Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Is that £169.99 then £100 off?

Sorry just seen your post about the over seas, cheapest I can see is £205 then £100 off.

There is at least one place doing them for £198 inc VAT and do the cashback. That's for the 2GB/250GB version. They also do the 4GB/no HD version but that's like £200+VAT!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
There is at least one place doing them for £198 inc VAT and do the cashback. That's for the 2GB/250GB version. They also do the 4GB/no HD version but that's like £200+VAT!

That's a good price. I paid £209, then £100 cash back. FYI, the 4GB model is not eligible for cash back.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Argh.. so I estimate an N40L + graphics card + 8GB memory + DVB-S2 or DVB-T2 card would come to around £223.

So this begs the question, do I just convert my current PC (E2180/4GB memory which is on 24/7 anyway) into a server and build a new cheap-ish i5 build instead, for around £300.

My plan would be to run a server OS on it as run it as an AD server / file server / media PC (XBMC + recorder) / backup box.

Decisions :/.

Soldato
Prob getting one of these whats best software for them?

Got a copy of win7 pro and whs 11 unused

After using it for downloads and media storage! Also can I turn off raid and just have 4 separate discs show up?

Lastly I wish to dump under stair and use laptop/desktop to remotely control etc what best software for this?

Soldato
Prob getting one of these whats best software for them?

Got a copy of win7 pro and whs 11 unused

After using it for downloads and media storage! Also can I turn off raid and just have 4 separate discs show up?

Lastly I wish to dump under stair and use laptop/desktop to remotely control etc what best software for this?

I just use Remote Desktop with WHS2011 , perfect on the home network

AD

Soldato
Unraid on mine, purely as a media server streaming to a HTPC under my TV. Use Putty to get into it and the web console.

You can install W7 W8 etc and just have 4 drives without RAID yes.

Soldato
Don't know about everyone else, but im using Team viewer on all my home and work PC's at the moment.

I used to use that, but it was very irritating on the HTPC. Since when you end a session with Teamviewer, it puts that pop up in the middle of the screen, which the non-technical family members can never figure out how to remove with the remote.

I've switched to the Google Chrome Remote Desktop extension. Works brilliantly.

I plan to run Ubuntu 12.10 on mine, then using a mixture of Samba and AFP for sharing out to Windows and OSX clients for file/backup serving duties.

Then planing to rebuild HTPC/download server functions on to this using XBMC, SabNZBd etc.

Control via SSH, and and MCE remote. :)

Back
Top Bottom