Good value air cooler for 6600k

Associate
Hi all, I'm helping a friend build a new PC, I need to find a cpu cooler for him and I've not really been keeping up with them recently. He's going to be getting an i5 6600k on a MATX motherboard (exact one still TBD) and the system will be in a BitFenix Prodigy M case.
He's not going to be trying for benchmarking records but a little light overclocking capability would be good whilst also remaining pretty quiet.
Ideally budget is about £30, so what's the best around that level?

Thanks,

Ross

Associate
scythe katana 4?

scythe have the lowest low rpm pwm fan speed normally 300rpm, while still having the highspeed at the top end, certainly in the mid price market.

Soldato
Ive got a hyper 212 evo on mine. Extremely quiet with a mild OC on my 4670k. Recommend low profile ram tho.

Will he be using the 3.5" HDD cage that attaches on the side?

Associate
Check out the Cryorig H7, cooler and quieter and looks better than the 212 Evo, available for £29.99 from a competitor :) I have one on my overclocked 6600K and its great.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies all. He'll only have 1 3.5" drive and 1 SSD in the system but I've not used this case before so I'm not sure exactly what mountings he'll need for them. As it's a small case I want to be sure I only recommend something that will definitely fit. I think ram wise he's looking at Corsair Vengeance LPX at the moment.

Associate
The RAM should allow most coolers then. it is technically "low profile". sometimes case manufacturers say what the max heatsink height they can support is, so make sure to check that.

Soldato
Almost all SDRAM used industry standard RAM uses normal printed circuit boards which have industry stndard sizes and are 30-31.5mm tall. DDR3 is 30mm and DDRr is a little taller at 31.35mm This is industry standard size. Not 'low profile' or 'tall', just normal RAM height.

But RAM snake oil advertising hyping flim-flam artists pushed all kinds of fancy tall heat spreaders that are not needed and do little cooling, if any .. sometimes increase RAM temps. Then when we have problems fitting other components charges us more money for RAM without their big tall foofoo on them. Nothing but advertising propganda. ;p

Once upon a time the 212 was a good economical cooler, but those days are gone. There are all kinds of good £20-40 coolers. I generally prefer 140mm fanned coolers because the usually give a little better cooling with a little less noise, but this is not always true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom