1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good guy with a gun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craterloads, 26 Jun 2021.

1. Craterloads

Sgarrista

Whoopsie

https://news.sky.com/story/hero-who-gunned-down-cop-killer-shot-dead-himself-by-police-12342413

2. Longbow

Sgarrista

You need to be smart when handling firearms around police, picking up the perpetrators rifle was a big mistake.

3. soundb0y

Mobster

Jesus christ yes.

Even if you are stupid enough to try and be a hero, as soon as you've shot the guy surely disarm your weapon, break it down sling it away from you and get on the ******* floor with your hands behind your head and pray.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

See what that marine/security guy did with the ARs stolen from police vehicles in Seattle - immediately removed the magazine, made them unable to fire and slung them over his shoulder - though still might have got shot by a trigger happy cop responding.

Responding police though should be able to appraise whether someone holding a gun is a threat unless the person is extremely stupid in how they behave - reminds me of the incident a few weeks back in Woodlawn - couple of the cops were reading the situation, in control, etc. but several of the others who turned up were just slinging lead roughly where they thought the threat was until someone told them to stop. With some of the recent situations like the one where a guy tried to "John Wick" and managed to shoot 2 of the 4 cops around him I can understand them being pretty jumpy right now.

5. bingham67

Soldato

I thought good guy with a gun was USA main defence mechanism for shootings.

6. Hotwired

Sgarrista

Not going to apologise until the civil claim is settled in case the apology is used to make the claim bigger :p

7. Longbow

Sgarrista

Given that their fellow police officer was laying dead on the ground, I think it is understandable that they didn't second guess. If they hesitated they could have been next, so they fired.

Well the perpetrator was killed, but the "good guy with a gun" concept doesn't mean continuing to brandish a firearm as police swarm in after one of theirs has just been shot.

8. Efour

Caporegime

Its the circle of life.

9. Delvis

Caporegime

Harsh man, as others have said hindsight and all that should have been on the floor and unarmed himself with witnesses or something :(

Who knows, maybe he was disarming the AR when the police arrived

10. Freakbro

Capodecina

Lolamerica

11. Uther

Capodecina

Shoot first, ask questions later. Stupid ****** up country.

12. godinman

Sgarrista

I'll withhold judgment until the bodycam footage is released, otherwise it's just pointless speculation.

13. Destination

Capodecina

It is.
    And it worked.
    and then another good guy with another gun shot him too.
    Process working at intended :p

14. Jono8

Caporegime

It's almost like letting everyone have a gun is not a good idea.

15. soundb0y

Mobster

Surpirsed they haven't made it mandatory for citizens to carry in public instead.

16. Chris Wilson

Soldato

Brave yet so tragic.

17. Fatboy123

Associate

......or table legs.
    I'll get my coat.

18. BallistixOnZ490

Wise Guy

Proof that guns work as intended.

To reduce the numbers of humans. They should be legal everywhere for that reason alone.

19. BowdonUK

Soldato

Why didn't the responding officer try to engage verbally with Johnny Hurley? I think we can guess the guy wasn't pointing the weapon at the officer who shot him.

It seems this officer turned up to the scene literally all guns blazing.

The police should be bending over backwards for this guys family and give him a proper send off.

This is what I don't like about the American police, while I understand the stakes are a lot higher when guns are involved, when mistakes are made they don't take full responsibility for it. The officer in question should have some form of punishment. He shot an innocent man due to his attitude. I can see how an understandable case can be made in defense of the cop. But at the end of the day he shot an innocent man! Even if he didnt realise it at the time I'd feel pretty crappy if that was me. Shooting an innocent man who had defended your cop brother.

20. The Running Man

Caporegime

The most important question here is clearly, what race was he?