Good (out of the box) track oriented cars

Soldato
Come this time next year I may end up replacing the MINI with another track focused car. Problem is that I'm not entirely sure what I'd go for. The ideal (will see how business goes next year) replacement would obviously be a GT3 (997.2).

Excluding the above. What else is worth considering?

Man of Honour
Running costs on the GT3 would be a challenge if you use it a lot, but they are the very best all around road/track/road trip car in my view. The M3 CSL still stands the test well or a nicely built E92 M3 track car, budget 45K to get something proper quick with proper set up, weight out and cage.

Lotus would be my choice over a Caterham, XBow's needs work to be right.

Soldato
Lotus Exige. It’s major benefit for track use being its light weight and relatively low cost consumables.

As Housey says running a GT3 as a track car will run up some serious bills, but as a decent day to day car that can drive to the track and drive round it it’s a good proposition.

Soldato
OP
Running costs on the GT3 would be a challenge if you use it a lot, but they are the very best all around road/track/road trip car in my view. The M3 CSL still stands the test well or a nicely built E92 M3 track car, budget 45K to get something proper quick with proper set up, weight out and cage.

Lotus would be my choice over a Caterham, XBow's needs work to be right.

A friend of my had turned his E92 into a really good track / fast road car!

As I said though. I'd be looking for something out of the box... I dont really want to feel the need to mod the next car. Just maintain it.

Soldato
Would people throw an mx-5 into the mix. Cheaper than those mentioned even with mods. Although you want out the box.

Especially as it's only going to be used occasionally?

Disclaimer: not someone who has ventured into owning track cars or as someone who has ever had enough disposable for a track car...

Man of Honour
A friend of my had turned his E92 into a really good track / fast road car!

As I said though. I'd be looking for something out of the box... I dont really want to feel the need to mod the next car. Just maintain it.
My suggestion was buy one built already, not buy and build. :)

Caporegime
I’m assuming given you’ve mentioned a GT3 that you have a substantial budget in which case I’d be looking at @Gibbo ’s M3 thread I wouldn’t go for a CSL - they are expensive and you’d arguably kill much of its value by modifying it too much - but a regular e46 with money thrown at it would be my thought process especially having followed Gibbo’s exploits and given his praise of the e46 not to mention the type of cars he’s ran and tracked.

Out of the box would I’d guess mean a GT3 but I’m sure you’d soon be adding to it which almost negates the out of the box requirement if you see what I mean!

Why change the Mini out of interest? I ask because my boss is a track nut and full on petrol head (daily driver of a 458) but he’s got a track prepared Mini (built by Lohen https://www.lohen.co.uk/ ) which he trailers to circuits and when I asked him if he ever tracked the Ferrari his response was no because the Mini was better!

I suppose it boils down to requirements, if it needs the compromise of being a road car as well as a track toy then I guess your options are limited, what’s the deal with regard to that aspect?

Soldato
OP
The GP is a great car. On the road and even better on track. I also visit Lohen on a regular basis..... After looking at my invoices from them I think I go there way too often lol.

Anyway I like be this car to bits. However, at some point I would love to own something a little higher up the track oriented food chain.

With regards to requirements. It will need to be road legal... That's about it. Don't really care about practically.

Associate
Ariel Atom 4?

It’s road legal, but definitely not practical.

Hardly anyone will be overtaking you, unless they are running something that starts with the word “Formula” :p

Soldato
OP
Okay... It needs to have a roof.

The lotus suggestions do sound interesting. Never driven one. Sat in an old elise recent. And that was a bit of a tight fit.

Soldato
Unless you want massive bills, stick to something like an Elise (not mega powerful, but light and simple).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom