• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good card and a ok price but Nv can beat it

Soldato
I mean its good and all that and as good as the best Nv can presently deliver and cheaper than a 295 GTX as well. Crossfire will set you back 600 quid though and surely Nv will have a DX11 part in the next 3-6 months ?

Soldato
OP
Is DX11 a major factor at the moment. Not single game tested as yet is one and its the same old same old really. Second generation DX levels versions only have games to play in any numbers.

Associate
obviously trolling.

i mean cheaper than a 295. you read the trouble they're having with their yields and i didn't think Nvidia were doing DX11?

Why is he trolling? He has got a point.

Many of the expert reviews say basically the same thing - this card is a slight disappointment. A good card but not what everyone was expecting.

The X2 will obviously blow the 295 away but at the moment the 295 is still king of the single card set-up.

The only fair comparison would be to wait for the GTX300 and then compare the benchies.

Don't have a hissy fit just because someone's opinion differs from yours = childish/fanboy.

Last edited:
Associate
But in terms of single gpu cards currently available, it blows away the 285. The 295 is a double gpu set up and as such no next gen will ever blow away the current gen's double gpu card.

Soldato
Why is he trolling? He has got a point.

Many of the expert reviews say basically the same thing - this card is a slight disappointment. A good card but not what everyone was expecting.

The X2 will obviously blow the 295 away but at the moment the 295 is still king of the single card set-up.

The only fair comparison would be to wait for the GTX300 and then compare the benchies.

Don't have a hissy fit just because someone's opinion differs from yours = childish/fanboy.

welcome back badger

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

@ cosmogenesis - what card are you talking about? You haven't mentioned a model number in your post.

Associate
He does have a point but only the most optimistic expected the 5870 to blow the 295 out of the water most expected near as performance and thats what we have. Ramp up the settings and the 5870 can beat the 295 in a few games so not the big disappointment some are making out. Yes nvidia will beat this when they get gt3xx out the door and so they bloody should it will be a good few months away and if they can't beat this first gen dx11 card then they have major problems.

But they will be releasing about the time ati will be releasing the refresh of this card and i expect them to wait till nvidia do their launch. This card was never going to be a magical upgrade if you had a high end current gen card but most don't and this is a worthwhile upgrade for many so a bit of realism wouldn't hurt would it.

Also squirrel that last post of your s was completely uncalled for and says so much more about you then anyone else in this thread so please go and grow up and then come back with something worth saying and do us all including yourself a favour.

Soldato
He does have a point but only the most optimistic expected the 5870 to blow the 295 out of the water most expected near as performance and thats what we have. Ramp up the settings and the 5870 can beat the 295 in a few games so not the big disappointment some are making out. Yes nvidia will beat this when they get gt3xx out the door and so they bloody should it will be a good few months away and if they can't beat this first gen dx11 card then they have major problems.

But they will be releasing about the time ati will be releasing the refresh of this card and i expect them to wait till nvidia do their launch. This card was never going to be a magical upgrade if you had a high end current gen card but most don't and this is a worthwhile upgrade for many so a bit of realism wouldn't hurt would it.

Also squirrel that last post of your s was completely uncalled for and says so much more about you then anyone else in this thread so please go and grow up and then come back with something worth saying and do us all including yourself a favour.

a lot of people were hoping it would blow the 295 away but to push it close like it does is very good considering it's a single gpu.

The 300 series which nvidia are producing i don't know much about what kind of performance we can expect. will it blow the 5870 away?

but currently i have two heaters in the shape of 4870's by my feet and the upgrade to a single, less power hungry but similar gaming power is very tempting.

As for being a fanboy these 4870's are the first ATI i've ever owned. had 3 Nvidia before :D

Soldato
OP
A single card is as good as a 4870 x2 whihc if good in many repects but with 2.15 billion transisters compared to some 800 million on a single 4870 then that is a lot of DX11 you are paying for but not using although with some Dx10 gain which is good in places.

Its a DX10 part with a load 1.3 billion potenitally wasted trannies but I am sure we will all play DiRT2 because its all there is. OK better AA/AF but it needs games to be here and not just the card.

My complaint is not about the card per se but its only useful for games and no games take advantage of alll but the DX10 part of the game, faster RAM and higher core speeds with some additional wizardry in the core.

Its probably worth £300 to some but there is no DX11 game or other part to compare it to so its just DX10 games that everyone has played or is playing fine on their Dx10 cards presently.

Associate
So far all ATI have over Nvidia is DX11 apartly the GF295s are still top of the single card market but will have to see.

Just might aswell ask thish ere instead of in a seperate thread what do ATI and nvida have different what do ou have on 1 and not other

For example you with NV you get Pysx, 3d (which i dont care about)
wile ATI got cross fire which means you dont have to buy 2 of the same card ?. otherwise what els does ATI have that nividia dont ? because i see pysx as a possibility to wait for Nvidia aswell as ive always used NV and they seem to be slightly more reliable when it comes to patches and stuff tho i cant fulyl say this as i may compaire to old novidia.

Back
Top Bottom