Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
WD RED & GREEN

Just a quick question, I am about to push the button on some 3TB drives.

My use would be either as a media server for my movie collection and as a onsite backup from my other machines (prob use Crashplan to then offsite)

or possibly in the future used as a media centre connected direct to my TV, still with Media onboard.

I don't plan on using RAID, and will backup where necessary.

Now to the question:
Looking at WD RED & GREEN drives they are around the same price, which should I get??

Not going to be serving media 24/7, not heavy use, and would like to be cheap to run and quiet.

RED and GREEN both seem to be suitable?

Will run WHS 2011.

Thanks in a advance.

Steve

Just a quick question, I am about to push the button on some 3TB drives.

My use would be either as a media server for my movie collection and as a onsite backup from my other machines (prob use Crashplan to then offsite)

or possibly in the future used as a media centre connected direct to my TV, still with Media onboard.

I don't plan on using RAID, and will backup where necessary.

Now to the question:
Looking at WD RED & GREEN drives they are around the same price, which should I get??

Not going to be serving media 24/7, not heavy use, and would like to be cheap to run and quiet.

RED and GREEN both seem to be suitable?

Will run WHS 2011.

Thanks in a advance.

Steve

Is the machine going to be on 24/7? i.e the drives spinning constantly?

I've gone for 3TB reds as this machine is going to be a download box, file server and XBMC machine on 24/7 for access and backups.

Associate
Is the machine going to be on 24/7? i.e the drives spinning constantly?

I've gone for 3TB reds as this machine is going to be a download box, file server and XBMC machine on 24/7 for access and backups.

I can't think it would be all the time, when backing up it could be, but would probably powerdown most nights, but be on during the day for access.

Associate
I can't really think of a downside to the Reds. They are more or less better in every way.

Thats good, most of the info I found seemed to say that REDs were great for NAS/Server, but always assumed that it would be in somekind of RAID configuration, which mine won't be.

I was tempted by the Greens for their Power consumption and noise, but if the Reds are about the same, then why not!

Thanks for you assistance people.

Steve

Soldato
Can anyone help?

Just got a N40L, it wouldn't boot from a bootable USB Windows installer, so I turned of, plugged in an external DVD drive, now it won't boot at all. It just turns on with the Power light going green, but none of the activity lights, light up at all.

Associate
Has anyone installed the HP TPM module, part number 488069-B21? I'm running WHS 2011, and I want to enable BitLocker on all my drives. The module seems to go for ~£30, although I'm debating whether the benefits are worth it (to me). (I mean, I'll still enable BitLocker, but I'll just use a USB stick for the keys.)

Soldato
How is this box for transcoding files? at the moment i have a linkstation (flashed) + full tower power hungry doing the job but was looking to one of these to save on some energy bills :)

I was going to consolidate the following services
Linkstation - online 24/7 as its low power
File Server
Usenet + Sick Beard + Couch Potatoe
Torrents
Web Server
SSH tunnel to my network
Twonky Media Server

C2D PC with 8Gb RAM - wakes up when required
Twonky Media Server - transcodes files so they are playable on PS3 and BluRay
Hyper-V - VM running DC and SQL for my dev domain
Backup box for the above

My new plan was to consolidate all the services into the HP Proliant and leave it 24/7 and used the linkstation as a pure backup box

Last edited:
Soldato
I would be surprised if it is up to transcoding. I guess it depends upon how much can be handed off to a GPU, as the CPU in these machines is not amazing. A C2D would be quite a bit faster.

CD

Soldato
Hmmm this transcoding info is interesting to me as I'm in a similar situation to Chronictank, I have loads of media on my Main PC which has serviio running and transcoding so I can view files on an old Xboc running XBMC.

I have a profile setup for the xbox which makes serviio transcode everything to mpeg which the xbox can handle and it works great but means I have to have my rather powerhungry pc running to use it.

I too would like to switch this job out to a microserver which I can leave on 24/7.

Soldato
if you could that would be ace!!!

If I get a chance this evening, I'll post up the profile I have setup for the xbox that transcodes everything to mpeg, if that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom