Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Thanks but I have no idea what I'm doing when I load FreeDOS, tried changing directory but it doesn't work.

Edit - following the very simple instructions on the link you provided seems to have done it.

Edit 2 - SSD installed. These speeds seem OK for SATA 2? Thanks rotor, followed the instructions in the link instead. Extremely easy. Only issue I had was W8 hanging on "getting devices ready", ended up removing the other hard drives and that seemed to work.

2w3weo4.jpg

SSD is a 128GB Plextor PX-128M5S
Glad you got it working.

Run AS SSD (benchmarking tool), and look in the top-right corner. It should say AHCI (e.g. msahci), and a green number with OK next to it (this means the partition is correctly aligned for maximum performance).

http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads/images/as-ssd-bench1.png

Edit: I meant Top LEFT corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I can't remember if this can accomodate a full size, legacy PCI card, any ideas please folks? I already have a half height PCI-e graphics card in mine but I could give this up if needed to house this full size PCI card I have?

Caporegime
Any one tried playing games on the N54L. My housemate is keen to get Fifa 14 on; on paper it looks fine but wondered if it differs in the real world.

1GB 6450, 8GB RAM and an SSD.

Caporegime
Can't imagine this wouldn't be okay, can't hurt to try!

Any joy with that fan? ;)

Hahaha, not quite. Spending the next few nights with my GF and the flat mates have been using the machine for XBMC. Sunday is looking good. I was meaning to ask, do I have to leave the machine unplugged for a few hours beforehand as I am dealing with the PSU?

Soldato
Hahaha, not quite. Spending the next few nights with my GF and the flat mates have been using the machine for XBMC. Sunday is looking good. I was meaning to ask, do I have to leave the machine unplugged for a few hours beforehand as I am dealing with the PSU?

Not a clue... I get what you're thinking though - if the PSU has any big capacitors inside then you don't want to be brushing your fingers up against them if they're holding any charge... However I can't imagine why they would be designed to hold any significant charge once the power to the system is completely disconnected - I'd be curious to hear an answer to this from someone who knows what they're talking about though :rolleyes:

Associate
Not a clue... I get what you're thinking though - if the PSU has any big capacitors inside then you don't want to be brushing your fingers up against them if they're holding any charge... However I can't imagine why they would be designed to hold any significant charge once the power to the system is completely disconnected - I'd be curious to hear an answer to this from someone who knows what they're talking about though :rolleyes:

Unplug it from mains and then press and hold the power button on the case for a few seconds. It'll discharge all the caps in the system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom