Goodwood Festival of Speed 2017

Associate
watching the live blog online, loving the little videos they are putting up. Kamaz truck sliding sideways looks instersting!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Had a great time today, didn't get to watch as much of the hill as I would have liked usually, but my son was keen to visit all the stands and exhibits.
Still very enjoyable and just watched the shootout live after getting home :)

Associate
Caporegime
I'm tempted to go to this every year, but always forget about it until it's too late.

What are the crowds like? Do you have to get there stupidly early and camp to get a decent viewing spot?

We had a hotel in Portsmouth. We left at 7:30am and still got stuck in traffic but got in about half 8 on the Sunday and it was pretty good. Although I had to be a bit pushy to get into the decent car park up near the paddocks as the parking stewards are a bit arsey. If you want a decent viewing spot I would just get a chair and park up outside the house as that seems the best spot for me. Do not expect to go look around and walk up and get a decent viewing spot however. That's why it is best to do several days as you can do a section at a time. If you are only going to do a single day however I would recommend a grand stand ticket.

Associate
I was there this year for the 2nd time, I'm lucky enough to be in the Kinrara enclosure so don't have to worry about crowds or getting a good viewing spot

It is a fantastic event though, I'd highly recommend it but I think you need 2 days really. One day to watch the hill and another to wander around at all the stands etc.

Traffic isn't too bad if you can navigate your way around the back rounds, stay away from the main roads and it isn't too bad

Transmission breaker
Don
Yup, come in from the country lanes from the north, follow the signs, and you drive straight in, no worries.
Got stuck last year trying to come around from the main roads, and didnt get in till 1pm. That was the first year I went that way, as my brother said he knew a shortcut :(

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yeah, I stay in Reading area and take the hours drive in, much easier. Don't see any more than 30 mins of traffic in or out. It's very well organised.

My third time this weekend, went for two days. I think next time I'm gonna get basic Grandstand access however. It was much busier this time and it's only getting bigger. I did enjoy it and saw all I wanted to see, but this event no matter how long you go for leaves you with anxiety you didn't see it all. 3rd time there and still not made it to the rally stages.

It's structured really well though, mostly runs on time and barring any mechanical issues, all the cars run twice a day so you can plan what you see run vs exploring the plethora of other stuff going on.

Highlight was riding in an F-Type for a few skids, that was fun, great drivers and what a car. Even the V6, quality place to sit.

There's no event like it for getting up close and personal with running vehicles of all disciplines, seeing your hero cars and sometimes heroes driving them in all their glory. The access is just unparalleled. The crowds are an issue, but it's so so worth it. Plan the day right with the schedule and you'll come away happy.

Soldato
I was there on Saturday. Had a great time. Really, the best thing to do - unless ASLEF are being idiots - is to come in by train to Chichester and get the bus. If you're coming by car, you should aim to arrive as early as possible, and no later than 08:00. I also like to leave early, before the rush.

Soldato
Merc and BMW (and I'm sure other manufacturers too) have good areas for the owners. I went in 2014 and 2015 and went in the Merc one first thing in the morning and had a coffee while watching everything go by at T1. You show them your keys to get in so just buy some cheap fake keys on ebay :p

Back
Top Bottom