Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
After the previous page of you trying to argue pirating DSM (and presumably windows and almost everything else) was OK because it incorporated GPL code, forgive me if I ask if you’ve come to your senses yet?

It’ll work with any capacity drive available now or for many years to come on a hardware level, unfortunately the issue is it’s woefully underpowered to do anything other than basic NAS functions at this stage and can’t saturate a gigabit link. We’re at the point where your average smart phone has more CPU power and it’s been that way for a good few years now. Also, not really efficient, but then again it’s a decade old.

Thats odd my n40l easy saturates gigabit network speed when copying files to and from it as windows network shared folder/drive.
Id be using it work storing backup images so it would be powered on for a few hours one day a month.
As for the gpl malarkey iv slept many nights since then so got no clue wot that was about, what was that 2 or 3 years ago?

Soldato
Thats odd my n40l easy saturates gigabit network speed when copying files to and from it as windows network shared folder/drive.
Id be using it work storing backup images so it would be powered on for a few hours one day a month.
As for the gpl malarkey iv slept many nights since then so got no clue wot that was about, what was that 2 or 3 years ago?

Easily saturate gigabit? Interesting given it lacks hardware support for jumbo frames on the onboard NIC that are realistically required to do so.

As to the rest, if by 2-3 years ago, you mean 8 months ago you claimed in this very thread that it was OK to pirate DSM because it used elements of code published under GPL etc. - like almost every commercial software/OS - then it’s understandable that you’ve tried to block out such utter stupidity, allow me to refresh your memory….

… dsm is built on open source software so if Synology didnt rip that source in the first place for commercial use then they cant complain about others like xpenology ripping them.
You cant claim piracy to open source software since its free in the first place. If they have a issue with it then they should go closed source and develop something from the ground up without relying on open source code. Only then can they complain if someone pirates it.
Guess your too dumb to understand how open source works so post all the fud you want. You dont seem to comprehend the the meaning of free to use code.
No matter what you believe you cant copyright someone elses work thats been handed out for free and claim it for your own use and then cry about it when someone else does the same to you.

Please tell me you’ve realised openly stealing DSM just because it happens to include elements of GPL code is not only stealing and against forum rules, but shows a complete lack of understanding of how licensing works.

Soldato
Easily saturate gigabit? Interesting given it lacks hardware support for jumbo frames on the onboard NIC that are realistically required to do so.

it does it for me, i copy file from shared drive on micro server to my main pc and it sustains 100 megabytes per second. if you cant get that working then maybe you got issues with your configuration?

Soldato

As to the rest, if by 2-3 years ago, you mean 8 months ago you claimed in this very thread that it was OK to pirate DSM because it used elements of code published under GPL etc. - like almost every commercial software/OS - then it’s understandable that you’ve tried to block out such utter stupidity, allow me to refresh your memory….

Please tell me you’ve realised openly stealing DSM just because it happens to include elements of GPL code is not only stealing and against forum rules, but shows a complete lack of understanding of how licensing works.

Ha, want to earn a few quid? I've got my Microsoft licencing renewal next month. Want to tell me how I'm abusing CALs and open value licences before the auditors get me :p

Soldato
as long as your using drives that can hit 100MBps+ on inner part of platter then you can max out gigabit lan all the time with large files. only time iv seen lower speed is when i was copying over a folder with thousands of small files most under 16kb big.

Soldato
Someone has donated their unwanted Gen 8 HP Microserver to me.

How would this compare to my current NAS setup?
I have a supermicro x9sae in a server chassis,
I would need to buy some new larger drives as my current chassis can hold 10+ drives in it, but the compact size of the HP would make it much easier to hide somewhere in the house

Don
Someone has donated their unwanted Gen 8 HP Microserver to me.

How would this compare to my current NAS setup?
I have a supermicro x9sae in a server chassis,
It's basically the same hardware you have but in a smaller form factor.

It use the same generation of Intel processors (Socket 1155 - Xeon v2), possibly the same memory (Gen 8 HP takes ECC Unbuffered DDR3, Supermicro takes either Non-ECC or ECC depending on installed CPU)

Soldato
It's basically the same hardware you have but in a smaller form factor.

It use the same generation of Intel processors (Socket 1155 - Xeon v2), possibly the same memory (Gen 8 HP takes ECC Unbuffered DDR3, Supermicro takes either Non-ECC or ECC depending on installed CPU)

I have ECC in the Super Micro board, so I could just take that out and put it in the microserver if I decided to go that route.
The only real reason for the swap would be due to the size,
Can't really find anywhere sensible to put the current NAS, unless I chuck it in the loft and then deal with the problems that will bring.

Soldato
I have ECC in the Super Micro board, so I could just take that out and put it in the microserver if I decided to go that route.
The only real reason for the swap would be due to the size,
Can't really find anywhere sensible to put the current NAS, unless I chuck it in the loft and then deal with the problems that will bring.
Careful, there is unbuffered and buffered ECC.

As @Armageus mentioned, the Gen8 Microserver only likes the unbuffered.

I think buffered ECC is much more common, I had to send 2 back to sellers on ebay who had advertised it incorrectly before finally getting a stick of unbuffered ECC as required.

Back
Top Bottom