Good quality earbuds?

Man of Honour
For a long time for general PC use when not needing a microphone for gaming or doing serious music listening, etc. I've been using various earbuds from the upper end of the Sennheiser MX range such as the MX760, 580, etc. due to the comfort for longer sessions and having a reasonable level of performance with a smooth, easy, open sound with good separation but of late Sennheiser seems to have killed off all but the MX365/375 which don't really cut it with some frequency ranges noticeably recessed and durability lacking and I'm starting to get through my stock of spares.

Don't really have a budget as such but looking for recommendation for earbuds not in-ear (canal), ideally light and comfortable - I don't generally have problems with them staying in my ears. Looking for a fairly open, airy sound with good separation and about as good detail as you can expect from earbuds. Not too worried bass wise aslong as it isn't either missing or overpowering the rest of the range.

Man of Honour
OP
Still need a recommendation?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32687542028.html

Don't worry about the price. Cheap Chinese earbuds are the go-to for earbuds these days. These Fengru's sound almost on par, fidelity wise, to my DT770 Pros. For £4 it's worth a go - they are raved about on head-fi as well.

A lot of these are based on clones of the MX500 drivers - not bad but not really what I want. Thanks though.

I'm still looking/considering.

I love Sony MDR-EX450AP and would recommend them.

I have a couple of sets of the full size MDR but I'm not looking for in ear cannal just the buds that sit in the outer part of the ear.

Man of Honour
OP
Sony Xba-4's. The bees knees if you want to pay. Using these they are fantastic:
https://www.whathifi.com/sony/xba-4ip/review

I'm happy to pay to get what I want. They don't look like I could forget they were in my ears very easily though and really I want something I can still hear when people come to the door, etc. hence one of the reasons I'm not really looking for in ear canal ones just the earbuds that sit in the outer ear.

Soldato
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/phi...ow-can-something-sound-so-good-for-10.561951/

This is what changed it for me when it comes to IEM's, I understand you probably have a budget and expectations. To this day there are versions of the 3580 you can buy for a fiver or less, and they sound amazing for what they are. Highly recommend looking into or buying the same.

I used to avoid IEM's like the plague, bought cheap crap for going to the gym with etc. When I found the above it changed a lot for me, no exaggeration at all.

Soldato
I'm happy to pay to get what I want. They don't look like I could forget they were in my ears very easily though and really I want something I can still hear when people come to the door, etc. hence one of the reasons I'm not really looking for in ear canal ones just the earbuds that sit in the outer ear.
I understand that but out of all of my headphones-for portability and convenience, you can't beat them musically. I have the Denon AHD 2000, Senheiser Amperior, Philips Fidelio X2, Bowers and Wilkins PX. Take a look a the Bowers and Wilkins PX wireless-also very good and comfortable: you could forget your wearing them.

Man of Honour
OP
I understand that but out of all of my headphones-for portability and convenience, you can't beat them musically. I have the Denon AHD 2000, Senheiser Amperior, Philips Fidelio X2, Bowers and Wilkins PX. Take a look a the Bowers and Wilkins PX wireless-also very good and comfortable: you could forget your wearing them.

I'm specifically looking for earbuds and not really the in canal ones either - I already have some Sony headphones for similar functionality to the Bowers and Wilkins PX.

Man of Honour
OP
No problem..I think I just let my enthusiasm get the better of me. Good luck with finding something appropriate

I appreciate the suggestions but I have a rather specific set of requirements - which are probably a bit different to what people generally use earphones for.

Back
Top Bottom