Good weekend car?

Caporegime
Pff, I'm dailying an old Elise S2 at the moment which is 90% the same as the VX220. They aren't uncomfortable in standard spec, the stock Bilstein coilovers provide a smoother ride than the hot hatches I've owned and the seats are memory foam!. The heater is amazing (as on most soft tops), AC works too. It also sticks to the road better than most things even in the wet and cold :)
And they get good fuel economy, better than most hot hatches. Lol

Permabanned
Nothing is wrong with the engines. You won't find something that durable in a German car.
Ah sorry must have mistook your post :).

The problem I find with most modern cars is they are so sterile and largely boring. Live a little and take a gamble or an educated one and have some fun ;).

Soldato
A 111R is a bucket list car for me. I love the 2ZZ engine, I'd love to experience it in a proper lightweight RWD sports car chassis.

Many say the 1zz cars are nicer to use on the road as you aren't constantly chasing the 2nd cam. They have loads of low down torque with a nice power curve.

Caporegime
Many say the 1zz cars are nicer to use on the road as you aren't constantly chasing the 2nd cam. They have loads of low down torque with a nice power curve.
I'm used to chasing the second cam though, and the cam changeover is lower than I'm used to with the Lotus ECU :) Who knows, few years and we'll see if I can afford one or t'other.

Associate

The irony being, everyone slags off the 1zz in the MR2 Roadster, and they always say a 2zz is a no brainer. While I appreciate the MR2 was no rocketship, I didn’t find the 1zz that bad in it at all to be honest especially with a decent free flowing exhaust, even sounded reasonably good!

OP, what about an MX5 NC BBR Turbo? I’ve had two NA MX5s but the NC seems different enough to warrant a look? Albeit I’m going for it as a sort of daily drive as well. I saw one on ebay last week for £5.5K

Associate
OP
We've decided that it might be better to have more than 2 seats to give us a bit more flexibility.

This has changed the game somewhat and I am now considering an EP3 type R, Focus ST and maybe a VW Rocco...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
We've decided that it might be better to have more than 2 seats to give us a bit more flexibility.

This has changed the game somewhat and I am now considering an EP3 type R, Focus ST and maybe a VW Rocco...
Those 3 cars aren't weekend cars at all; they're just cars. Scirocco is just a golf in a frock. Why not just get a Golf GTI?

Soldato
Weekend cars aren't supposed to be practical or flexible! Theyre for one thing - blasting b roads on a Saturday morning. :D

Soldato
Those are still just normal cars too. Same as the other Mercs, just a bigger engine.

An old Westfield is a weekend car for 5k.

Weekend cars tend to go wrong more often due to lack of use, you really dont want the kind of bills that fixing an AMG produces.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might not be your thing but considered a classic car of some flavour? Potentially more work to maintain and not sure what you’d get for £5K but arguably more rewarding if your into that.

Back
Top Bottom