• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good chose of upgrade from 980Ti

Associate
As the title says, i'm looking at upgrading my Zotac 980Ti which i bought when they were first released so its a little long in the tooth now.
I have looked at the 3070FE and 3060 ti's as ive around £500 to spend but cant make up my mind to which to chose. I wanna go down the Nvidia route as i have a G-Sync monitor (Acer XB270HU).
I game at 2560 * 1440 and play games like Battlefield, Hitman 3 mostly, what would be a good upgrade from the 980 ti.
Thanks for all and any help i receive.

Associate
I'd hold off for a few months. That 980 ti is still holding its own, and £500 in October will likely get you a lot more bang for your buck than now due to the next gen cards coming later this year.

Also, you shouldn't limit yourself to nV: that monitor does Freesync just as well as Gsync.

Associate
If you're determined to buy now the 3070 FE is a pretty good deal right now, and a large performance jump over the 980ti. But as above if you can hold on for a little while the new stuff is due end of the summer and god willing it wont be the cluster F the 3000 series launch was

Soldato
Also, you shouldn't limit yourself to nV: that monitor does Freesync just as well as Gsync.
It doesn't. It's an old-style G-Sync monitor with a module. FreeSync won't work with it.

As for the OP's question, I'd wait a while. Prices are only going one way and you can also have a look at the new cards. A 980 Ti can still provide a decent enough gaming experience to be getting on with.

Associate
I would get the 3060ti FE as its only slightly slower than the 3070. Save the rest of your money which you can put to a later update. However, as said above if you can wait 6 months or so the 4070 might be out, https://youtu.be/t9H2PfYDFok

Soldato
As the title says, i'm looking at upgrading my Zotac 980Ti which i bought when they were first released so its a little long in the tooth now.
I have looked at the 3070FE and 3060 ti's as ive around £500 to spend but cant make up my mind to which to chose. I wanna go down the Nvidia route as i have a G-Sync monitor (Acer XB270HU).
I game at 2560 * 1440 and play games like Battlefield, Hitman 3 mostly, what would be a good upgrade from the 980 ti.
Thanks for all and any help i receive.

If you could stretch that £500 a bit I would consider the 3070ti FE, the price reduction is becoming less and less when newer cards come out and this time round the 3xxx is being sold alongside the 4xxx series (as 3xxx is not being considered EOL this time round and is lasting longer) which makes you think the 4xxx supply is going to be short or very expensive. I cant see them lowering the 3xxx price much, more raising the 4xxx price as they know people will pay it.

Basically there are two sides to the arguement and no one knows whats going to happen. The 3xxx launch proved that. If you want a good upgrade now there is nothing wrong with the 3070 FE or 3070ti FE.

BTW whats the rest of your system as you may end up being restricted a bit CPU wise if its old.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently went from a 980ti to a 3700 and the difference was barely noticable in games like bf2042 at 1440p.
It's still a very solid card!

Man of Honour
Yeah I went from a 1070 to a 3070 the performance jump at 1440p or above is huge - not sure what the average is but most games are between 1.7x and 3x the performance.

Back
Top Bottom