Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Hi all, does anyone use their Microserver running Windows for media playback?

Mine has a Geforce 210, ran 1080p flawless on Linux, but for the first time since I installed Windows Server 2008 R2, today I ran a 1080p movie on it earlier, and the audio kept losing sync with the video. Can't work out why.

Associate
Hi all, does anyone use their Microserver running Windows for media playback?

Mine has a Geforce 210, ran 1080p flawless on Linux, but for the first time since I installed Windows Server 2008 R2, today I ran a 1080p movie on it earlier, and the audio kept losing sync with the video. Can't work out why.

from experience, I would stick with Windows 7 or 8 for htpc use.

Soldato
Guys is the N40L still the best and cheapest way for a Nas setup?

Im looking to run 3 x 3TB Reds and the 250GB as an OS drive (or remove if not needed)

I just want to use it as a storage device will all my MKV rips, and be able to stream from it over a network. Also want to be able to download direct to it (instead of to PC then transfer to it), not sure if i should install bittorrent/newsgroup client on it or on a PC, which saves to the HP Microserver (if thats possible) Server and PC will be next to each other under telly. (SFF PC)

Not experienced with nas or servers, so anything i need to know or buy?

Last edited:
Don't understand this - if you go and enable raid in the main BIOS you can set up the array when the BIOS gets to the onboard raid setup during boot? It was certainly presented as an array during my ESX install.

Sadly not the case with Ubuntu. The Ubuntu installer sees the drives as individuals, so I had to use software raid to setup the mirror.

Works fine though, so can't complain.

Soldato
Guys is the N40L still the best and cheapest way for a Nas setup?

Im looking to run 3 x 3TB Reds and the 250GB as an OS drive (or remove if not needed)

I just want to use it as a storage device will all my MKV rips, and be able to stream from it over a network. Also want to be able to download direct to it (instead of to PC then transfer to it), not sure if i should install bittorrent/newsgroup client on it or on a PC, which saves to the HP Microserver (if thats possible) Server and PC will be next to each other under telly. (SFF PC)

Not experienced with nas or servers, so anything i need to know or buy?

This is a tricky question. I would like to reply with a question to you. Are you wanting something that works, or something to tinker with?

A cheap 4 bay NAS box is a lot less hassle to set up. If an HDD dies, it is simple to fix and you can add drives as you go. All without even switching the NAS off. Everything you want can be done with a NAS box and they aren't far off the price. (A 4-bay ReadyNAS NV+ v2 can be got for £160 and are great for the money.)

On the other hand, if you want to tinker, you can get 6 drives into an N40L, you can run a VM server on it or do loads more besides. Way more powerful and very cool.

I have both and for good reason.

CD

Associate
Both a NAS and the NL40 will do what you want them to do. The only difference is how much input they need to get there.

As Caustic says, if you want something you can get up and running in 5 minutes, buy a NAS. If you want something cheaper but which requires you learn how to set it all up then go for the Microserver.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I went for the N40L over a Qnap, mainly due to price, but also due to flexibility of the HP, the QNAP 212 that I had, was a nice looking bit of kit, but throw anything complicated at it and it struggles (just getting it to scan pics over a network etc).

Ive got the HP setup as a media centre with TV card etc and backup device and quite honestly its not taken me long to get there at all, if you know windows, its a doddle.

Im just going to add som ip cams to mine and thats it, its done

Associate
Just an update to my post about my P410 not working in the Microserver.

Just got a new one from HP and it works with the FBWC, so looks like someone on "a website that Weird Al made a parody about" tried to sell me a duff card.

Thanks to HP for sending me out rather expensive replacements and trusting that i wasn't going to run off with them, at least i know that if i have a problem with my microservers, they will send the bits out instantly without charge to me.

Yet another good reason to buy one, epic after sales support :).

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a tricky question. I would like to reply with a question to you. Are you wanting something that works, or something to tinker with?

A cheap 4 bay NAS box is a lot less hassle to set up. If an HDD dies, it is simple to fix and you can add drives as you go. All without even switching the NAS off. Everything you want can be done with a NAS box and they aren't far off the price. (A 4-bay ReadyNAS NV+ v2 can be got for £160 and are great for the money.)

On the other hand, if you want to tinker, you can get 6 drives into an N40L, you can run a VM server on it or do loads more besides. Way more powerful and very cool.

I have both and for good reason.

CD

Both a NAS and the NL40 will do what you want them to do. The only difference is how much input they need to get there.

As Caustic says, if you want something you can get up and running in 5 minutes, buy a NAS. If you want something cheaper but which requires you learn how to set it all up then go for the Microserver.

Just want something that works really, would like to have it headless (without the need for a monitor), cant see my self tinkering with as will be in the living room.

I doubt i'd ever need more that 3-4 drives, only reason i was thinking about the N40L because its cheap @ £100 and ive read that its much faster like 80MB/s compared to a Nas @ around 8-12MB/s. Lol not even sure that will effect me for my needs.

I just need something to accomadate 3x3TB reds. One with movies, one with TV shows and other media.

Would like to be able to download direct to it, saving the hassle of downloading to PC then transfering to nas box. I have a SSF (main PC) connected to TV and will have either a WD Live / RP PI connected to other TV in other room, along with a few laptop and tablets around the house.

Edit: Will be dealing with large rips 30GB-50GB MKV files.

Last edited:
Associate
Just an update to my post about my P410 not working in the Microserver.

Just got a new one from HP and it works with the FBWC, so looks like someone on "a website that Weird Al made a parody about" tried to sell me a duff card.

Thanks to HP for sending me out rather expensive replacements and trusting that i wasn't going to run off with them, at least i know that if i have a problem with my microservers, they will send the bits out instantly without charge to me.

Yet another good reason to buy one, epic after sales support :).

Nice to hear some positive feedback about HP! :)

Soldato
Just want something that works really, would like to have it headless (without the need for a monitor), cant see my self tinkering with as will be in the living room.

I doubt i'd ever need more that 3-4 drives, only reason i was thinking about the N40L because its cheap @ £100 and ive read that its much faster like 80MB/s compared to a Nas @ around 8-12MB/s. Lol not even sure that will effect me for my needs.

I just need something to accomadate 3x3TB reds. One with movies, one with TV shows and other media.

Would like to be able to download direct to it, saving the hassle of downloading to PC then transfering to nas box. I have a SSF (main PC) connected to TV and will have either a WD Live / RP PI connected to other TV in other room, along with a few laptop and tablets around the house.

Edit: Will be dealing with large rips 30GB-50GB MKV files.

Right, I would personally suggest a NAS. Because:

- 4 Bays, £150.
- Always headless, even during setup.
- NAS boxes will easily get 40MB/s. Large file sizes are no issue.
- All storage is one big pool by default with redundancy.
- Addons can be installed to add Sickbeard, SABnzbd, Torrent etc.
- Start with one drive, add more as you go, without even switching the thing off or interupting your TV watching!

Not saying you couldn't do all that with a MicroServer, but it would be far more hassle!

CD

Soldato
I've had a fair few NAS boxes but th you cant beat the N40L with WHS on it, backs up machines, runs Vuse, RDP and a domain name so you can remote in from elsewhere to do stuff..

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Right, I would personally suggest a NAS. Because:

- 4 Bays, £150.
- Always headless, even during setup.
- NAS boxes will easily get 40MB/s. Large file sizes are no issue.
- All storage is one big pool by default with redundancy.
- Addons can be installed to add Sickbeard, SABnzbd, Torrent etc.
- Start with one drive, add more as you go, without even switching the thing off or interupting your TV watching!

Not saying you couldn't do all that with a MicroServer, but it would be far more hassle!

CD

I dont think you could add other drives in my old qnap 212 on the fly. And that was 130 to buy and it and only a 2 bay unit.

Associate
How are people finding the performance on these for use as a ESXi testbed? I know a lot of people are using these for this exact purpose, but interested if the 1.5Ghz dual core CPU is up to the job.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom