Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I love how Xpenology "just works" despite being a huge techy (when I'm running something headless and am limited to a web GUI I much prefer simplicity), and I got put off by other options given how hungry ZFS can be on resources.

My next server will be a custom build, but I'll pick the hardware to ensure Xpenology support, I'm that keen to keep it.

Associate
Yep I was looking to move from xpenology to win10 for some windows only programs but I've decided to keep it now, its reliable expandable and well supported(??) sticking to ext4 tho, as being able to read HDD;s under windows is highly desirable. (not btrfs)

Soldato
I'm struggling to find a 2nd hand Gen 8 machine and so might just end up going for a new one with the cashback option but I'm wanting to upgrade the CPU to something a bit zippier! (I'm assuming that a better CPU will just make everything run quicker as well as needing circa 2k passmark per 1080 stream in Plex?)

What is the best bang for buck CPU upgrade to the Gen 8 machine without having to worry about changing the cooling options? I've read that the i5-2390T is the "best" you can upgrade to without having to worry about the increased heat output - but I can't seem to find this for sale outside of Ebay/USA!?!?

Any advice is appreciated!

Associate
I'm struggling to find a 2nd hand Gen 8 machine and so might just end up going for a new one with the cashback option but I'm wanting to upgrade the CPU to something a bit zippier! (I'm assuming that a better CPU will just make everything run quicker as well as needing circa 2k passmark per 1080 stream in Plex?)

What is the best bang for buck CPU upgrade to the Gen 8 machine without having to worry about changing the cooling options? I've read that the i5-2390T is the "best" you can upgrade to without having to worry about the increased heat output - but I can't seem to find this for sale outside of Ebay/USA!?!?

Any advice is appreciated!

I sourced one off ebay UK for £30 recently, just keep your eye out. Also last time I looked cex had these for a similar price used

Soldato
Haha funny enough I have just hit an issue with my old N54L. I want to install Server 2012/2016 on it but it's having issues with the NIC and freezing. Apparently it's an issue which was fixed by a BIOS update by HP and "Tobi?" put together an updated hacked BIOS from it. Only problem is I can't seem to find it. I don't suppose anyone has this saved which I could grab. Trying to set up a lab for my MCSE exam!

GDL

GDL

Associate
Haha funny enough I have just hit an issue with my old N54L. I want to install Server 2012/2016 on it but it's having issues with the NIC and freezing. Apparently it's an issue which was fixed by a BIOS update by HP and "Tobi?" put together an updated hacked BIOS from it. Only problem is I can't seem to find it. I don't suppose anyone has this saved which I could grab. Trying to set up a lab for my MCSE exam!

http://blog.chrispomfret.com/2013/0...-guide-allow-hot-plug-sata-and-5th-sata-port/

Associate
nice to see them adding the cashback so early.

Anyone got a Gen10 here? Any good?
Funny enough, ordered one last week so missed the cashback
First impressions, it is slightly quieter then my Gen8 not that it was loud but side by side I notice quieter and I like they've removed the hd caddy option.
Will update later, just got round to first timer of unraid trial so that's happening this weekend.

Associate
If anyone decides to upgrade the stock CPU I can confirm that the i5-3470T does indeed work fine in the HPE branded SKUs without additional bios changes needed.

There are reports of it been funny with the HP RAM so I paired it with some Crucial 1600 ECC and all is well.

Associate
Looking into both models at the moment(gen8 and gen10). Cant decide which to get, looking for a NAS server to replace my zyxel nsa325. Still thinking about which os to choose for a nas. Xpenology looks nice and easy to set up. As far as i know it works better with gen8, because of intel setup. Price difference with cashback between entry models is only ~£25. But gen10 out of the box has 2x faster CPU and 2x more RAM. Any recomendations?

GDL

GDL

Associate
If it's just a NAS, Gen8.
You won't be bothered by the RAM limitation and you can upgrade the CPU if required.

Back
Top Bottom