Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Associate
It's out now the HP Microserver N54L (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/e...16-4237917-4237917-4248009-5336624.html?dnr=1) sadly the only upgrade is the slightly faster CPU 2.2Ghz against NL40L's 1.5Ghz CPU and I don't think there is any cashback on the N54L yet.

No cashback offer ive seen and a price tag of about £290 - not worth it even with cashback. I could (and nearly did) build an awesome powerhouse server with all the bells and whistles for that price

Soldato
No cashback offer ive seen and a price tag of about £290 - not worth it even with cashback. I could (and nearly did) build an awesome powerhouse server with all the bells and whistles for that price

They were available for £80 after cashback for a brief period early this week. Regret not getting one now as they soon went up to £120

Associate
Turns out mine has come with 3GB Ram.. Anyone else got this? (Apart from Upgrade)

3gb? Assume this is 2gb + 1gb

Recently got mine and updated the ram straight away, installed win server 2008 but am tempted by whs 2011 ,just because its more suited to my needs.

Also tempted by amahi though.....decisions

Soldato
Cheapest I've seen these for now is £130. I'd quite like one but I can't stretch to £130 when they were going for £80-90 just a week or so ago, especially when I'd still need HDDs on top of that.

Soldato
3gb? Assume this is 2gb + 1gb

Recently got mine and updated the ram straight away, installed win server 2008 but am tempted by whs 2011 ,just because its more suited to my needs.

Also tempted by amahi though.....decisions

No idea, I just went into the Control Panel, System - Showing 3gb Ram...

Do you think WHS 2011 is better for my needs rather than Server 2012?

Associate
I used 2011 due to just having my desktop and laptop on win 7. Using serviio on a trial at the mo and using using lights out for power control. Still very tempted to try amahi ....

Soldato
Wouldn't be valid anyway, it has to be from an HP authorised retailer. Lots of people have been getting stung by buying from other places. Even a few retailers advertising the cashback as valid when HP have then said it isn't.

Soldato
Server 2012 Drivers

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the storage drivers for Server 2012, at the moment they are all generic ones

I tried the Server 2008 R2 ones but with little success

servermissingdrivers.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a good one for you...

Anyone got their microserver next to their wifi router? With my N40L switched on, my wifi upstairs goes mental. Speedtest is uber erratic, pings dropped and all sorts.

Switch the Microserver off, speeds stabilise and return to normal. Massive bummer, as my broadband is plugged in next to the telly where the N40L lives serving out XBMC.

Just spoke to an N40L owning friend who had exactly the same thing on his setup at home, ended up getting homeplugs to get around the issue. Nuts.

Soldato
Im trying to transfer 12gb of data from my HTPC to my N40L and its showing 2 hrs! Cant understand why? Running on a Gigabit network from my WD 7200rpm HTPC HD to another WD 7200rpm Cavier Green HD :(

I copied the folder from my desktop machine which has all the HTPC drives networked then pasted it over Remote Desktop to my N40L server

EDIT

Just transfered 5gb of data to the N40L this time just opening the server network shares from my desktop machine instead of doing it over RDP and seemed to be a bit better. It was transfering at around 57-60 MB/second. My HTPC is only Sata II and i believe the N40L is the same

Last edited:
Soldato
I have yeah, very odd.

Just wondering if doing the PicoPSU mod is going to help this. I presume it would as the only thing I can think of in there with enough clout to affect wifi is the PSU...?

Possible router issue, rather than PC?

I have min on my desk with my cisco e3200 on top, cable modem behind and a 32" Samsung TV next to it... no problems with WIFI at all... Running Notebook and Lounge TV on 5ghz, everything else runs 2.4ghz.

Associate
Guys, I need some BIOS/boot help. Every time I insert a new USB device, the MicroServer automatically configures itself to boot from this device. When this fails (because they're non-boot drives or just memory sticks or whatever), the machine does not continue to boot; it just stops dead. :(

How can I stop this behaviour? I can't see anything in the BIOS to turn this off. But it's starting to cause me serious problems. (e.g., a new device has been added, then the machine reboots after updates or from a remote session, but it doesn't come back up, and cannot until I'm physically back with the machine.) Thanks.

EDIT: I think I just spotted the one: "USB Boot Priority" was set to high. Oops! Hopefully this means it won't reconfigure itself every time now. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom