Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Thanks for your help, it works with my laptop, but I now see that as that is a usb/esata port it is powered by the usb power of the port.

Any idea if there is a solution where I could attach the goflex drives via esata with power, the drive docks I see would not take the Goflex cases, and if I remove them from the cases I couldn't use them elsewhere.

I might just get this:
USB3 & sata card
then I could use the USB3 adaptor for the drives, plus I get extra sata connections, not that I'm sure what I could do with them!!

Thanks

Steve

You can get cables with eSATAp on one end and standard eSATA + USB on the other, but they all use male plugs (AFAIK). I'd guess that the cable on the drive isn't detachable?

Adding a couple of USB3.0 ports is probably the simplest option.

Associate
You can get cables with eSATAp on one end and standard eSATA + USB on the other, but they all use male plugs (AFAIK). I'd guess that the cable on the drive isn't detachable?

Adding a couple of USB3.0 ports is probably the simplest option.

Ah I see what you mean, esatap isn't very well supported, at least USB3 is current where esata for portable drives seem to be disappearing.
Thanks.

Steve

Soldato
Ah I see what you mean, esatap isn't very well supported, at least USB3 is current where esata for portable drives seem to be disappearing.
Thanks.

Steve

If you hunt around there are adapter cards that have combined USB3/eSATAp ports in the same way laptops often do. Probably a bit pricey though.

Soldato
Anyone got a good cheap source for UK supplied HP authorised stock? It seems many UK dealers are now selling grey imports and then finding out after HP decline cashback to the buyers. Trust/Email-in-sig and LMK please...

Soldato
Afraid the site I used no longer offer cashback on it :(

Seems I can find only 2 places with eligible stock. One is here and one is well known and recently decided to gouge the buyer by raising price to £259.98.

I suspect that HP are finally running down and switching to N54L with cashback (hints from their CB company) but the price will rise significantly. :(

Associate
Seems I can find only 2 places with eligible stock. One is here and one is well known and recently decided to gouge the buyer by raising price to £259.98.

I suspect that HP are finally running down and switching to N54L with cashback (hints from their CB company) but the price will rise significantly. :(

OUCH - the site I got mine from only last week, seems to have added £50 to the price now...

BTW, anyone know the HP email address I can send the cashback claim to rather then sending it by slow post?

cheers

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
You guys are fantastic, cheers. :)

I know it's not a proper server, but it works pretty well. I'm guessing the Microserver would be much better on electricity but I can't be sure by how much.

Eventually my ideal setup will be something like a microserver as a backup server, and then an ML110 G7 (or the current/future equivilant) as a main server. Just need to decide what order to buy things in now! At first I was thinking of getting the Microserver and running that as my main server, and downgrading my current home-brewed server to a backup server. Looks like I'd be better off getting the ML110 equivilant first though, using the current server as a backup server and later upgrading that to a Microserver.

Associate
You guys are fantastic, cheers. :)

I know it's not a proper server, but it works pretty well. I'm guessing the Microserver would be much better on electricity but I can't be sure by how much.

Eventually my ideal setup will be something like a microserver as a backup server, and then an ML110 G7 (or the current/future equivilant) as a main server. Just need to decide what order to buy things in now! At first I was thinking of getting the Microserver and running that as my main server, and downgrading my current home-brewed server to a backup server. Looks like I'd be better off getting the ML110 equivilant first though, using the current server as a backup server and later upgrading that to a Microserver.

well that depends on how long the n40l remains available for? its selling fast and stores are upping the price AND the cashback offer may not be on when you finally do get one making it a lot less attractive purchase

Soldato
Is there a new version on the way? I don't mind whether it's an N40L or the latest equivalent. The cashback offer will probably keep appearing on various things as time goes on I guess.

Back
Top Bottom