's been a forum member for 2 years and has 5k posts already. Gotta get that post count up somehow. ;)

Back
Top Bottom