Good first small hatchback etc.

Soldato
So i am coming up to the time where I can get a small first car it will need to be one of the small 3 door cars but I dont know which one to go for, so far the ones I can think of are;
older renault clios
ford fiesta (newer and older)
pug 106
cant really think of any others :p
(add any others you think would be a good first small car)
If anyone has anything they can say in regards to these being easy to maintain or any advice would be grateful.

Soldato
OP
hehe Im 17 so insurance is going to be a killer this is the reason for small car, around a 1000 pounds is what I ideally dont want to go over since I will be a noob driver and dont want to spend more han that for fear of crashing.

Soldato
OP
Chris1712 said:
Fiesta 1.25
Clio 1.4
Rover 200/25?

Are the newer fiestas good strong cars, there not ideal but I have heard there strong reliable and easy to repair? the rover 200s are what Iwant but there really quite expensive to insure sadly.

Soldato
Rich1988 said:
Are the newer fiestas good strong cars, there not ideal but I have heard there strong reliable and easy to repair? the rover 200s are what Iwant but there really quite expensive to insure sadly.

You'll find that everything up to about group 7 is £1200 TPFT. Depending on your area obviously, but i have friends with...

FIesta 1.25 Zetec (P)
Fiat Seicento Sporting (T)
Rover 214ie (V)
Astra 1.6 club (W?)
Peugeot 306 dTurbo (P, my old car)

All pay around 1200 TPFT with pass plus. Now most of us are in our second year of drivin, paying around £700 TPFT on them. I'm paying £1100 FC on a W Plate 1.8 Astra SRi now though...

Associate
If I where in your shoes I would get a (non yellow) cinquecento sporting. Very underrated car so quite cheap and only insurance group 3 but looks pretty good. Can get a good one for £700 and a mint one for a grand.

You would be lucky to get a good seicento sporting for around a grand and they look even more girley.

Very perky cars, a p.o.p to park and ace on fuel as well as being not bad handlers. I like to think of them as the 90's mini.

They are also pretty good equipped: bucket seats, leccy windows, ecu immobiliser (hard to nick), alloys and mine even has an airbag though its maybe not the desired car to crash in but what hatchback would you be much better in?

Insurance was very reasonable, at 19 my quote was £800 tpft but that was with pp. Makes a difference from the dull, dusty clios and fiestas you see anyway.

P.S though it's fiat, I’ve had mine 2 years and the only thing that’s gone wrong is a brake light blowing and they don't rust despite what people say about fiats.

Associate
Black is pretty good but hard to keep clean, silver and imola blue metallics are the ones to get but they command a premium.

Red is ok but hard to find ones that aren’t faded and you can go for yellow if you have a feminine side :p but they also fade pre '97.

They are sound cars and easy to fix and cheap parts as fiat still make much of whats on them on the new panda e.g. the 1.1 engine.

Mileage is a little high on that one if they are city miles, you would want to check that it's had it's cambelt done even though its a 'safe' engine. Besides that they are pretty bullet proof engine wise and not bad all round either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom